Adding Power Liftgate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Power Liftgate

c64

Reaction score
I'm picking up my explorer xlt monday, but it doesn't come with a power lift gate. Is it possible to be installed by the dealer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to know this as well. Been researching fordparts.com but no sign of power tailgate.

I asked my local dealer about this before i ordered my car. We wanted the lift-gate but the one on the lot didn't have it. The dealer got in contact with Ford and according to him, it is factory installed only because of all the electronics involved. So, we ordered one instead and we love it.

I'm willing to bet it can be done.. it's just at what cost... You have the electronic button on the talegate to open it.. the button under the tailgate when open to close it, the button to the left of the steering column to open it from the inside.. the motor assembly and then any programming needed and all the wiring you'd need.

I asked my local dealer about this before i ordered my car. We wanted the lift-gate but the one on the lot didn't have it. The dealer got in contact with Ford and according to him, it is factory installed only because of all the electronics involved. So, we ordered one instead and we love it.

Unfortunately it is true... I just asked my dealer and he said it can't be done.
(I'm sure technically it can but like you said at what cost.)

whoa whoa wait a second. Wasn't there posts earlier on about people having the power lift gate being installed at the dealership and receiving two new keyfobs with the fourth button on it?

whoa whoa wait a second. Wasn't there posts earlier on about people having the power lift gate being installed at the dealership and receiving two new keyfobs with the fourth button on it?

No, I think you are thinking of the remote starter.

Hey guys,

I looked into this and found that GregV8 is right that there is no Ford approved install to add on a power lift gate. Let me know if you have any other questions you would like me to research!

Cory

And for the record, I love the fact that Ford is actively participating in forums! You guys get huge respect from me for doing that.

I’m not sure which thread you mean, but I double checked and a Ford approved install to add a power lift gate isn’t available.

And for the record, I love the fact that Ford is actively participating in forums! You guys get huge respect from me for doing that.
Thank you! I love being a part of this community! I’m happy to be here to make sure you’re pleased with your purchase. :)

Cory

I’m not sure which thread you mean, but I double checked and a Ford approved install to add a power lift gate isn’t available.

Thank you! I love being a part of this community! I’m happy to be here to make sure you’re pleased with your purchase. :)

Cory

Hey Cory,

Where's the Canadian rep on this forum? I know you guys work for Ford US. Kind of a drag theres no representation for us north of the border. I'm gonna call Ford Canada and give em a blast. :D

Hey Cory,

Where's the Canadian rep on this forum? I know you guys work for Ford US. Kind of a drag theres no representation for us north of the border. I'm gonna call Ford Canada and give em a blast. :D
I hear what you're saying. But, you never know what may happen in the future. For now you can still call them for assistance, or let me know, and I will see what I can do to help.

Cory

Refresh!!

Hi, I am the proud owner of a 2015 Explorer Sport and I am curious if there has been any updates to the approved power lift gates in the past 4 years.

Thank you!

You can't add it... nothing has changed.

You can't add it... nothing has changed.

Well yeah you can. Though it is not cost effective at all unless you magically find a 2011-Up Explorer at a U-pull junkyard that hasn't been stripped down to the unibody. And also have access to IDS software.

You would need the following:

2 Pinch Strips
1 Liftgate Motor
1 Liftgate Control Unit (doesn't need flashing)
1 Liftgate Latch
1 Liftgate Rear Control Switch
1 Front Switch

All connectors pigtails for each switch, motor, control unit.

Hard part is getting the coding for the BCM (Body Control Module). The hardware for these is usually the same across all explorers, the coding or vehicle parameters are different for each variation of car.

The BCM controls power to the liftgate module and also sends the following messages to liftgate module for it to work via CAN:
Power liftgate mode command - is PL disabled
Ignition switch position
PRNDL status
Vehicle speed

You would have to find a vehicle that has power liftgate and copy the coding and then reflash the BCM with this coding.

You would have to be the type of person that wouldn't mind tearing apart there own car and spending a whole weekend running wires from the front to the back.

Took me 24 hours straight to add power windows, locks, and cruise control to my Ranger and that was with full wiring harness replacement.

I would do it if I had a donor car, but I would be gutting the whole passenger harness, dash harness and liftgate harness.

Well yeah you can. Though it is not cost effective at all unless you magically find a 2011-Up Explorer at a U-pull junkyard that hasn't been stripped down to the unibody. And also have access to IDS software.

You would need the following:

2 Pinch Strips
1 Liftgate Motor
1 Liftgate Control Unit (doesn't need flashing)
1 Liftgate Latch
1 Liftgate Rear Control Switch
1 Front Switch

All connectors pigtails for each switch, motor, control unit.

Hard part is getting the coding for the BCM (Body Control Module). The hardware for these is usually the same across all explorers, the coding or vehicle parameters are different for each variation of car.

The BCM controls power to the liftgate module and also sends the following messages to liftgate module for it to work via CAN:
Power liftgate mode command - is PL disabled
Ignition switch position
PRNDL status
Vehicle speed

You would have to find a vehicle that has power liftgate and copy the coding and then reflash the BCM with this coding.

You would have to be the type of person that wouldn't mind tearing apart there own car and spending a whole weekend running wires from the front to the back.

Took me 24 hours straight to add power windows, locks, and cruise control to my Ranger and that was with full wiring harness replacement.

I would do it if I had a donor car, but I would be gutting the whole passenger harness, dash harness and liftgate harness.

Exactly, can't be done.

Installing a power lift gate in a 2015 Limited

I just bought a 2015 Limited Explorer. I had it down to 2 different colors and bought the charcoal grey as it matched my super duty, plus it had the sunroof.

After I got home I missed the obvious that the white one had the power lift gate and the charcoal one didn't.

So... has anyone added it to there Explorer? Does anyone know if is as simple as it seems? Any advice? (other then don't me lazy and use the handle)

I can't really comment about the ford as I don't have one either but I had one on my highlander and it was completely differente down to the entire door itself and the trunk was a few inches narrower as the huge motor was behind the panel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a 2015 Limited Explorer. I had it down to 2 different colors and bought the charcoal grey as it matched my super duty, plus it had the sunroof.

After I got home I missed the obvious that the white one had the power lift gate and the charcoal one didn't.

So... has anyone added it to there Explorer? Does anyone know if is as simple as it seems? Any advice? (other then don't me lazy and use the handle)

I've merged your thread with an existing thread on here that I found using the search function on the forum.

To sum up quickly for you, it can't be done.

Back