Blue LED Gournd effect lighting illegal? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Blue LED Gournd effect lighting illegal?

I installed BLUE LED Gound effect lighting on my 98 XLT explorer and it looked awesome....I jumped on the road and did not get 2 miles and was pulled over by the local police (I live in IL) and said it was illegal to have on except when parked....says causes to much distraction (Yeah like billboards with scantly clad women don't) and that the State Police in IL will actually issue tickets....anyone else have this problem?

In most states, red, blue, and green colors are illegal on anything but an emergency vehicle. In other states EVERY color is illegal. Some cops are more strict about this than others. It all depends on the area you live in.

It is illegal to run ANY underbody, flashing or non stock light while the vehicle is in motion in all of the 50 states. The enforcement of the laws varry between states, counties, cities and towns, but it is illegal.

I know in SC you can have them but can't be blue or red and can't flash (asked a state cop). I also think NC is the same way

Back