Is our Explorer still safe to drive? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is our Explorer still safe to drive?

Brandon1991

Reaction score
City, State
Altadena, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Platinum
Hello Explorer Forum. Me and my fiancé just moved from Florida to California this past week and during our drive cross country the rear CV axle snapped. The only dealership out in that part of the country couldn’t see us for 2 weeks so we ended up taking our Explorer to a local mechanic. Somehow the fluid cap for the rear differential went missing and we ended up driving 1500 miles with no fluid which ruined the parts and we ended up needing to have the rear differential completely replaced. Since waiting 2 weeks was not an option we had the repair shop completely disengage the rear differential and the components completely removed for safety so we could make it to California and take it to a dealership when we arrived. Now we’ve taken it to several dealerships here and non will honor our power train warranty since the vehicle has been tampered with by a non-ford mechanic and the repairs are much too costly. My question is can our Explorer be safely driven as a front wheel drive vehicle with the rear differential disengaged for long term? Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, this is a first on here. Not sure anyone can answer that definitively. Being awd, not sure how the computers/systems/sensors will work with it not being able to control the rear. Then again, you did make your way to Cali successfully.

I'd say grab a rear diff from a junkyard and throw it in. Make sure whoever puts it in puts it together right and cleans up the mess left behind. Then future repairs should go to dealer if you want to be covered under ESP. If the water pump goes out it shouldn't matter who monkey dicked the rear axle.

I'd say grab a rear diff from a junkyard and throw it in. Make sure whoever puts it in puts it together right and cleans up the mess left behind. Then future repairs should go to dealer if you want to be covered under ESP. If the water pump goes out it shouldn't matter who monkey dicked the rear axle.
could the damage done to the rear diff mess with the water pump?

Back