• Register Today It's free!

Modifying my Explorer... Slightly

cole50468

Reaction score
City, State
Rockford, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 2 dr. Sport 4x4
I want to do a few mods on my 96 explorer and im wondering how hard and expensive it would be to; replace the shackles, add a puck to each coil spring, get great shocks, and add leafs in the leaf springs. Also info on how would be great too. Thanks for the help:)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Prolly in the range of $200.-$500. for all, depends on if you go with used, new (decent quality), and new (best quality, most likely most expencive).

Wow! Thats actually not as expensive as i thought. Have you done any of these on your explorer?

There was no Sport Track in 96, it was introduced for the MY 2001
Also you don't have coils, do a search on lifting to get ideas on what to do and how to do it :)

Yes i figured that out today but thanks anyway!:) its a sport with control trac 4wd. My bad. And i do have coils. I have looked. Gonna replace shackles this weekend

I moved your thread to a more appropriate forum.
You do not have coils, you have a front torsion bar suspension.
I also would not use hockey pucks, as they will deteriorate after a while and your truck body will be moving around. Use a body lift kit from a pre-95 Explorer.
That's what I used for my truck. hope this helps.

I really hope his truck was modded by the previous owner and he really does have coils and posts a pic. Hahaha

Ok. Honestly i have no fricken clue. I just know it is independant in the front and i have springs in it. THATS ALL I KNOW!!!

You should have torsion bars in the front and leaf springs in the rear unless your Ex was heavily modded by a previous owner to add coils. No Explorer has coils from the factory.

Okay. So how do i use those to lift it?

Turn the torsion bar adjuster bolts to increase the tension on the bars and thus lifting the fornt end. It's commonly known as the "torsion twist". You can get 2 inches this way.

For the rear, you just add Warrior shackles on the end of the leaf springs. That should give you 2'' in the rear. You can also do an add-a-leaf.

To combo of these 2 things (torsion twist and shackles) will give you a 2'' suspension lift, both front and rear. Then you can tack on a body lift.

How do you twist them exactly? Im gonna be doin this this upcoming week so i want to be prepared

Ok. Will do. Thanks alot man

No problem. Shoot me a PM if you need any additional help.

Back