BD's 2000 Explorer Limited | Page 50 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

BD's 2000 Explorer Limited

2000 Explorer Limited

-Picked her up (10/13/2010)
-140,093 miles when I test drove it
-5.0 V8, AWD
-Pearl White
-Dark grey leather interior

My dream explorer basically, no more old ones, no more sports, I finally have an Explorer that I love everything about!

I absolutely love the limited, its got:
-Seats w/ headrests
-Memory power seats
-Heated/Puddle mirrors
-Better mirror without all the buttons, just the slider
-Painted to match bumpers and grille
-Woodgrain radio bezel
-Digital HVAC controls
-And its got the homelink visor with a nifty little voice recorder that I will probably never use LOL

And alot more, but im just in awe over its nice features compared to my previous rides. They even recently (In the past few months) had a brand new hitch installed and the trailer harness all wired up.

I dont have any set plans for this one yet, I do have hopes and dreams though, and im stoked about the V8 that has so many options.

Dream list:
-Torque Monster headers
-Custom Tune
-LED tails (Something custom maybe, I just need to study up on resistors and whatnot)
-BMW projectors in a blacked out housing

It does have a few problems that id like some help with, (Fixed all, besides this one)
1. The blower only works when its on all the way high, (Same thing in my grandam, but it was the blower motor resistor then everything worked great) is that a common problem on the digital HVACs?

"For sure" plans include:
-New rims, id like to get a nice 5-spoke set of 20's with a beefy tire
-Paint job in the spring, black
-Some interior accents (Id like todo another metallic blue color like I did in my grandam)

He was asking 3400$ in the ad, but I talked him and his wife down to 2900$ because I was pointing all the little problems out that I mentioned above.

I didnt get a chance to really take any pictures, as it was raining, and almost dark by the time I got home.

10-13-201011-32-20PM.png

IMG_1254.jpg

IMG_1255.jpg

I was bored on the way home so I took some random "driving" pictures :D

IMG_1252.jpg

My friend was driving my Grand Am in front of me, I have a Avic-F700BT in there that will also be going into the Explorer, he was using the GPS to get us back home

I was extremely happy also, I was averaging 16.2 MPG driving with a decently heavy foot getting the feel for the V8 I was controlling :D

IMG_1251.jpg

Edit- 1/21/11
New parts!

Hubs
Tie rod ends
Lower ball joints
Upper ball joints (Control arms)
Tires: Firestone Destination A/T's 255/70/R16's
Brake Pads

Soon:
Slotted (And drilled maybe) Rotors
Better pads
New shocks
Leafs
Shackles
Amsoil (In everything!)
Rebuilding tranny (And possibly a valve body kit)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 2002+ seats can be made to fit, I've read of it being done. If you do want a different seat, I'd make that a project that will take a little time.

I bought a cheap set of Summit seats hoping for even more side support. It will require making a base to mount between the seat and seat track. I'm going to get it made out of 1/2" or 3/4" square tubing. It will need four thread inserts built into it, and four holes to mount to the seat. So it can be done, but it'll take some work.

Attachments

• DC2 style seat.JPG
    DC2 style seat.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 450

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Those would support me enough I think :D

Are they wide enough though? :D

(Hey- I can say that!)

You can make just about any Ford seat fit, you may have to drill a couple of new holes into the seat frame. That's what I did in mounting some Thunderbird seats in my 1991 SHO.

100_1892.jpg

100_1890.jpg

I dont have anyone who can weld though; I was reading that everyone was saying for the most part, your gonna have to weld new frames and whatnot.

Id love a couple of captains chairs like out of a Navi:thumbsup: I would just modify my center console to only have the computer, and cupholders pretty much.

I used the Thunderbird seats and mounted them to the power seat frame from the SHO.

I had to drill new holes through the power seat frame, then run the bolts through there into the seats. No welding, the originals are just bolted to the power seat frame.

Glad to know that...maybe ill hit up some junkyards today in search of some new seats.

Now I have another question. Im on Discount Tires website, and any "AWD" I click for tire size to see different rims, it just tells me that I require special wheels and tires.

Do I need to look for anything particular when looking for rims? (Ive been on craigslist for the last month or two hoping some nice 18's or 20's will popup for a good deal.)

