Never have to change the transmission oil? Fact or fiction??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Never have to change the transmission oil? Fact or fiction???

Ford Explorer9

Reaction score
I called a few places and talked to a few people about getting my truck worked on and some people said that you don't have to change the transmission fluid on the 2006 Ford Explorer XLT 4.6l V8. I guess it's a closed system so there is no contamination or something? Is this true? Sounds to good to be true lol.

Also I found that these spark plugs cost a bit to change on the 3 valves :eek:

Anyways, the truck has 78,000 miles and no service records, anything else I should do to make sure I have no problems in the future?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dealer says the trans fluid needs changed at 150K. It is a closed system, you might notice that there is no dipstick normal for the tranny. There is a little tiny dipstick on the right side of the transmission housing right above the pan though if you want to check it there. I know that because i just dropped my tranny to change the torque converter. You can drop the pan and change it if you want but the fluid is expensive. Make sure that you use Mercon SP fluid if you do. Not Mercon 5, it will not work. The back of the fluid bottle will tell you if it is acceptable for Mercon SP. I got mine from NAPA. It was a BG product that says on the back that it works for Mercon SP.

The spark plugs are pricy and if you plan on changing them yourself, be careful, they break very easily and get stuck in the head. you can google all the horror stories about them. There is a recent thread on this site about a 1 piece spark plug that has come out for them. i recommend those because they are much better than the two piece that break in the head.

I did not know about them when i changed mine and i bought the HT4's. I found them the cheapest on Amazon. i got all 8 for like $70.

You should also change the fuel filter if there is no record of that being done, and check the air filter.

Hope this helps.

The dealer says the trans fluid needs changed at 150K. It is a closed system, you might notice that there is no dipstick normal for the tranny. There is a little tiny dipstick on the right side of the transmission housing right above the pan though if you want to check it there. I know that because i just dropped my tranny to change the torque converter. You can drop the pan and change it if you want but the fluid is expensive. Make sure that you use Mercon SP fluid if you do. Not Mercon 5, it will not work. The back of the fluid bottle will tell you if it is acceptable for Mercon SP. I got mine from NAPA. It was a BG product that says on the back that it works for Mercon SP.

The spark plugs are pricy and if you plan on changing them yourself, be careful, they break very easily and get stuck in the head. you can google all the horror stories about them. There is a recent thread on this site about a 1 piece spark plug that has come out for them. i recommend those because they are much better than the two piece that break in the head.

I did not know about them when i changed mine and i bought the HT4's. I found them the cheapest on Amazon. i got all 8 for like $70.

You should also change the fuel filter if there is no record of that being done, and check the air filter.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the help! 150k miles sounds good to me :D

Yeah the spark plugs are scaring me pretty bad, two of the three mechanics I talked to warned me it could be extremely catastrophic if something went wrong with the plugs either during the change or after. Yet the longer I wait the harder it will be to take them out. Should I just change them now at 78k or wait until 100k when it's recommended?

Fuel filter! Forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me! :thumbsup:

Do what makes you comfortable, but IMO 150K is way too long to wait. IMO 78K is a perfect time to swap out some of the fluid.

Do what makes you comfortable, but IMO 150K is way too long to wait. IMO 78K is a perfect time to swap out some of the fluid.

Yeah it seems like a really long time to wait, but I was hoping ford stumbled upon something amazing with these closed system transmissions haha. Mostly because my mechanic told me how hard they were to change the oil. In other words he wanted a lot of money to do it of course haha.

Trying to get my preventative maintenance repair bill down but so far it's

Spark plugs $350
Radiator Flush $100
Transmission fluid change $Arm and a leg

One guy said he could do the spark plugs for $250, but he didn't inspire much confidence when I talked to him if you know what I mean :rolleyes:

Spark plugs: (I dont know yet)
Radiator: complete service and engine flush $60 - $75
Tranny: Complete service and to OEM spec $125 at Tranco

The 07 workshop manual says the 6r60 transmission oil does not have to be changed, not even under severe service conditions. My dealer says 30,000 miles. My son's 07 6r60 transmission oil was changed at 93,000 miles and both the oil level and condition were good. For me, it is peace of mind, since I don't believe that any oil will last forever in a hard working trans.

