Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Looking to Upgrade a 4th Gen Head Unit

Discussion in 'Explorer Audio & Navigation' started by BootyDo, February 16, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. BootyDo

BootyDo Active Member

City, State:
    Baltimore, MD
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2006 Limited V8
    Hi All,

I've searched the forums a bit here for "Android" and surprised there aren't that many threads about a cheap Android swap. So figure I'll ask as the models available are growing each day.

First, regardless of Head Unit, what size is the 4th Generation? I'm using Crutchfield as a guide and selecting some of the DVD and Navigation units, they're still including a mounting for Double DIN. Is our HU an odd size? Just looking to keep flush and I know I've seen mainstream HU on the forums with an almost factory fit.

Secondly, if looking to keep steering wheel controls, (and factory sub?), is this my only option:
    PAC RP4-FD11 Wiring Interface

Finally, onto the actual Head Units themselves, I was looking at a cheap Android mostly for the ability to run Torque and use Waze. My original HU has navigation. If I swapped, does all that stuff just link to the phone via bluetooth, (depending on the HU I suppose), or is there a way navigation can still be retained if I didn't carry my phone with me?

Sorry if this is so scattered. But any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Scorpion8

Scorpion8 Active Member

City, State:
    SouthEast Alaska
    2006 Explorer XLT
    It's a double-DIN sized unit. I replaced mine with a single-DIN and the small cubby storage shelf underneath since I don't need navigation or video or touch screen. Get the latest unit you can, some of them may have Bluetooth implementations that are 2 years old and although it says your phone may work with it, if it's a newer phone it may be wonky. Make sure it is updateable.

4. Campnham

Campnham New Member

City, State:
    Somewhere south of disorder.
    2008 Eddie Bauer V8 4x4
    Booty do.
    Did you ever purchase one? I'm looking at changing out my head unit also. i have the same questions on navigation without the phone.