Confused about swap possibility | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confused about swap possibility

Reaction score
City, State
Amsterdam Area, The Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I need to rebuild my 96 4R55E trans. because of a broken intermediate band. Pulling the pan I found 2 strud's and some kind of hinch(? don't know the correct spelling) and a P0756, P0732, P1701 code. But I also need the car to drive to work... So looking around for a T-shop I've come across a guy that has a 1998 explorer with a blown header and is willing to sell me his trans.

Since this is a 5R55E trans can I put it in? I'm buying everything, from where it bolts on the engine to where the rear axle connects to.

I will take old tranny out and put the 5R55E in, reconnect plugs and cables and drive again.

Can it be this simple? please advise...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think its gonna work due to calibration differences between the 2 Transmissions.

what calibration difference do you mean?

I'm also reading that the PCM won't be able to pickup the trans. What if I also swap the PCM of the '98?

The 98 PCM is for a 5 speed and a different engine, yours is a 4 speed all the wiring is different. You have to make it work with your PCM and wiring if that is possible, which I don't know.You could change engine, trans and all wiring, then it should work.

then I might as well buy the whole car... Hahahaha

i know its old but doesnt the 98 have the ohv engine offered as well? couldnt the 98 computer, harness, and 5r55e technically control the motor and transmission?

Back