The workshop procedure appears too complicated for me since it needs special tools and the correct trans oil temperature to be maintained. The biggest concern was an air lock in the cooler lines partly due to the thermostat in the line. My Ford dealer charged $220 for the service which is the same as all other transmission services that I have had done.

The Motorcraft spark plugs are a two piece design that is exceedingly long. The firing end accumulates carbon between the side wall and the cylinder head wall. The carbon creates a very high resistance to the spark plug removal and the lower part of the plug separates at something like 35 lbs ft of torque. Changing the plugs earlier appears to be the best strategy.

Ford recommends doing the job only when engine is cold, blowing out the dust at the bottom of the plug well. Loosening the plug an 1/8 to 1/4 turn and putting 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of Motorcraft carb tune up cleaner into the well. The fluid will wick down the threads and onto the lower smooth wall of the plug and soften the carbon over a minimum 15 min period (longer wait time is recommended) but don't use extra fluid due to danger of hydro-lock. The plug is then removed very slowly by tightening and loosening untill removed. The expected removal torque is about 33 ft lbs (according to Champion the separating torque is 35 ft lbs). Ford recommends anti seize on the lower part of plug on installation.

If the plug separates there is a Lisle set of tools that can extract the parts left behind.

Champion makes a one piece spark plug for the 3 valve 4.6 engine. There may be others available but the stock plugs are not going to be a choice for me. I have not researched the Ford dealer charges yet. What I have heard is a basic cost of several hundreds of dollars and an incremental cost for each broken plug.

I have not yet found a "how to" for spark plug replacement on this site, but there are several long threads giving people's experience. That is quite a horror story in most cases for such a simple task.

Good luck.

I tow and snowplow with my v8. I changed the tranny fluid at 60 and then at 120 k miles just for my peace of mind. At 139k miles it runs still like new.

I believe the sealed transmission doesn't need to be changed as often however I don't believe Ford when they say its maintenance free! Ford only guarantees the trans for what 3-4 years? Most manufactures say after 10 years the vehicle is toast too. So it you want the trans to last the oil needs to be changed. Many people suggest every 150,000KM, I'm comfortable with that as well.

Its definitely not a job that you want just any shop to take on either since its so specialized. I would only trust a good tranny shop or a Ford dealer.

The 6R60, 6spd trans is NOT a sealed unit. It has a removable pan, reusable gasket and replacement filter. It uses Motorcraft Mercon SP only, which is semi-synthetic. There is a small screw-in dipstick on the right side of the trans just above the pan bolts and near the cat. (check level with caution due to severe burn hazard) Fluid level is to be checked when operating temp is above 175 F, as there is a temp vavle that opens above 175 to allow flow to the cooler.
My service manual recommends service at 30 months or 30,000 miles if operated under severe conditions like stop & go traffic, dusty conditions, extensive 4x4 use, snowplowing, etc.

All of the above info is from my 06 service manual and shop manual.

The 6R60, 6spd trans is NOT a sealed unit. It has a removable pan, reusable gasket and replacement filter. It uses Motorcraft Mercon SP only, which is semi-synthetic. There is a small screw-in dipstick on the right side of the trans just above the pan bolts and near the cat. (check level with caution due to severe burn hazard) Fluid level is to be checked when operating temp is above 175 F, as there is a temp vavle that opens above 175 to allow flow to the cooler.
My service manual recommends service at 30 months or 30,000 miles if operated under severe conditions like stop & go traffic, dusty conditions, extensive 4x4 use, snowplowing, etc.

I guess it depends on ones definition of "sealed". Having accessible interior components for repair and service is just common sense.

In most transmissions there is an air vent to relieve air pressure or vacuum and a convenient dipstick for an average owner/driver to gauge oil level. The 6r60 in the Explorer does not have an air vent and from that perspective is a sealed unit. The procedure to check oil level is a technical procedure that is definitely not for use by the average owner/driver, so on this count also the 6r60 is a sealed unit in that there are no owner/driver serviceable features.

