I need help specific to 99 explorer Eddie Bauer V6 only headlights not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

I need help specific to 99 explorer Eddie Bauer V6 only headlights not working

99eddiebauerv6

Reaction score
City, State
Rollinsford, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 exp Eddie Bauer v6
Here's the deal. My low beams do not work via the switch on far left of driver side, all other lamps work including fogs. I have replaced the switch months ago and had no issues. However low beams failed to work recently so I removed the panel again exposed the switch I had installed. The four wires to the far side of the terminal were found to be burn up pretty bad. I went ahead and spliced in a new terminal to the switch. Same result, no low beams
-multi switch puts highs on when i manually pull back, when switched to the forward position,. Nothing.
- when this all started to happen I found that I could get the headlights to come on but only by using the "auto lamp" switch which is on the rearview mirror above radio.

So what caused the burned up wires to the switch?
Is the multi switch a possible culprit?
I mean the autolamp switch which I never use shows that the low beams do function. So is there a separate relay to the autolamp vs dash switch?

Also final question is the LOM even on this vehicle? Or was it moved?

IMG_20191129_141451.jpg

IMG_20191129_145327.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The light switches on these fail,(rotary dash switch). and can arc melting wires. Happened on my 98. If you remove the light switch, be very careful. You’ll likely break the mounting tabs off the dash piece.

So the aftermarket rotary was the culprit?
The reason I had to change it originally is because those mounts broke from the inside and it wouldn't stay in place.

I’m not saying it IS the problem, but it certainly could be.

Right. I'm going to check the relay, and also do you know about the LOM is it located somewhere else or completely gone on a 99?

I’m not saying it IS the problem, but it certainly could be.
So I took the switch apart it does seem there was so much plastic melted that the headlight area of the plate has little to no connection. So now I need to remove that switch from the new plug I just installed. It's in there really snug any tips on removing that without snapping the clips. I was going to attempt a padded vise grip and adjustable wrench.

Back