Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Automatic door unlock via outside handle

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by JETZ, December 7, 2016.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. JETZ

JETZ Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2012 Explorer Limited
    Lately when I attempt to open my door it doesn't unlock automatically when grabbing the handle, and I have to use my fob. When I have parked, and locked it to go into a store as an a example, and come back it works like it should.
    Anyone else have an issue like this? Just to add, sometime I get a 'no key detected', but I still can start the car. Maybe the key fob battery is weak...but still works manually?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    If you've never changed the fob battery that would be a good and cheap place to start in order to eliminate that as the issue. Have you tried both fobs?
    I had a similar issue with the MKT last year where it was intermittent and then stopped working. I went and retrieved the second fob and the unlock/lock worked again. I then tried the initial fob and it also worked again. I pit the second one away and continued using the initial one until I returned the vehicle. BTW I edited the title to distinguish it from the other 'unlock/lock' threads.

Peter

Last edited: December 7, 2016
  4. Bill #5 Explorer

Bill #5 Explorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Chicago Area
    2016 Explorer XLT
    Having this problem now. Car in the shop today. Passanger door handle works fine. Driver's door does not. Shop said they see corrosion in some electrical connection for the door. Ordering new parts, and should be fine. I'll post more info when I pick the car up, or when I get the final repair done in a few weeks.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    I didn't mention it in my post above but my passenger door also worked.

6. JETZ

JETZ Active Member

2012 Explorer Limited
    Well, had to open the pass door for a female friend, and didn't work, had to use the fob. Did it again later in the day and it worked. :banghead:
    Will Check my battery, but I don't think that's the issue.