• Register Today It's free!

Borg Warner 44-05???

Rigger 19

Reaction score
City, State
Cranbrook
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 xl
ive got a bad transfercase and am now phoning around salvage yards trying to find one and have no idea what borg warner 44-05 i have in my 97 explorer xlt 4.0l elctronic shift 4wd.

My vin engine code is X and there are 2 different electric shift transfer cases for that year. how will i know what one to get? ive been searching hoping that the vin number will help me tell what one is in there but all im getting is just the electric shift one and the viscous. any help would be greatly appriciated. would like to get truck running by the time theres to much snow :)

thanks alot for you help and time

Rigger 19

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure what the other one would be... AFAIK there is only one in a 97.

Unfortunately the only one that will replace it and be a direct plug-n-play will be another one from a 97. It will have a rear output shaft speed sensor and a front CV output shaft. A 95-96 will have the speed sensor you need, but a u-joint front output shaft. The 98-01s will have a CV front output, but no rear speed sensor.

Hope that helps!

My 95 is a 4405-CA. This should be for 95-96.

The other that I know of is a 4405-GA. I have this one for a spare out of a 97. The front drive shaft is different, but I have the matching shaft for it.

The front shaft mount and shaft style for the output mount is the only difference that I can see.

i checked all data pro and it had BW4405 GA, but i looked under the 3 other engine types for that year n it was same transfercase digits but on this site http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TransferCases.html

at the bottom under explorer cases it shows 2 electronic shift BW4405 cases for the year 97 n explains the difference.

so is there a way to tell other then takin it out n hoping i can find one soon id rather be driving my truck untill new one comes :)

thanks alot again very much appriciated

Rigger 19

i checked all data pro and it had BW4405 GA, but i looked under the 3 other engine types for that year n it was same transfercase digits but on this site http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/TransferCases.html

at the bottom under explorer cases it shows 2 electronic shift BW4405 cases for the year 97 n explains the difference.

so is there a way to tell other then takin it out n hoping i can find one soon id rather be driving my truck untill new one comes :)

Rigger 19

They only used one transfer case for a 97. Why is the part number so important? You need one from a '97 with the speedo sensor and the front CV cup output shaft. If it has a fixed yoke on the front output it won't work (without the proper front driveshaft), and if it doesn't have the speedo sensor, it won't work.

Lay underneath it and look at the sticker affixed to it, or the tag attached to it, or just order one from a 97 with the rear speed sensor and the CV front output.

Rigger 19

You could always run the VIN # thru the dealership to find out.

There should be an aluminum tag bolted to the case itself with all the info stamped on it. Also some white labels with black lettering on the case with all the info about it. Those are a little hard to see when it is installed, they are on the topside of the case. A mirror and a flashlight should let you see it. I just hope your good at reading backwards..lol.!

Good luck!

Mine were all out in the open and plainly visible. That may have been new for 98.

2293791326_7ce9dcb493.jpg

2293005909_3a829b88cf.jpg

what is exactly wrong with the trans case they are pretty easy to rebuild, and a lot cheaper than a used one that could go out just as easy.

i have a shift rail bore issue, i got a thread saved for a rebuild with pictures but wasnt to sure about a rebuild read some problems if not done correctly but you make a point about the next one having a chance of failing right away, never thought of that :)

you know much about the shift rail bore issue?

Rigger 19

i have a 1997 bw 4405 and i rebuilt it. it had 190,000 miles. The problem with mine was he shifter fork on the shaft broke. the part was $40 from ford. have you torn yours down yet?

no not yet im in a heavy duty mechanics class and can only bring it in to hoist it up on mondays and my teacher found it hard to believe that it was the transfer case so the last couple mondays were doing tests n checking oils in tranny and TC and this monday im taking it down and cracking it open. cant wait its been way to long, ill deffinately take pictures and keep posted on what exactly was wrong.

I finaly was able to open it up and the shaft that the shifter collar was on, its bored out hole was definately egg-shaped. I took some shim stock,wrapped enough around the shaft so that it was a tight fit, JB welded that stock shim into the hole with the shaft in there for pressure. After it cured i did the same to the other side.

Now with that done i was able to put it back together, there was a 1" gap keeping the case from closing shut thought that it wasnt going together because it was to tight, but it was the shifter motor not lining up with "its" shaft so make sure you take the little motor off(it will save you time).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvHraRkRiP0

my youtube video showing the play in each holes

it works awesome now, i just hope the JB holds, didnt want to spend the money on another transfer case housing that everyone talks about using.

Thanks everyone for your help wouldnt be able to do this without you guys. and thanks Glacier991 your rebuild diary with pictures was awesome.

You might take a look at the 4405 Rebuild Diary in the stickies above, and for others considering a rebuild, consider the Omega case fix shown there.

Back