Is this vibration normal? | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2016 Platinum has occasionally exhibited what I'd call a "fluttering" sound -- perhaps best described as a low-frequency resonance -- from the front area of the vehicle. I've noticed this happens while the engine is approaching operating temperature, and I'm accelerating to merge into 65-70 mph traffic. After a minute or two, the "fluttering" (vibration) goes away.

My guess is this has something to do with the active grill shutters that close at highway speed to reduce drag. Perhaps there's some point that airflow through the shutters, when positioned between opened and closed, causes something in the front-end area to oscillate?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2016 Platinum has occasionally exhibited what I'd call a "fluttering" sound -- perhaps best described as a low-frequency resonance -- from the front area of the vehicle. I've noticed this happens while the engine is approaching operating temperature, and I'm accelerating to merge into 65-70 mph traffic. After a minute or two, the "fluttering" (vibration) goes away.

My guess is this has something to do with the active grill shutters that close at highway speed to reduce drag. Perhaps there's some point that airflow through the shutters, when positioned between opened and closed, causes something in the front-end area to oscillate?
I guess that now with the active shutters we can possibly expect a new series of issues not encountered before. :)

Peter

Unless the Platinum uses other means to get sufficent airflow to the intercoolers, there's no active shutters with the 3.5L EB engines.
I know with 100% certaninty that my Sport does not have active grill shutters.

Unless the Platinum uses other means to get sufficent airflow to the intercoolers, there's no active shutters with the 3.5L EB engines.
I know with 100% certaninty that my Sport does not have active grill shutters.

You are correct, 613GT500. I looked at ETIS and carefully reviewed the Minor Features list for my 2016 Platinum and it says, "Less Active Grilleshutter." That confirms your observation that 3.5-liter EcoBoost Explorers do not have active grille shutters. My theory about the cause of the flutter/vibration/resonance is wrong. Back to the drawing board ...

You are correct, 613GT500. I looked at ETIS and carefully reviewed the Minor Features list for my 2016 Platinum and it says, "Less Active Grilleshutter." That confirms your observation that 3.5-liter EcoBoost Explorers do not have active grille shutters. My theory about the cause of the flutter/vibration/resonance is wrong. Back to the drawing board ...

Thanks for confirming also.
Even Ford salesperson mentions the active shutters being on all 2016 EX models.

Any update?

Any update to what is causing the vibration? I'm experiencing the same thing.

Thanks!

Do you think my problem is related:

When driving it and speeds above 35mph all the way to about 70mph there is a low frequency humming and a small vibration I can feel through the steering wheel and pedals. The frequency (sound) goes up and down in the very low frequency levels (sorry I'm an engineer and it's the only way I know how to explain it and not going up or down with speed just the noise itself, the noise is constant at any speed in which it occurs). We took it to the dealer a week ago and they said that is the way Fords with a PTU operate. It just doesn't seem right to me. I've combed the internet for this but haven't really found anything on it yet. If this is common I'd suspect everyone would feel this. Please let me know if you do and if this is indeed normal. We are taking it in this Wednesday for the Cowl rattle issue and want to be armed with some information on this issue as well. I'm going to insist we take a test drive of any used 2015 they have on the lot to see if it does it and if they don't have a 2015 then a 2016 should do. The carfax (we bought used with warranty) did say there was a PTU oil leak at one time that was fixed. Could out PTU be going south?

My 2016 XLT has a vibration. It is the Hankook tires that it came with. When we test drove it is felt it. Asked it to go thru the shop prior to delivery. It did and tech said it was flat spots on tires. Drive it and it will go away. I know better being a technician myself. My shop that I work at has a road force balancer. The tires have excessive road force and the source of my vibration. Oh and I have the 20" wheels. Heading back to the dealer Monday. You can balance tiresheet all day long and balance them but if they aren't indexed to the wheel so the high or low spot of the tire matches the high low of the wheel, you'll have a vibration. Hope that makes sense!

My 2016 XLT has a vibration. It is the Hankook tires that it came with. When we test drove it is felt it. Asked it to go thru the shop prior to delivery. It did and tech said it was flat spots on tires. Drive it and it will go away. I know better being a technician myself. My shop that I work at has a road force balancer. The tires have excessive road force and the source of my vibration. Oh and I have the 20" wheels. Heading back to the dealer Monday. You can balance tiresheet all day long and balance them but if they aren't indexed to the wheel so the high or low spot of the tire matches the high low of the wheel, you'll have a vibration. Hope that makes sense!
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The 20" tires are prone to flat spotting but that condition should clear up in a mile or two of driving. I've encountered it several times. If the vibration persists then it isn't flat spotting that is the issue.