Ford's maintenance schedule for the 2006 and 2007 Explorer in the Workshop Manual excludes the 6r60 from trans oil changes under severe operating conditions and all service intervals up to 240,000 kilometers (150,000 miles) and that also tends to label the transmission as a sealed unit. The 6r60 is not alone in long service intervals, the 4r75 also has this long service interval. Longer service intervals are an industry trend.

Just my different point of view.

yes, technically its not a sealed unit, Ford describes it as a maintenance free transmission. The" 07 scheduled maintenance guide" only recommends changing the oil on vehicles equipped with Torqueshift transmissions and says its not required on the 6R60.

So this begs the question do you change it, if so when? Some people on the forum deal with it the same as a typical transmission changing it every 30,000m and some say it doesn't need to be changed so they don't.

For your plugs be careful and do some research. I did mine after watching a few videos on youtube. Check this one out, it's the best. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsUdMbT0_oA

There is a tool out there if you just do a little google searching on extracting broken ford plugs. I bought the tool but after watching this guys video I was able to extract all my plugs and not brake them. Just need time and patience. Took me 4 hours. So I returned the $70 tool. I had 68k on the odometer when I changed mine to the one piece.

I recently changed the plugs myself at 84k. Read all I can before attempting it.
Used a breaker bar to loosen 1/4 turn then sprayed with PB Blaster waited 15 minutes then used 1/2 ratchet to remove them. All came out with no problem. I guess I was lucky. Before install new Motorcraft plugs used my indoor outdoor vacuum before installation. That will suck all the junk out of each spark plug port or whatever its called. But changing plugs yourself is scary. I was very happy when it was done. Cost me about $90 for the plugs. Dealers charge $600

I had my transmission serviced twice by local trany auto repair co. They changed the filter each time. The dealer tells you they never change the filter buts that is bull. Do you know what it cost to replace a 06' xlt trany? V8

I am the original owner on my 2006 Explorer with the 4.6 and I had the dealer flush the transmission at both 30k and 60k. I just hit 90k and just brought the truck to have the pan dropped, filter changed and fluid replaced. I figured at 90k miles the filter should be replaced and pan dropped, not just a flush. This truck is my baby and I plan on keeping it for a long time. It has treated me very well and I try and return the favor.

I have a 2002 and the owners manual says at every 250,000km(150,000 Milies) all transmissions must have transmission service done(im assuming fluid and filter). Every 50k kms is for transmissions specified. I heard 2002-05 owners have issues when they do it early however when the ones who do it as said they still have working transmissions past 300,000kms. I have an original transmission with 225,000kms.

The lifetime fill and maintenance free is pretty much nonsense. It basically is for them since when the problems arise, it'll be out of warranty and Ford won't have to deal with it. First thing we did when we purchased the used 06 was flush out the Trans and reprogram it. At 90k miles, the fluid was dark, real dark, and smelled not like what atf should smell like. I had a Benz that had maintenence free Trans and their new fangled atf back in the day. Rampant failures at around 75k miles, just passed the 60k warranty.

Sealed usually just means no dipstick. You'll always find fill and drain plugs.

I always check the Trans fluids in all my cars, whether it has the dipstick or not and usually change it out by 50k miles if it says 100k or lifetime. I'd never let any car go 150k miles.

My local Auto Trans Guru says he gets many cars in, via tow truck, before the recommended extended fluid change mileage is reached. My newly acquired 2006 has 125K on it and I am going to assume it has never been flushed and changed.

I am going to have them refill it with Amsoil Synthetic. It is plain and simple a better lubricant. Additionally it has a much higher oxidation temperature.

I went to have all my diffs and transfer case done with everything being synthetic. Power steering is the only fluid that is non-syn besides the transmission. They said and showed that my tranny oil is still good at 50-60% used life. That was checked during March break which had 224k. Rest assured when it comes time to change it will be getting the synthetic treatment like every other part requiring fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow...glad I read this.
Our 2006 XLT V6 has almost 85k miles. Original fluid.
So you guys are saying to change the tranny fluid...regardless of what the book says.?
Can "any" shop do this, or should I go to Ford...any idea of cost in round numbvera.?
Thank You

Back