Illegal upgrades? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Illegal upgrades?

Quote - Should taxpayers pay for a track just so the kids can have some fun on Friday nights?
------------------------------------------------------------------------

The money could be raised easily. You don't need a full blown NHRA setup. All you need is some land, asphault, barriers, and some fencing. Add one little building at the most.

Besides, if some of these small communities can build a an outside skatepark, why not build a strip?

Quote - Should the taxpayers pay for the personel to help regulate the track?

People will donate their time; hell, make the cops do it! Because, why drive all over the place looking for streetracers, when they are all right there? At the most. hire some old retired man to maintain the place;or make some prisoners cut the grass/sweep the track.

Quote - Who would insure such a place?

Have the kids sign a paper/form.

Quote - The problem lies with the people that attempt to modify their vehicles with no regard to saftey (ie..not knowing that you need special tools, not knowing how critical the part is to proper vehicle operation, etc...)

People must really be stupid if they screw up a "bolt on" or "remove and replace" item ( like the intake). Almost all that stuff (for ricers) is built like that; isn't it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by oldschool4life
Quote - Who would insure such a place?

Have the kids sign a paper/form.

And you think that will relieve the owner of the facility of any liability?

Quote - its very possible that the filter was indeed not carb certified.. but COME ON!! ITS AN AIR FILTER! what could it possbilly do? allow air into the engine???

On a lighter note...

Close you eyes and imagine George Carlin saying that at his next comedy concert!

The punchline would have something to do with the exhaust coming out of his butt!!!

Originally posted by espnfreak
Sorry, but I dont think a cop would ever ask you to pop the hood. in extreme cases MAYBE but that would be a plain joke. I mean if your making a lot of noise he's gonna think its exhaust and he'll be able to tell, but i have never heard of people popping hoods like they do on MTV.

For future reference: If a cop ever asks you to pop your hood, you've got the 5th amendment on your side. He's not allowed to search your vehicle without a warrant

Originally posted by diablo5969
For future reference: If a cop ever asks you to pop your hood, you've got the 5th amendment on your side. He's not allowed to search your vehicle without a warrant

Unless, he finds something wrong, such as a safety violation, and believe me, they can find something wrong.

But if he can't open the hood, he won't find anything wrong.

Originally posted by diablo5969
But if he can't open the hood, he won't find anything wrong.

Trust me, he can find something wrong; a light, a horn, something ( if he really wants to ).

Oh, well yeah. But just because a brake light out doesn't give him the right to search the vehicle.

Originally posted by aldive

Unless, he finds something wrong, such as a safety violation, and believe me, they can find something wrong.

............or they just caught you street racing.

Robb

A cop can search anything in your car that is in arms reach of the driver. This includes under seats, console, dash, etc without a warrant or your consent. They must have probable cause, but they don't have to have a warrant or your consent to do so. And basically anything is probable cause. Then, if they feel that the rest of the car needs to be searched then he or she must ask you if they can search your car, and you should probably just tell them yes, because they can get a warrant very quickly. The second search is the trunk, undercarriage, wheel-wells, engine compartment, the whole rest of the car.

Just remember, a can of soda, cup of juice, soft drink ANY OPEN DRINK in the car is considered probable cause. Or at least it is in Texas..people will do anything to sneek a little drink in the car for the ride home.

,,, and mouthing off to the officer is not gonna help your cause.

Old School, Have you checked out the price on paving a 1/2 mile two laned asphualt track? I'm sure everyone on this board would love paying for it through taxes.

Quote - Have you checked out the price on paving a 1/2 mile two laned asphualt track? I'm sure everyone on this board would love paying for it through taxes.

I'm sure the cost of a track is far less then repeated cost of damages and loss of life.

The government already abuses our tax money; so what's one more project?

I don't think they can search your vehicle because of a safety violation. Also there is a "drag strip" around here with no insurance. They stamp "Enter at your own risk, NO INSURANCE" right on your hand so they can take a picture of it before they haul of your carcass. I call this place a "drag strip" because it is flat straight, at on point was made of asphalt, and still has one time light. Hehe you can race anything their for 2 bucks a run. Anything. Minibike, sleds, once a guy drove a company dump truck through the 1/4. Don't remember the time. Crazy burnouts tho :eek:

ok, get ready, here's my $0.02...:D i am currently tied to both sides. i have friends that street race, i have a best friend that is a state trooper (who is an x-street racer). a local track really does cut down on alot of the streetracing. by local, i mean around town/area, and not 100 miles away. the closest track to our town is just outside of Shreveport, about 65 miles away. most of the local street racers go there, but it really is d@mn inconvienient. we are lucky (i mean they) as there is a 5 mile long stretch of highway around here that dead ends with one farmhouse at the end. when the group gos street racing, they always go there. if there was ever an accident, they only kill themselves and not pedestrians. no, i dont think taxpayers should pay for ANYTHING to do with a track. but, most tracks make big $$$. its not like the town would have to build a track, pay to keep it in operation. the $$$ made off of cars running and spectators would be quite more than operating costs.

amen.. if we had a track, I'd go to it (nearest one is 300 miles away.. atlanta dragway, probablly couldn't run there anyway, too big time for small losers like me) I would take weird stuff.. like my belair, our incomplete chevelle.. maybe even the dump truck or the town car.. to see what they do.. just out of curiosity.. and I would probablly spectate DOMESTIC races.. the 1st time ricers started showing up I'd probablly leave complaining loudly so that they could hear me.

but i agree with james on this one, I know I for one would pay money to run and to spectate, and I'm sure they could raise enough money. with as many people we have here to keep a good sized track in business.

I mean every sonic drivein here.. its the same every weekend friday: offroaders, street trucks, show trucks saturday: ricers, beefy domestics sunday: vintage autos, general showoffs, resto projects

theres like 3 sonics here and they are all full every weekend with these vehicles.. theres definatley an interest in autos and auto racing here in augusta.

we used to have a track too.. the augusta dragway.. my dad has tales about it.. but other than that tales are all we have left. The old people that were stupid enough to buy a house next to A DRAG STRIP got mad and complained to the govt that it was too loud, and the govt made them shut it down....

stupid people.. if you dont like something.. the last thing you should do is buy land next door.

Originally posted by DarkFox1
amen.. if we had a track, I'd go to it (nearest one is 300 miles away.. atlanta dragway, probablly couldn't run there anyway, too big time for small losers like me) I would take weird stuff.. like my belair, our incomplete chevelle.. maybe even the dump truck or the town car..

This track is not 300 miles from Augusta....http://www.atlantadragway.com/

300 round trip.. you gotta get back once you get there.. its realistically about 150.. we go there every year for the super chevy show, nothin like an old vintage car show

Originally posted by DarkFox1
300 round trip.. you gotta get back once you get there.. its realistically about 150.. we go there every year for the super chevy show, nothin like an old vintage car show

Here is a listing of drag strips in Ga....http://georgiadragracing.com/

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you notice they're all in or around atlanta.. except savannah.. which is also about 100+ miles away..

my city is way too large to NOT have a dragstrip

thanks for the link btw

Back