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The 20" tires are prone to flat spotting but that condition should clear up in a mile or two of driving. I've encountered it several times. If the vibration persists then it isn't flat spotting that is the issue.

Peter
Yeah 4600 miles later it's still present and if I jump onto highway it vibrates until the tires warm up. Then it's somewhat gone.

My '11 LTD AWD has had a vibration since day one. If I had it to do all over again, I would get rid of the car ASAP. I'm already a couple of thousand into suspension repairs, on my dime, and the problem is still present. Worse, I can feel other things loosening up in the front end as well. Think of it like breaking a piece of wire: you can't break it in one or two bends, but back-and-forth long enough it will break. The vibration is doing the same thing to bushings, bearings, etc. The little bit of play you feel now will gradually ruin countless other parts. The wear likely won't be obvious until you are out of warranty.

My 16 Sport has no vibrations what so ever. Gears shift perfectly no matter what speed i am going, no issues on a mechanical side. The only problem is that the whistle noise that the turbos produce is not loud enough for me. It almost seems like it is a luxury truck.

Just a couple new ideas to throw out there. My wife's CRV exhibited similar characteristics. There was a tire rotational squeal that started at 20km and sped up until about 80km and then went away. It turned out to be one of the brake calipers seizing, but we suspected it could have been another issue, such as bearings in one of the wheels. Nobody has mentioned bearings yet, so might be worth a look? The specific caliper issue did not cause steering vibration, just a loud annoying chirping sound. I would suspect all it takes is for something to not be put together just right.

If it happens in neutral, then I would be definitely taking a look at the brakes/calipers/bearings. Maybe something simple is misaligned, or missing bolt, etc.

Also, by chance do you happen to have aftermarket wheels on your car?

My 16 Sport has no vibrations what so ever. Gears shift perfectly no matter what speed i am going, no issues on a mechanical side. The only problem is that the whistle noise that the turbos produce is not loud enough for me. It almost seems like it is a luxury truck.
I feel you, I have the same first world problems as you :)

I feel you, I have the same first world problems as you :)

Remove the platic engine cover and you should be able to hear those snails spool.
Also, have you guys thought about moding your stock blow-off valves to vent to atmosphere?

Back on subject, as I've been on the hunt for winter tires, I saw a video where they were doing TPMS programming after switching out wheels on a Mustang. And there are clips with recessed divot in stock wheels, and when switching to a different set of wheels, you need to remove the clips or else you risk getting vibration. That's why I mentioned if you had stock wheels on or not.

Go to 39 seconds.

Might be worth a look.

Hello all,

OK this may sound stupid at first but doesn't cost a dime to test. It could be air leaking into the compartment near the door, the doors could be misaligned, or/ and the seals could be misaligned.

Make sure your windows are completely closed.
Then.
Open and close all the doors a little harder than usual.
then
stand on the driver side and see if the doors are aligned properly and if any of the seals look misaligned.
then
repeat the last step from the passenger side.
then
Drive and see if the vibration is still present.

If it works, great. If this does not work, call me stupid and move on to another suggestion.

But good luck either way.

I was wondering if you have any updates to resolving your issue with the vibrations and harmonic sound? I just bough a 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum and I am having the same issues. The harmonic sound begins a 40mph and then the vibration in the steering wheel begins at 65mph. Both are horrible! I drive this vehicle for my work car and when I took it from Austin to San Antonio in one day the vibration was so bad that my hands and wrists were literally in pain by the time I got home. My toddler has even commented that her ears are hurting when we are in the car. I have now had the car into the dealership 2 times and complained about it both times. At first they thought it was because the dash had a bad clip and was touching the window but that only solved the squeaking sound that we were hearing. They also tried to tell me that the harmonic sound was "normal" because this was such a large car with a large cabin and that the metal in the car was flexing. I have had countless SUVs and NONE of them did this and some were larger than the Explorer. I have also rented many Explorers and none of them had this issue. At this point I don't even want to drive the car. I would appreciate any help or input before I take my car back in on Monday for the 3rd time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some ideas have been posted recently. Have you looked into any of those? Reminds me of an ancient time when I had a 1981 Honda Civic, and after replacing a tire, the shop didn't properly torque the wheels, and I experienced extreme vibration, which I couldn't deal with until I completed my road trip. The wheel nearly fell off.. but it seemed easy to fix at the time. So check the lug clips from post 50? Something like that could be a simple misalignment of one of the wheels, or something could be warped too. Maybe try to post some video of the problem?

Back