custom audio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gingersauce

Reaction score
City, State
idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
93' exlporer~eddie bauer~
i plan on putting a pretty large audio system in my 93 eddie bauer explorer so i want to upgrade a few of the electrical wires, its called the big three. on other cars you just have to upgrade the wire from the alternator to the battery and the grounds for both the battery and alternator, but i was looking in my hood and saw that the wires lead to a block of some kind and i was curious if i should continue to run the wires through the "block" or if i should just bypass it like on other cars. any help appreciated! :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not familiar what block you are talking about.
Keep in mind that your alternator is only 95 amps. you don't want to approach that limit.
By the way, the best placement for subs is in the very rear. you get the most efficient cabin gain there.
originally I had a truck box with two 10s facing down. the bottom was facing the tailgate, and the top was resting on the wheel wells. It sounded really good.

I'm not familiar what block you are talking about.
Keep in mind that your alternator is only 95 amps. you don't want to approach that limit.
By the way, the best placement for subs is in the very rear. you get the most efficient cabin gain there.
originally I had a truck box with two 10s facing down. the bottom was facing the tailgate, and the top was resting on the wheel wells. It sounded really good.
uhm i dont know how to describe it.. almost all the wires from my battery run to the block then on to other things.. there are two bolts coming out of it and if you touch them together with anything metal like a screwdriver the car will start.. and yeah i plan on the subs being in the back. if it is only 95 amps will i be able to pull enough volts from my battery? i dont really understand how all of that works.. i plan on using at least two amplifiers and both are rated for 14.4 volts.. does that mean i need 28.8 volts to come from my battery? and if i do need that im assuming i would need an aftermarket alternator? sorry about all the questions..

That would be your solenoid... you need that. That is what sends power to your starter when you turn the key...

You really need to do a little more learning about basic electricity. If you are asking questions like the 28 volt one, it shows you need to learn a LOT. Make sure you learn as much as you can before you install your gear so you don't blow something up... gets expensive.

Your battery will give you around 12 volts.. usually a little higher. The amps will handle what your alternator pushes out. Each amp will receive that 12 volts from the battery. They will handle up to 14.4 volts which you can get from an alternator, but usually not that high.

Search for "the big 3" upgrade on here, there are threads about it. There are also a TON of stereo wiring threads that will be a big help. If you want to run a big stereo hard, you are going to need to upgrade the alternator or you may burn it out or hurt your amps.

Keep firing off questions, use the search bar, read, read, read and you should be good to go! :thumbsup:

well i ask that question because in all the other cars ive seen the wire from the positive on the alternator run straight to the positive on the battery but mine runs to the solenoid then to the battery. and the best alternator i can find online is a130 amp alternator. do you think that would be good enough?

this is how you do the big three.

from the battery-

negative to frame
negative to block
positive to alternator

don't take wires and stuff off, just add them :p

I'm using the stock alternator in my truck and its fine, i have 2 capacitors and 3 batteries mind you though :p.

as KP said, search then read and repeat.

if you don't know what your doing you will break your equipment, and can cause a fire.

Back