My 2000 Limited Build | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My 2000 Limited Build

I used to own a 1996 OHV 4.0 Explorer, that was unfortunately taken from me due to unaffordable insurance after an accident that I was wrongly blamed for. Many years later, I decided I wanted to buy another Explorer, as I always had plans for my original one, but it was taken from me too soon.

In 2010, I found the perfect project Explorer, after several weeks of searching Autotrader and Kijiji (it's like Canadian Craigslist). The truck was located in Montreal, Quebec, and I went to pick it up over the weekend of my 27th birthday. I got it for $7000 cash, with only 77,500 original KMs on the odometer. It was black, which I wanted, Limited, which I wanted, 4x4, which I wanted, and had the 4.0 SOHC V6 engine. I was looking for the V8, bust most of them in Limited trim were available only in AWD. I figured that since this truck hit on every other point, especially the low mileage and color, I bought it after a quick test drive to confirm everything was working well. This is a picture taken once I got it home from the trip.

ExplorerLTD.jpg

I always told myself when I did take on this project truck, I would postpone any appearance mods until later in the build. My reasoning for this was twofold; first I kind of liked the idea of a sleeper that looked like an old school SUV, and second, I wanted to avoid the all-too-common "all show and no go" modified vehicle stigma. For these reasons my first mods to the truck were a K&N after market intake system coupled to a 75mm MAF sensor, and a Cortex Tuner from Superchips. I swapped out the oiled K&N filter with the dry media replacement filter from Amsoil, to prevent gumming up the MAF sensor with oil residue. I also installed a YellowTop battery from Optima. The only thing I had done appearance wise when I got it was to remove the gold pin stripes and give it a good wax and polish.

5 Intake MAF.jpg

I remember how much it felt like a different truck after these few mods. The difference in throttle response, acceleration, and overall power was pleasing, and my low-mileage truck took quite favorably to the modifications. Knowing I'd be producing more power than stock, I had also flushed all the fluids and replaced them with premium brands; Amsoil 5w30 for the motor with a premium filter, royal purple severe gear in both axles, and synthetic tranny and transfer case fluids as well.

Now I was hooked on power adding bolt-on parts. With a cross-country move from my home province of New Brunswick to Alberta for work, I installed the Gibson cat-back exhaust system before the 5000km cross country road trip, hoping the initial expense would be offset by increased efficiency of the engine. Since I had also now added some performance to the truck, I also ordered a set of smoked black chrome taillights from eBay to enhance the look a little.

22 3rd Brake.jpg

After having lived in Alberta for a little while, and with my new job allowing access to a shop with a lift and endless amounts of tools for my borrowing pleasure, I installed an upper and lower billet grille to enhance the front end appearance. To those performing this mod, the lower grille was a total PITA to install. Be forewarned.

1 Grille.jpg

2 Lower Grille.jpg

3 Lower Grille.jpg

@CDW6212R Typically a sealed box will give much better sound quality than a ported box. (Ported boxes are louder, at the expense of only effectively producing one frequency). Randomly porting a box (not figuring out the port ID and length) is a gamble as you have no idea what frequency it will be tuned to.

@CDW6212R Typically a sealed box will give much better sound quality than a ported box. (Ported boxes are louder, at the expense of only effectively producing one frequency). Randomly porting a box (not figuring out the port ID and length) is a gamble as you have no idea what frequency it will be tuned to.

Thanks, I have read of that before, but figured I'd install what I have and see how it does. Hearing about how others make improvements helps, even with ideas.

Yeah, ideas never hurt. If you do decide to port there are some free calculators to get you in the ballpark.

It is with great sadness that I have come to the end of the road with this truck, as I have sold it as of July 31, 2019, after just slightly more than 9 years of ownership. I will be starting a new thread in the near future for my new truck, a 2008 Explorer Limited 4x4 4.6L. This 2000 has been the best vehicle I've ever owned, was not without it's minor issues along the way, but all told had been an extremely reliable and enjoyable vehicle to own. Thanks again to all of you for your help over the years, and inspiration in helping me determine what kinds of upgrades and modifications to pursue. This forum has always been a wealth of experiential knowledge and advice, and I look forward to starting the new project!

-Greg

Back