Discount tire is horrible about that, they want you to call or come in because of the Ex tire issues...

Thats what I figured, probably since its AWD too?

But will any 5x4.5 rim fit? (IF it has the right offset and whatnot) Or is there some kind of difference because im AWD?

I ask because I see alot of ads that say FWD rims, RWD rims, etc...

(Thanks!!!!) I have a few ads saved to my favorites

Little girl cleans up beautifully! I had at it with a magic eraser...those things work wonders!
IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

Ive kicked myself so many times for not grabbing the door from LKQ!
IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0042.jpg

Here are the rims im looking at:
3n93md3oc5U25P65S6b6e2ee2c1af5a3d115e.jpg

They're brand new basically he says, no pitting, scratches, chips, etc. Hes at work right now but he said theyre 5 lug universal, and hes in Jackson (Close to where I was yesterday! :mad:), Well only a little over halfway but im gonna try and talk him down to 350$ for them; he says he sold the vehicle they bought them for, and theyve been sitting in his basement and he NEEDs the cash. Tires are new (500 miles on them total)

Well I finished Dynamatting, there were a few spots it would have been too much work to get, but I got about 90% of what I was hoping to get done. (Besides the roof)

I also got sick of my big box being where my backseats should be, and having it leaning against my seat not being able to adjust it at all, so I got the panels back in, and got the box on the mount I made. I havent carpeted it yet, or mounted the amp, but its gonna look like this (With carpet, and the amp being under the box in front with blue LEDs.

IMAG0055-1.jpg

IMAG0054-1.jpg

This pic doesnt show it at all, it just makes it look like a terrible paintjob, but I got the fronts to have a texture just like the stock plastic.
IMAG0056-1.jpg

Im hoping to get the amp done tonight, if not definitely by tomorrow.

Well, if you're going to Jackson, go grab the damn door! :D

Nope, went to Redford :D

Scored some nice chromes.

Gonna have the revolving centercaps ;) painted white to match I think...

Definitely gonna do the calipers white I think too, or maybe red...but I have nothing else red on the outside...

SO MANY DECISIONS TO MAKE!

IMAG0058-1.jpg

(For anyone who cant tell, ITS UP ON A JACK!) I texted that pic to 6 or 7 of my buddies and 4 of them were saying how awful it looks, and that I need to lower it (Because they couldnt tell it was jacked up)

The rubber is way to damn thin, 3 tires are new, one NEEDS replacing so im on the hunt for an "as-close-to-new-as-i-can-find" used one tomorrow after work. If I can get a good deal, im gonna go a size or 2 thicker and get 4 tires.

The wheels have "Limited" etched in the spokes too, its perfect :D

(For anyone who cant tell, ITS UP ON A JACK!) I texted that pic to 6 or 7 of my buddies and 4 of them were saying how awful it looks, and that I need to lower it (Because they couldnt tell it was jacked up)

The rubber is way to damn thin, 3 tires are new, one NEEDS replacing so im on the hunt for an "as-close-to-new-as-i-can-find" used one tomorrow after work. If I can get a good deal, im gonna go a size or 2 thicker and get 4 tires.

The wheels have "Limited" etched in the spokes too, its perfect :D

Get all new tires at once or risk burning up your t-case.

How do you see out of your drivers side window??? The tint looks way too dark!! ;)

Get all new tires at once or risk burning up your t-case.

Is it that bad? Ie... will your t-case burn up with, say, 3 tires of one brand, and one tire of another brand, all on the same rims, and all tires being the same size? Jw.

The size must be within about 1/4" the same diameter for all tires. AWD requires both ends to be the same diameter. So technically what matters is the comparison of each end, the average diameter of both front tires versus both rear tires.

I suggest a 40 to 45 series tire if it will fit in the wheel well. Try to stay under 31" diameter, stock is 30".

Thanks for the tips guys I knew about the size difference, so I bit the bullet and purchased 4 Goodyear Forteras. They're a lot more sidewall so I gotta trim the lop on the front bumper about 3/4".

IMAG0070.jpg

YOU WERE IN REDFORD YESTERDAY AND DIDNT CALL ME? WHAT THE ACTUAL HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU. YOU KNOW THAT'S MY TOWN.

$50 says I know the guy you bought the rims from.

I'm so mad at you right now... lol.

Back