• Register Today It's free!

Illegal upgrades?

oldschool4life

Reaction score
City, State
Nothern Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport
I was watching MTV's True Life "I'm a streetracer" I couldn't believe what I heard.

The cops inspected some guys car and the first thing they pointed out was that his K & N style intake is illegal.

Another subject brought up was that the headlights were not high enough (due to lowering of the suspension.)

Aren't there some foreign cars that are low to the ground when stock?

The words "not stock" came up alot.

Now, isn't a State Police/Highway Patrol Camaro/Mustang not stock?

I don't believe in streetracing; but all that sounds not right.

If everything is so illegal why don't they go after the Performance Shops for selling the stuff? Manufacturers for making it?

That's kinda like busting me for a "joint", but not going after the guy(s) that grow and sell it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats a "joint"?

hahahaha just kidding dude.

If you read the box of 75% of the stuff you buy for your vehicle it says plain as day "FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY"

However many states are stricter then others, in CO they dont seem to really care a whole lot about neons or not DOT approved tail lights, or non covered tires, or any of that junk. At least not until they bust you for soemthing else, then I;m sure the copscan write a ton of tickets to ricers.

Hell my headlights are illegal to use in teh USA, but there isnt a person around who can tell the difference. They are Hella H4 conversion 5x7's for a motorcycle, illegal for on road use in the USA. Had them for about 4 years now.....

yea, saw the show. i agree, some of the stuff they were saying made no sense whatsoever. one of the cars that had the "headlights too low" was MAYBE 2-3" lower than stock. and the intake, as long as its DOT its okay. basically, they were just being jerks, and i think making some stuff up to try and further scare the kids they pulled over. if they want, they can nit-pick just about anything. there still are some crazy laws on the books, and many times an officer will B.S. a whole list of charges to basically scare the person pulled over, even though he/she has no intention of righting a ticket for the B.S.. they do this alot to younger kids.

Yeah last night i went through a sobriety checkpoint and when they had me pull over. the cop wanted me to turn my lights i have on the roof rack on for him. He probably figured he could try and do something or warn me about them or some thing. But i don't know.

Maybe he thoguht you had roof lights packed with cocaine, kinda like when you have to beep your cell phone at airport security so they know it's not a bomb.

Were your roof lights covered? Did he say anyting when youturned them on? Maybe one of his cop buddies had his light rack stolen? Who knows....I am bored......

No they were not covered. He was giving me kinda a hard time until i amde him look like a fool b/c he didn't believe me that they weren't wired in till i made him take a closer look at the light itself. It was quite funny.....Yeah i hear you im really bored myself right now.

You guys are forgetting that these are governmental rules.

Take the word "govnermental" and break it down:

1. Govern = to control the actions and behaviors of citizens.

2. Mental = Need I explain?

Most of the laws passed make no logic at all. I work in public accounting, you should see all the tax laws that don't make logical sense. Or somehow or another the laws are skewed to make more tax revenue for Uncle Sam. It sucks sometimes, but we still live in the best country on Earth.

Brian

Like I saw before, in Colorado, it is illegal to have a lifted truck. No one cares about it though. Who knew?:rolleyes:

All the performance mods on my truck are CARB certified (not that I have the certification numbers handy though). I'm sure my headlights aren't aimed exactly within specs, yada yada. But the only thing outrightly illegal on my truck is that the front license plate is on the roofrack, and not the front of the truck. I've asked cops if they care and they don't, until I get some @sshole with something to prove.

Sorry, but I dont think a cop would ever ask you to pop the hood. in extreme cases MAYBE but that would be a plain joke. I mean if your making a lot of noise he's gonna think its exhaust and he'll be able to tell, but i have never heard of people popping hoods like they do on MTV. I saw that and just totally laughed. But my favorite part was when he said his headlamps were spearmint, instead of blue

What state was the show filmed in? It is quite possible the intake WAS illegal in that state, due to the fact that it wasn't CARB approved (just like the KKM several of the members on this board have). As for the head lights being too low. Again that is a regulation deterimned state to state. As for the sale of "illegal" parts, like 410 mentioned, as long as the manufacturer puts the liability release "For Off-Road Use Only" on the package the product comes in, they have no responsibility for anyone that uses the product "illegaly."

Now, isn't a State Police/Highway Patrol Camaro/Mustang not stock?
Tecinally, yes, they are stock. Considering they are modified by the manufacturer, then sold. It's kind of like a Saleen Mustang or Linginfelter Corvette, they are seriously modified, BUT they are "stock" when they are sold.

Well , an easy solution to the H.L. problem it to just re-aim them. It's cake. ( some of you folk with lifted truck already know that )
I know California is a lot more strict on emissions and stuff.
But any way , marketing in America , ya gotta love it don't ya?

Quote - It is quite possible the intake WAS illegal in that state, due to the fact that it wasn't CARB approved
------------------------------------------------------------------------

K & N Filters and Intake Kits are street/emissions legal in all 50 states (as per K & N's website.)

K & N is based in California, the emissions capital of the U.S.

