Cure for rapid flashing turn signals after installing LED light bulbs. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cure for rapid flashing turn signals after installing LED light bulbs.

LED light bulbs have higher resistance than ordinary incandescent light bulbs. This will cause a problem on most vehicles since ordinary thermal flashers, and even most modern electronic flashers are designed to cause the existing turn signal light bulb to flash at a higher rate. Sometimes this is referred to as "hyperblinking". This is intentionally done in order to indicate that the other bulb which is part of a set on one side is burned out. These flashers won't detect the LED bulbs, and will cause the light to always flash at a higher rate. One solution is to use high wattage resistors to shunt (attach in parallel) across the turn signal LED bulbs. This will simulate the existence of an incandescent bulb. The problems with this is set up are the resistors get very hot, and they have to be wired into place. The next solution which makes more sense, and is plug & play is to get a flasher designed specifically for LED bulbs. These relays are not usually available locally, but some online retail stores sell them such as http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/c...=ccccadehieljjddcfkmcgfmdfoldflm.0&oid=136565.
The relay is manufactured by a company called Grote, and the part number for most 3 prong Ford vehicles is 44892. An alternate name is Imperial, and the part number is 80112. This is what it looks like:
w3844892.jpg

The flasher is a little deeper than an ordinary flasher, so you might have to leave the cover of your fuse box off. I installed this in a 2004 Taurus, and had to leave the cover off. These links have flashers with many pin configurations: http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/index.cgi?action=DispPage&Page2Disp=/flashers.htm
http://www.ledlight.com/electronic-led-flasher-ep36.aspx
Here's another link: http://www.v-leds.com/BlinkerWarning-Fix/Electronic-Flashers/5-PIN-ELECTRONIC-LED-p4810389-1-3.html.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very helpful. I am ordering mine today. Thanks!

LED light bulbs have higher resistance than ordinary incandescent light bulbs. This will cause a problem on most vehicles since ordinary thermal flashers, and even most modern electronic flashers are designed to cause the existing turn signal light bulb to flash at a higher rate. Sometimes this is referred to as "hyperblinking". This is intentionally done in order to indicate that the other bulb which is part of a set on one side is burned out. These flashers won't detect the LED bulbs, and will cause the light to always flash at a higher rate. One solution is to use high wattage resistors to shunt (attach in parallel) across the turn signal LED bulbs. This will simulate the existence of an incandescent bulb. The problems with this is set up are the resistors get very hot, and they have to be wired into place. The next solution which makes more sense, and is plug & play is to get a flasher designed specifically for LED bulbs. These relays are not usually available locally, but some online retail stores sell them such as http://www.ryderfleetproducts.com/c...=ccccadehieljjddcfkmcgfmdfoldflm.0&oid=136565.
The relay is manufactured by a company called Grote, and the part number for most 3 prong Ford vehicles is 44892. An alternate name is Imperial, and the part number is 80112. This is what it looks like:
w3844892.jpg

The flasher is a little deeper than an ordinary flasher, so you might have to leave the cover of your fuse box off. I installed this in a 2004 Taurus, and had to leave the cover off.

Awesome post, I actually didn't know about this, I have a 2006 ford explorer and I'm not sure If I need the 2 or 3 prong flasher and where it actually plugs in on my ex...I know the fuse box under the hood but theres like 5 thins in tehre that could be the flasher I don't know which on is right to pull and replace.

Omg thank you thank you thank you for this, I had them in my 92, which use the taillights as the blinkers, and not only did my blinkers not flash (they would just turn on, without flashing, or flashing rapidly) but my RPMs were even higher, it wasnt shifting into last gear.

Mines a 92, and my buddies got a 93 or 94 and I put them in his, and his blinkers work the EXACT same as normal, so idk.

Bu till deff.keep this in mind for my 95, anyone know where the blinker relay is located?

the flasher Clicks when its working(the sound your turn signal is from the relay(flasher)...just follow your ears...i might convert to a led flasher...but ive never had problems with my resisters.

Yup you just need resistors! :)

Not to bring up with an old thread but when I had red l.e.ds for turn signals I kinda liked the rapid flash. I know it usually is used to indicate that you have a blown bulb, but I was wondering does leaving it flash rapidly cause any issues?

-Spyke

Where can I get the resistors? I think that may be a cheaper fix. Also what size do I need. I put a set of leds in my wifes mounty and it is blinking like crazy! I thought they were supposed to have them built in. But guess not. So did I just waste my $$. I don't want to lay down another $20 for a flasher and don't want to leave the fuse cover off. So the resistors may be a fix. i guess they would wire in right at the bulb right. By parr. what do you mean? Been a long time since I done any wiring in my stereo days. I do remember how to wire a set of speakers parr.

STU

Ok I asked this over on the other board but where is the flasher at on a 08 mounty? I hear it but it sounds to be up behind the speedo in the dash area. I cant see it though. So any ideas?

STU

So this will replace the resistors completely correct instead of hard wiring the resistors in this will plug and play, also spyke asked if it is damaging to either the bulbs or the wireing in the turn signals to leave it rapid flashing besides the popos busting your balls

I don't think that fast flashing will do any damage, but why suffer when there is a quick fix for this problem? The LED flasher will solve the problem without splicing resistors into the circuit.

Will the flasher also kill the bulb out displays that my 08 mounty gives with the LEDs in it also?

STU

it should if it is supposively telling the computer that there is a bulb in there, but i also dont have an message board in my truck so i dont know for sure...thanks brooklyn no i agree if theres a quicker fix to the rapid flash other than splicing and finding the right wires then im all for that option...

I would just like to say that I put led bulbs for the rear signals only... and needless to say an issue came up... eventually the clicking from signaling went back to normal speed, come to find out my rear signals no longer work, but the fronts do

I am hoping it is just the flasher because if its not I'm not going to be to happy about it.

Went to 3 places to get the flasher switch, only to end up at Ford finding that the 6-pin (what I had from factory) was the same as the 5-pin... bunch of bs especially with a 115% higher price than the store.

Come to find out nothing was wrong with the lights, some sort of fluke happened (possibly with the multi switch)

Just a quick question... I have an 02 Limited, and I have a 5-prong flasher. What (if anything) would happen if I replace it with a 3-prong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

okay so i bought this where does it go? cause from reading the forums they say its actually a yellow plug under the steering wheel? im confused where this thing goes. 2000 mountaineer

Back