• Register Today It's free!

Add hands free liftgate?

Al’s XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Diamond Bar CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Hello all. New to the forum. Recently picked up a 2018 XLT with power liftgate but not with hands free option.

Found the hands free module listed as part number GB5Z14B291D.

My question is, would adding this part be the only thing I need in order to add the hands free (“kick activated”) liftgate option?

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom!

Best Regards,
Al

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Added signature after posting this. Replying to see if sig shows up.

Added signature after posting this. Replying to see if sig shows up.
Not from the mobile site it doesn’t or at least seems that way

I have the hands free lift gate and from what I have experienced it isn't worth it.

Half the time it doesn't work even when you place your foot into the same location. Then it works on one side and not the other.

I find it a lot easier to free up a hand and either hit the buttons on the remote or just open it manually.

I have the hands free lift gate and from what I have experienced it isn't worth it.

Half the time it doesn't work even when you place your foot into the same location. Then it works on one side and not the other.

I find it a lot easier to free up a hand and either hit the buttons on the remote or just open it manually.

That stinks. Are doing the “kicking” motion? It’s actually my wife’s vehicle and was thinking it would help her when she’s out and about with baby.

I’ve been finding mixed reviews about it on here. Some are quite pleased and others like you are unimpressed.

Just figured if all it would take me is that $40 module then I’d be willing to take a chance.

Actually, mine on 2018 Edge working 100%, even slight kick motion not all the way under the bumper activates it and same to close it.
I think it is possible to add this feature, but it might be not just the module, but a sensor and a wiring harness as well (unless there is some, which I doubt). Most likely, hands free module is a controlling module which gathers info from sensor and sends commands to power liftgate.
Moreover, ForScan activation of the feature will be needed as well.

Not from the mobile site it doesn’t or at least seems that way
Your signature line is there.
I have found the hands free feature very handy at times when I needed it. Although on occasion it requires a couple of 'kick' it works most of the time on the first attempt. I have also tripped it to close a few times when unloading things. You will require sensors if they are not part of the module and I'm not sure about the wiring aspect. There was another thread started on this but it turned out the OP was using a swiping back and forth motion instead of a kicking motion. Turned out he had the feature all along. Is the Hands Free Liftgate Module an item I can install myself?

Peter

Back