I also saw this..

its very possible that the filter was indeed not carb certified.. but COME ON!! ITS AN AIR FILTER! what could it possbilly do? allow air into the engine??? how is that going to pollute more? Besides, even if you were careful about that, no one would keep th ecarb sticker or cert. or whatever you need for that in their car. because ITS A FILTER!

btw I measured myh healdights.. something like 31" off the ground hehe, my fogs are like 16

I found what the cop said was insulting. he basically made comments like "there are no regulations on how a car could be lowered" and essentially went on to say that anyone who lowers their car themselves do not know what they're doing.... well I've taken my C10 from running down to a frame.. have been through 2 parts truck.. and can probablly break one down in about a day or 2 on my own. less if I have a torch ;)

The govt in california is too liberal, too controlling and a prime example of what is wrong in the country today.. big govt=bad news.. the govt should stop assuming that the entire population is retarted and put alittle faith in the people to do their own mods.

if we do have a greenhouse problem.. its not air filters w/o "stickers" and lowered suspension thats causing it.. the govt jhust needs to sit on its thumbs and leave the citizens alone.

ALSO.. the cops like "no we dont have anything better to do" really? so what about all the kidnappings that happen every day, or the muders thefts, terrorism, and general badness.. if the speedlimit was 55 yesterday.. and its 45 today.. 55 is not unsafe today...

not to say that I agree with street racing.. its unsafe and gerally stupid.. no judges.. no torphies.. waste of time.

Nothing personal, but quit bashing the Police for doing their job! I hate it when people that have nothing better to do than say "cops are all bad" or "they have nothing better to do than pick on me." It's their job to do what they do. Just like it is my job to tell someone they f...ed up their car because they don't have a brain. True, some cops are worse than others, just like some ______ (insert profession here) are worse than others. Were all human and we are all different. Instead of going around saying bad things about cops, why not clean up your own act and not give the Police a reason to pull you over "and do their job."

Also, DarkFox1, you mentioned "the govt should stop assuming that the entire population is retarted and put alittle faith in the people to do their own mods."

I hate to say it, but over 90% of the population IS retarted when it comes to vehicles and how they opperate. There is no law anywhere that says any modifications to a vehicle can not be performed in your driveway by the untrained. The problem lies with the people that attempt to modify their vehicles with no regard to saftey (ie..not knowing that you need special tools, not knowing how critical the part is to proper vehicle operation, etc...)

Sorry this was so long. I'll step off my soap box now, but PLEASE take what I said and think about what you are saying.

Busting the average punk kid with a rice burner should not be at the top of any law enforcement list.

Street racing can be controlled (without taking everybody's car). The kid on the show said he would stop if there was a better alternative (like a race strip.)

Build it, and they will come...

Regulate it and ensure that everything is safe.

And if people still do it illegally, then by all means do what they got to do.

Who should build such a legal strip? Should taxpayers pay for a track just so the kids can have some fun on Friday nights? Should the taxpayers pay for the personel to help regulate the track? Who would insure such a place? Accidents are bound to happen. Those kids couldn't make it onto a regulated strip because of the safety mods that would, and should, be required. I didn't see any of those cars on that show with a roll cage. I didn't see any helmets. I doubt there were any fire extiquishers in any of those cars. Odds are, there was a drag strip within 100 miles of where those kids were. Like one of the kids said, "I don't want to plan to go racing, I just wanna go do it".

It isn't a matter of not having tracks to go to, it is a matter of not wanting to spend the time and money to do it legally and safely.

Now, don't get me wrong, I enjoy driving fast when the time is appropriate. My suggestion would be to get away from the populous areas. Get out in the country. Do some research, find a basically deserted straight road.

Just a couple of pennies,

Robb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

aint no such thing as a desserted country road here.. theres usually 1 guy on that road in an old truck doing 70.. and you dont want to get in his way cos he pronbablly doesn't have brakes.. I'n not stereotyping... I'm jst sayin.

btw, just because a cop gives me a hard time about sometrhing automatically means its all my fault? so you think that cops can do no wrong? I agree, everyone is human, but.. cops dont need to be messing around with some kid and giving him a hard time because of his air filter and his suspension, they also dont need to harass people for 5mph over the limit, or for stupid things like a rolling stop. many people are retarted, but even the stupid ones have enough common sense to LOOK before they pull out.

just cos a cop is doing his job, doesn't mean hes doing it right, and just because he pulls you over, doesn't mean hes really doing his job properly..

I'm not here to bash cops.. cops are some of the hardest working most underpaid individuals you can find. They bust their butt and risk their lives daily to keep people safe. BUT, that doesn't mean that they are exempt of harassing the hell out of people for any other reason except that they have biases. I mean honestly, there are some cops out there I'm sure that dont like import cars and will go out of their way to pull one over for any reason.. you're right they're human.. just like me. .and sometimes I do things because I dont like something..

do you get what I'm sayin? just because you're being harassed by someone, doesn't mean you're doing something "wrong"

but I'm not going to get into anymore of an argument on this lol, we have too many cops vs cop haters forums.. and I'm not a cop hater, I just have the perspective as before mentioned.

Back