Do I need to replace a hub and bearings assembly? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Do I need to replace a hub and bearings assembly?

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'17 F-150 FX4
Symptoms:

Last year I replaced my tires and had the front end aligned. The tires have been rotated at 5,000 miles and 10,000 miles, respectively, and do not show signs of cupping or improper wear due to inflation or deflation.

Prior to the front right wheel making noise on a straight path, when I would turn, I could hear what sounded like the right front tire running on rough pavement. That is to say, I could hear more road noise than I was accustomed to hearing. I initially brushed it off as me being paranoid, since most of us familiar with cars pick up on the slightest noises.

Now, at low speeds, it sounds like the front right tire is riding on concrete pavement. The pitch of the sound varies with speed, but it is most easily heard at low speeds (0-45 mph) due to the lack of road noise. This noise seems to come and go away after a while; it most easily is repeated from a cold start and drive.

My front hub assemblies are the same as when I purchased the Trac new. So, they're old: 8 years, 85,000 miles, and a true four seasons. I do off-road the Trac occasionally, so the front has been stressed more than a highway queen.

Thoughts:

Quite simply, I'm leaning towards the hub bearings. I base this on a Subaru whose bearings were shot, which made it sound like the tires were running on the roughest finish concrete highway: loud. Not grinding, but imagine the sound you would hear dragging a couch upside down your vehicle.

They are not separable from the hub, so I will need to replace the entire hub assembly.

I've narrowed my replacement to "National", which Advance sells. I can't beat the cost: $135 less $40 from one of their always fantastic coupons. They carry a 3-year warranty. From what I can tell on Rock Auto, Moog's used to be branded National, so one manufacturers for the other I presume.

(Or, should I just go with Timken?)

Well?

Well? Am I on the right track?

And, should I replace both? I assume I'll need to get the front realigned when I am done.

And moreover, does anyone have an impact gun or massive torque wrench I can borrow? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would replace both at the same time jsut to be on the safe side. I had both of mine completely come apart after 60K miles and tons of mudding, serious offroading. I replaced them with Timkens and I now have over 96K miles with zero issues.

I did mine with regular hand tools, rachet wrenches, box end wrenches, etc.. It's a pretty straight forward and simple repair project.

I'd do them both as well. I'm ordering 2 new ones for mine this week just because the originals have 200k+ on them, and they're louder than they should be.

As for brand, I'd go Timken, but the National hubs are good hubs too, so even I might take advantage and try them once.

I used the Timken brand from Autozone, because they had a year warranty, and I then started replacing them every year since it was free.. But I dont have those issues any longer :D

Hopefully I won't either Chad, crossing my fingers for it to start within the next year and a half, hopefully.

I used Timken and am happy with them. You do not need an alignment after the wheel bearing replacement on the front since the bearing bolts to the spindle.

Thanks for the input guys. The only preliminary check I am going to do is, after checking the hub for movement and noise, to rotate the tires and see if the sound remains. STs are notorious for ruining tires, even when properly aligned and inflated, so I want to be sure.

Realize this thread is older but i feel like i'm needing the same thing now. My Trac has about 126k on it and i just got back from a 3.5k road trip. My tires have about 7000 miles on them and i'm getting loud vibrations coming from the left front. I'm gonna have my tires rotated first but i'm pretty confident that the noise is coming from the bearings.

Back