Diff cover debate - aluminum or steel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diff cover debate - aluminum or steel?

malohnes

Reaction score
City, State
SE Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xl m5 4x4
So,
I'm preparing to regear and add Aussie diffs in both my axles. In looking around for a not too expensive diff cover, I decided I might want to get one that has bearing supports and not finding really good info whether its needed or not. I have a simple G2 aluminum cover now.

Is one really better than the other, with or with out bearing support and aluminum vs steel?

What do you guys use and suggest?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From what I understand, the bearing supports are for extreme situations. Like launching down a 1/4 mile in a high-horsepower Mustang. I don't know that they would help in offroad situations and if they did, are they worth the cost?

I'd also imagine that offroading wouldn't make a lot of heat in the diff, not as much as highway driving or towing at speed would.

Aluminum would wick heat away better but the steel would be stronger and would rather deform than crack if it got hit. That said, you'd have to be going backwards over boulders to worry about that.

I doubt you need the aluminum cover but you already have it so why not run it?

Personally, mine's got the factory fiberglass piece and if it broke, I'd look for a nice, simple & cheap steel one, preferably with a fill hole.

http://solidaxle.com/

Great price, very strong, nodular iron.

Dude, that is a steel!
I paid twice that price for the G2 and It has never fit quite right. It is a nice looking cover and the fit and finish appear to be good, but it leaks ever so slightly. I have retried 2x to seal it up and it still seals. I liked the fact that it wicks heat, was supposed to be sturdy, has extra capacity and has a drain plug.

From what I understand, the bearing supports are for extreme situations. Like launching down a 1/4 mile in a high-horsepower Mustang. I don't know that they would help in offroad situations and if they did, are they worth the cost?

I'd also imagine that offroading wouldn't make a lot of heat in the diff, not as much as highway driving or towing at speed would.

Aluminum would wick heat away better but the steel would be stronger and would rather deform than crack if it got hit. That said, you'd have to be going backwards over boulders to worry about that.

I doubt you need the aluminum cover but you already have it so why not run it?

Personally, mine's got the factory fiberglass piece and if it broke, I'd look for a nice, simple & cheap steel one, preferably with a fill hole.

I get what you say, and mostly agree.

I don't have high HP and I obviously don't drag race. But I do tow occasionally moderately heavy loads and since my truck is also my DD it gets driven to the places I wheel not only to the grocery store.

I was originally going to run the aluminum one I have, but since I'm upgrading and improving the axles, the thought was that there should be some real world improvements with the cover. I found a good deal on a B&M Aluminum cover with bearing cap support and almost bought it. But I decided to shop around some more and then it led me to do some research on the subject. Now I'm not so sure...I found a good deal on a welded steel cover with drain/fill lugs and is super beefy.

Sometimes too many choices can be a bad thing, huh?!

Ford8_8RearDifferential.png

I like the Riddler covers and the recessed bolts. Heavy heavy stuff.

http://www.riddlermfg.com/

They also have a very good cast surface, and just look great when powdercoated

014-1.jpg

RuffStuff has one too:
https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/88DCOV.html

What gear ratio do you have now, and what are you going to? Are you keeping the 31 inch tire size?

I have 3.55 with open right now. Going to 4.56 and long term plans mean staying with 31's to get a balanced truck of engine power, suspension travel/articulation, and overall increased competence for off road driving.

Turdle - WOW, they do look good power coated!

Those Riddler covers look mean. Too bad they don't have a drain hole, but that is also one less thing to leak!

I've also looked at RuffStuff covers too, as they are similar. I got their SOA kit and it was very beefy. The Solidaxle.com cover is the same concept and the price is unbeatable and very compelling.

Rhett - Thanks for the link. I'm not too impressed with G2 and Transdapt isn't very appealing to me.

I'm thinking I'll stick with what I have for now, though I am leaning towards a steel or iron cover for sheer strength and durability. Though I don't think I really "need" it for my driving, it'll be something I might upgrade later.

Whatever diff cover you go with, remember that if it has a higher fill plug, you still only fill it with the capacity listed for the differential. If you fill it to the plug, it will blow the fluid out the seals, or up the breather hose after it warms up. I made that mistake when I did the SAS, and it forced fluid out around the plug welds and around the pressed in axle tubes. Had to pull the cover, seal all the plug welds and around the axle tubes. I use a piece of zip tie as a dip stick to check the level.

Whatever diff cover you go with, remember that if it has a higher fill plug, you still only fill it with the capacity listed for the differential. If you fill it to the plug, it will blow the fluid out the seals, or up the breather hose after it warms up. I made that mistake when I did the SAS, and it forced fluid out around the plug welds and around the pressed in axle tubes. Had to pull the cover, seal all the plug welds and around the axle tubes. I use a piece of zip tie as a dip stick to check the level.

Sadly, I have made that mistake too and I had it leak out the breather tube...strange way to leak! No issues blowing past the seals though..The G2 cover has a much higher fill plug and that caused me to over fill. Luckily the drain plug resolved the issue once I figured it out. Thats the one requirement I feel is a must here...a drain plug makes life mush less messy.

Can you imagine changing engine oil by dropping the pan every time!?

I have the Solid Axle covers on mine (front and back). They fit fine (although the tie rod does hit the front at full lock). They are built like a brick ****house. They are heavy. I've smashed them into rocks (not intentionally) and they are fine.
25ecd686201e8d1f3de7f55184071470.jpg

You have SolidAxle cover on the front? Have a pic?

He has a solid axle up front, same as where I have my Solid cover. I rammed it into a rock making a ten point U-turn on the edge of a cliff where I did not want to back up anymore. I "bumped" it over the rock using the fins of the cover. All it did was scratch the coating on the leading edges.

Also, there is no drain plug on the Dana 44 solid axle to use as a fill limit indicator. You just need to add two quarts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have SolidAxle cover on the front? Have a pic?

Yep. SAS'd.

On a 2nd gen, I don't think I'd mess with any kind of aftermarket cover on the front. I'm not familiar enough with 1st gens to know the difference. It's tucked in there and shouldn't get hit- and you can't see it- and at least in the case of the Solid cover, it's significantly thicker and might not clear.

Back