• Register Today It's free!

OuterBanks

greenhornet3147

Reaction score
City, State
lawrenceville, nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer XLT
(yes I searched) Going to Avon in 3 weeks taking wifes Jeep not the Ex where exctly can you drive on the Beach down at the outer banks and are there air Stations near by I really dont' feel like lugging all the crap onto the beach I'm spoiled at island beach. Can anybody help Do i need a permit. I would bring most of my off road gear what are the beaches like?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes you can drive on the beach. No you do not need a permit. Around Avon there are service stations with air. You should not go out on the beach without a strap, shovel, a jack and a jack pad. An air tank is optional. I recommend tire pressure around 20-psi.

There is a lot of beach to drive on around Avon. North is about 10-15 miles with nothing but the occasional seagull. The sand tends to be a little soft and deep in spots, low air pressure, low range and sand driving experience should get you through in a stock 4x4. There are numerous pulloffs to access the sound (a great place to let small children swim). In my opinion the best place to go is the point at Cape Hatterus. It is very close to the light house. Enjoy.

Cool

I Have all that stuff for here in nj thinking maybe Ill take th ex down I trust it in the sand and i know how it handles.

The only time I have been stuck in the sand was north of Avon, a long time ago, stock, first time out. I am going to be in Nags Head the week of 13 through 20. I don't think my X will be finished in time, hydrolocked motor. We might finish it tommorow, but I am not going to go far from home til I am sure the bugs are out. I will be taking my Ranger (black level II). I don't think I will make it as far south as Avon

It's a blast. Here's my families caravan on Corova beach 2 weeks ago:

107402278.jpg

Definately make sure you have that shovel, though. :)

If you're planning on taking an Ex on the outer banks, keep an eye on your transmission temp. (if auto) Especially in the deeper sand near avon/waves/salvo. Last time out mine almost didn't get me back. After a flush, new filter, and lucas trans treatment everythings fine. Thank the lord for lucas. Have a good trip regardless.

You may want to add the transmission treatment before you get to the sand. Also for specific info the North Carolinia Beach Buggy Association is the best place to look. I dont know the wev address I think it is ncbeachbuggy.org but I am not sure.

First time I took mine out there, my reverse stopped working in high range. Well still wanted to work just wouldnt move. I don't realy care driving down there, it gets a little boaring after a while.

The beach is nothing, drive out behind the dunes on the trails. That's where you can have some fun. Also, watch out for the tree stumps and other debris which could really mess you up. Oh yeah, sea turtles too...

2605OB_2.jpg

I actualy got pulled over on my dirtbike down there once. But you have to keep it pinned in some spots because the sand is so soft. I've been back on the trails in Carola. It was OK, but not worth the 2 hour drive unless you were going to kick it on the beach for a cook out or something.

Back