Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

No Key Detected

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by cjlock, April 2, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Logangray02sport

Logangray02sport Member

City, State:
    ford dealership in ardmore oklahoma
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2002 ford explorer sport
    on some models there is a reprogram for the Intelligent key module to help with this issue, but without vin ran through Oasis for tsb's or SSMs it would be hard to say if yours would be one that can be or needed to be reprogramed. battery in remote could be weak. Would have to take it in to the dealership to really address the issue.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Not sure if this may be the problem or not but have you ever changed the battery in your fob? Does the same issue happen when you use the 2nd fob?

Peter

4. Wild Skies

Wild Skies New Member

City, State:
    Northcentral Wisconsin
    '11 Explorer LTD 4WD 302A
    The issue occurs with both fobs. Having only owned this Explorer since 3/28/15 I haven't yet changed the battery nor have I any knowledge if the previous owner changed it or not. It wouldn't seem likely to be a battery issue if it happens with both fobs, would it?

5. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    It could be possible that both batteries may be weak. It would be an inexpensive way to find out by changing one before going any further.

Peter

6. edino

edino Member

City, State:
    Dubai
    2017 Lexus RX350
    My wife just called me, and told me she is having the "key not detected" issue, right in the 110F blistering sun with her 4 friends. I asked her to put the key in the holder in the console in between the seats, and the car started....

We had the same problem on the day we picked up the car new. I had changed the key fob battery proactively already, so for sure its not a battery issue.

With all the issues I have faced with our '15, 55K$ Explorer, I feel less and less happy with our car. I am not going to bother now putting pressure on the dealer for a fix... they will not fix it, just tell they reset the system... but will keep the car for 3 days in the shop for doing that! :-(

Last edited: August 31, 2015
  7. bribol

bribol New Member

City, State:
    Middle River, Mn
    2013 ford explorer
    I agree with you edino about not being happy! We have a 13 explorer limited with 69,000 miles. "out of warranty" Its to the point that now about 2/3rds of the time the car won't detect the key until I dig it out of my pocket and press the lock button. The car seems to then snap back to normal and recognize the key. The car also doesn't unlock when you grab the door handle most times any more. Again, I press the unlock button and it then works fine. I've replaced the batteries with no change. I hope Ford gets this figured out! It looks like We'll be trading soon and I think I'll pass on all the "high end" options.

8. albguy40

albguy40 New Member

City, State:
    Toronto, ON
    2013 Explorer Ltd. AWD
    I feel sorry for people buying Sports and Limiteds without extended warranties. These cars are money pits after 2 or 3 years and the warranties will pay for themselves in no time! I plan on keeping mine till 7 years/200km and selling it or trading it in the day the warranty runs out

9. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
    Not sure why a few of the Explorers have this happen. Please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it always shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

10. edino

edino Member

City, State:
    Dubai
    2017 Lexus RX350
    Our Explorer went in for her first service yesterday, oil and air-filter change. We mentioned that on 2 occasions the key was not detected while entering the cabin after it was remote started. Their response was that this is due to a software issue, and is faced by many customers. The work-around is that when it happens, is to lock the car via the remote and unlock it again; the key should be detected immediately. Changing hardware will not make any difference. They have raised this issue to Ford, without receiving a fix until now. At least we know the work around now, will try it next time it happens. My dealer is really making the difference, but I really feel Ford itself should do much better.

11. Wild Skies

Wild Skies New Member

City, State:
    Northcentral Wisconsin
    '11 Explorer LTD 4WD 302A
    Well, it appears that both batteries became weak simultaneously. I replaced the old batteries with new in both key fobs and the vehicle now starts right up with either fob.

Thanks!

Last edited: September 6, 2015
  12. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
    Memphis tn
    I would probably guess that within 2 years the key fob battery on these new "keyless entry" fobs would be dead or almost dead - they have to transmit quite a bit, quite often.

I noticed the book for my 2016 says to replace them every year for optimal performance

13. awd_sr

awd_sr New Member

City, State:
    Bowie, MD
    2011 Explorer Limited
    I've had this issue for about 6 months. Took it to the dealer, paid $100 to be told they dont know what the issue is. Took it back in recently (turned out to be the PTU issue, unrelated) and they said I need to replace the push button module, $454!!!

14. ShiloJess

ShiloJess Member

2016 Explorer Sport
    That is not so bad, afterall your vehicle is 8yrs old. Things won't last forever, I should know, I look in the mirror everyday. :)

15. awd_sr

awd_sr New Member

City, State:
    Bowie, MD
    2011 Explorer Limited
    Its my 2011 Explorer, never updated my profile since I traded in the SportTrac... either way, components should be built to last!

16. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Please update your profile to end any confusion. Thanks.

Peter

17. ShiloJess

ShiloJess Member

2016 Explorer Sport
    Like i said, things wear out, such it is. Some components seem to last forever, others not so much. I am sure each one of our vehicles have or will have something go at one time or another.

18. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

City, State:
    Memphis tn
    I think maybe some threads merged.

This is a good data point. Probably a software patch - but like all computers they need a good reboot from time to time.

the using the keyfob to unlock is a hard code way to trigger the security system to notice the key. There is a larger burst of signal sent when it's being actively used. (if you can imagine in your pocket and using the button on the handle the key is sending out say 100 mW of RF and a short code to the computer - but when you press a button it sends 400mW of RF and a multiple pass longer code to the computer).

So far our 2016 hasn't hiccuped once on the key but I wonder now if part of that is because every time I drive it I remote start it.

19. Sequoia Hall

Sequoia Hall New Member

2011 Explorer 4wd Limited
    Should the dealer replace this module. I am having this same issue.

Love my car just need to be able to start it.

20. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
    Do you get the same message with both fobs? Also, have you changed the batteries since you got them?

Peter

21. Sequoia Hall

Sequoia Hall New Member

2011 Explorer 4wd Limited
    Yes I have. I got the dealership to replicate the problem after having my car with them for about a week. They think the only fix is the key module replacement for aver $500. Seems like if the car cant start it should be under my powertrain warranty.
    Again love my car just want to make sure I can start it when I needed.