Adding Power Liftgate | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Power Liftgate

To clarify, the kit is for 2014 - 2017 Explorers. One thing that the OEM liftgate has is a height adjustable feature which is very handy when opening it in the garage. I didn't see any mention if this add on kit allows for that.

Peter
I received their reply. This is what they said.

"
we confirm you can adjust height per following -

Manually lift gate to proper height, long press gate button until you hear a beep, then short press gate button, the gate then close, you will need to push the gate to locked position. Done."

Hope its clear now :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Has anyone ordered this? I am thinking of ordering this, just sent them(Che1) an email waiting for a response.

i have rigged mine up to open using a door popper(solenoid to pull manual latch) and 2 high pressure gas struts the same length as the factory ones. When you activate the door popper it unlatches the gate and the struts push the hatch up.

i have rigged mine up to open using a door popper(solenoid to pull manual latch) and 2 high pressure gas struts the same length as the factory ones. When you activate the door popper it unlatches the gate and the struts push the hatch up.
Welcome to the Forum Tom.:wave:
If I'm thinking about this system configuration correctly, you would still have to manually close it. Is that right?

Peter

I'm curious as to how hard that is to close now?

yes, this set up only works to "open" and it is not hard at all to close. I use this setup to let the dog out of the rear hatch area when needed.

If you want an installed power lift gate option, check out your areas highest end audio shop. They are getting more into modifications like this since much fewer people are installing head units and such.

After having my Explorer for a couple of years I'm going to be honest and say that I think I would rather have manual struts. The system is too slow as it takes 7 seconds to open where other OEMs can open in about 3-4. I've had the lift gate button on the fob get smashed just right in my pocket to where it opened in my garage and the liftgate hit the edge of my toolbox causing a scratch.

It seems you can only safely open the LG when it has no interference the whole way. With a manual you can crack it just far enough as you need it, if its backed up to a wall, etc.

It's more of show off feature than a comfort feature to me.

When the struts die they are going to be replaced with regular gas struts.

I feel the same way about the folding 3rd row.
I would rather have the manual opening also. I hate waiting for it to open, it takes way too long.

I would rather have the manual opening also. I hate waiting for it to open, it takes way too long.

Several ways to solve this.

By the time I walk out of my house into the garage and get to the back, it is open. I open the rear in a parking lot about 20 feet away and it is open by the time I get there.

And lastly, if it goes to slow, just grab it and open it faster. There is nothing wrong with opening it yourself once it has started moving.

Problem solved.

From the 2015 Owner's Manual;
You can enable or disable the power liftgate using the information
display. The remote control and instrument panel button will still operate
the liftgate regardless of the setting.

That should solve your problem.

Peter

......And lastly, if it goes to slow, just grab it and open it faster. There is nothing wrong with opening it yourself once it has started moving.

Problem solved.
Except for this warning;
Note: Allow the power system to open the liftgate after pressing the
control. Manually pushing or pulling the liftgate may activate the
system’s obstacle detection feature and stop the power operation.

Peter

Except for this warning;
Note: Allow the power system to open the liftgate after pressing the
control. Manually pushing or pulling the liftgate may activate the
system’s obstacle detection feature and stop the power operation.

Peter

In the 6 1/2 years I have had mine, it has never activated that when I either opened or closed it faster.

I could see if you were trying to prevent it from opening or closing, but to assist it faster, I don't see it being a problem.

There are a lot of disclaimer type warnings Ford puts in the manuals.

I do open it manually sometimes. I don't like doing it all the time as it feels like i'm forcing something that should be left to do what it is designed to do.

I had to open mine manually when the battery was dying last christmas. when in power save mode it will not open. it unlatches - and the lights turn off.

or that's what mine did. Opened it - closed it gently - got in and attempted to start, and it did start. but I kept my cables in the back seat till I got a new battery.

(I keep a set in that cubby hole in the back)

I have ford explorer 2015 XLT with manual power liftgate, just recently I installed aftermarket power liftgate (Power Lift Gate – Autoease) and its working absolutely fine. I have 5 button keyfob which I programmed yesterday... and this keyfob is working fine.. Its starting my car and already I installed remote start OEM from ford.. and its working.. however just tailgate not opening from the keyfob.. i am sure that I need to activate this feature from forscan.. it would be great if someone tell me how to do it because i am new to forscan and didn't try this software before.. I just backed up my As-Built data ... any help would be appreciated..

Also i want to mount dash button to open liftgate, can anyone here please guide me that which wiring should be done for dash button installation?

Update: I fixed power liftgate button.. i made the hole in the panel and fit the dash button, and gave connection to tailgate ... and its working perfectly.. also I installed foot sensor, now the liftgate is opening via foot sensor as well (just like in explorer 2016+), just one thing is remaining for me; liftgate is not opening from remote. I enabled the liftgate feature via forscan as well, but after enabling it from forscan liftgate doesnt work. I have 5 button orignal keyfob.. remote start is already there and its working from remote...

Any clue or suggestion anyone can provide to make it work via remote?

It’s an aftermarket system. Is it even designed to work with Fords CAN network? You have a link to the installation instructions I maybe able to see something in there. Depends on where the wiring harness connects and what to. If it doesn’t connect to the CAN system then it’s not going to work with the remote.

It’s an aftermarket system. Is it even designed to work with Fords CAN network? You have a link to the installation instructions I maybe able to see something in there. Depends on where the wiring harness connects and what to. If it doesn’t connect to the CAN system then it’s not going to work with the remote.

This is aftermarket system. Yes they have Canbus which is connected to orignal OBD PORT.

Please check attached images.

IMG-20180328-WA0102.jpg

20180328_161211.jpg

This is aftermarket system. Yes they have Canbus which is connected to orignal OBD PORT.

Please check attached images.

View attachment 157119

View attachment 157120

Has there been any update to this? I am very interested in this but want to know if I can use the factory fob like the ad says

{edit} forgot to mention that I have factory electric manual gate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
In your edit you say you have the factory "electric manual gate". I don't see how you can have both. It is either a power liftgate (electric) or a manual one (non powered).

Peter

Back