• Register Today It's free!

Help! My truck won't start.

monares

Reaction score
City, State
renton wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
sport trac 2001
ok so this is whats happening with my truck. i own a Ford Explorer Sport Trac 2001 the transmission went out on me so my Father in law put in a new one. now my truck wont turn on! :'( It will crank and for a second or two it will sound like itS going to turn on but then it keeps cranking! what do i do? my husband said it could be that the alarm got activated. but its a factory alarm... i dont have a remote all i have is the key. everything works. windows radio inside and outside lights...it jus wont turn on. This is the only car i have so its really messing me up... i need help and advice. what can i do. what could it be? PLEASEE HELLLPPPP.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

PATS system, the key is coded to the system, you will need to get it programed, good luck

wait how did the key get unprogrammed? does changing a transmission mess with the ignition? :0 i obviously dont know ANYTHING about trucks. i dont think it would be the key cuz it cranks.... an unprogrammed key wouldnt crank... but it does it just doesnt TURN on. :(... any other advice.?

An "unprogrammed" key will crank the engine , but the fuel pump will not turn on.

Search PATS on the forum for information, as it has already been typed for ya.:D

Check the inertia switch, a bump might have tripped it

where is the inertia switch located? :/

The switch is located by the passenger side kick panel under the dash, it'll look like a red button inside a tube. Sorry I don't have a picture on this site.

Hey there,
As you have been working around the bell housing...it may well be the crank sensor... if you have knocked it slightly it will crank but not fire up... its a long shot but check it out... oh and get a haynes manual if you can they are a life saver ;)
Good Luck

Fastwalker.. I think your closer to the cause than other suggestions.

Back