Help with 94 explorer factory speaker amp?!?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help with 94 explorer factory speaker amp?!?!?!

FordExploder94

Reaction score
City, State
new england
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
hey guys i just received a 94 Ford Explorer 4 door, not sure what size the engine is...its 4x4 and it also has the "premium" sound package or as i would like to call it the "pain in the a$$" sound package. i destroyed the rear passenger panel in the cargo area to reveal the stock amp. There i saw the other end of that Grey wire that is up near the head unit and it is plugged into the amp. I just went out and bought a scosche wiring harness. it came with 2 harnesses and they both have 2 plugs on them. one of the harness fit the long black plug up near the head unit, but the other plug on the harness would not fit anything. the other harness (looks to be all speaker wire colors) does not fit any plugs up near the head unit, BUT IT ALSO WILL NOT FIT THE PLUG NEAR THE AMP... im wondering how i can by pass this pain in the ass amplifier for i am on my last nerve and contemplating smashing my windows in with a hammer:p:

Is there any way to by pass this amp with out running new wires? i want to destroy the truck as little as possible. Is there any way i can get my aftermarket head unit to work with out the need of the amp? please i need help !!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The correct amp bypass harness basically takes the wires going to the amp and connects them to the wires going out of the amp so the signal from the head unit will go to the speakers..

It sounds like the wire-kit you got is the wrong one since it doesn't fit the plugs on both sides of the amp.

edit: btw. you have the 4.0 ohv motor (only engine available in 94)

~Mark

ok well heres another thing, when i first looked at the factory amp, it looks like some one had already put a harness in it (there was also Power,ground,rca,and remote wires for aftermarket amp and subwoofer) so when i first looked at it...nothing was pluged into the factory amp, there was a small plug with all the speaker wire colors and it connected 2 plugs together, is this the bypass you were speaking of? if so how do i spice the speaker wires from my headunit harness to the speaker wires if the bypass harness is all the way in the back???!??!?!

The bypass harness just bypasses the amp..

When you connect your head unit at the front of the vehicle to the factory wires using the correct adapter the signal from the speaker outs on the head unit will go into the wires, to the back of the truck, around the amp using the amp bypass and end up at the speakers.

~Mark

im sorry if i am pissing you off but i am really confused?!?! when i wire my head unit there is going to be a bunch of speaker wires (from the headunit) that arent connected to ANYTHING! and i know i bought the right harness because it said right on it ford explorer 91 and up

np.. it can be confusing at first especially if what your seeing doesn't match what we are explaining...

With the correct adapters, there are spots to connect the speaker outputs from the head unit to the factory wires.. IIRC there are two connectors for the head unit.. One has things like power, ground, switched power etc.. The other connector is for the speaker wires..

I'll see if I can find a pic..

~Mark

Here is the page with a pic of the harnesses I'm talking about..

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120705004/Receiver-Wire-Harness.html?search=harness&tp=2977

h120705004-fp.jpg

~Mark

here is a picture of the factory amp bypass harness that was already installed right next to the factory amp.

pc150001.jpg

Also i have a picture of the speaker harness that came in the kit i bought
pc150002.jpg

(note the whole design of this plug is not ford at least i dont think it is, but its the one that came in the package)

pc150003.jpg

this is the same harness as the last picture, its just the other plug (there are 2 plugs on both harness) once again it does not look like it matches up with ford plugs, it actualy looks like the plug for the 4x4 buttons. I looked on the company website of the harness i bought and the pictures for a 94 ford explorer with premium sound harnesses do not look ANYTHING like the ones i purchased!! check it out

i think i have all the right harnesses accept for that small one... but if i get that small one will i still be able to hook it up even tho the power wires have another plug on it

I can't see the pics right now ('net connect at work is blocking them)..

If the harness you got won't connect to the speaker wire connector in the dash then you will need to wire into it by hand..

This thread should help you do that...
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199152

BTW.. I am assuming you have the factory head unit that had the toggle volume control and not the one with the knob for volume control.

~Mark

well to tell you the truth im not sure, because the factory head unit that i pulled out was from a differnt explorer, and it never worked correctly in my dads car, he didnt know there was a factory amp in it and it was bypassed before when he had the ORIGINAL Radio in it, the sound was very minimal even at full volume, he assumed it was the head unit and replaced it. im pretty sure if i can rember that it was the push volume, not the nob. yes i was going to ask you if there was some way i could just cut that plug off of the big gray wire and hand splice the speaker cables to the aftermarket headunit harness...im gunna go check that thread out now, thanks for all your help~!

EDIT: i tryed to im you using AIM my sn is LMTHESCATMAN

every thing worked great! i hand spliced the wires and its pumpin good, the stock speakers sound really good too!

every thing worked great! i hand spliced the wires and its pumpin good, the stock speakers sound really good too!

Back