Best Aftermarket Fog/Driving Lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Best Aftermarket Fog/Driving Lights?

Hey guys, so after searching for a bumper valance swap for my '03 XLS to do OEM style fogs (no success thus far) I have decided to go with aftermarket. I am looking for suggestions on what brand/type is the best. I dont want to go with walmart el cheapos, but dont want to spend a fortune either. I am also considering an HID kit for the fogs once I get them. Ive seen a lot of threads indicating that HID is not the way to go for fogs as they scatter. I have 6k HID lows and 5k HID Hi's and have zero visibility issues in any type of inclement weather. Can anyone weigh in on the best bulb type as well?

PIAA / hella / CATZ make nice fog / driving lights.. as far as the best bulb type, they will come with the right bulb that is best for the housing of the light... like a h1 or h3 are common for fog lights/driving lights... hope this helps!

"Best" is somewhat relative.

What do you want them to do? HID fogs would be fine if you just want them for appearances, or as a supplement to the headlights so they can glare into the eyes of other drivers when you have them on even though there's no fog.

If you're really wanting fogs to be used in inclement weather, you are best off with halogens.

The "best" would be projector style fog lights. I'd also say you are best off with lamps that use an H3 halogen bulb, since that's the most popular, and they are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

Hella makes some decent lights for not a lot of money. Their Micro DE series is pretty good if you want a small projector style housing that puts out a good amount of useable light.

Keep in mind you can also use OEM projector fogs off other vehicles, including the newer Ford SUVs. They might take a bit of adapting, but with the right valance they will look factory.

Back