Cape Cod Beach Run: August 27th and 28th | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cape Cod Beach Run: August 27th and 28th

V8BoatBuilder

Transplanted Bostonian
Reaction score
City, State
East Brunswick, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Mountaineer V8 4x4
A few people at the NEOW.org forums are planning a beach run at the Cape Cod National Seashore Offroad Corridor for the end of August. I'm going to be joining them for some sandy fun - who's in?

http://forum.neow.net/index.php?showtopic=42122

Permits are $30 for a 7-day period, so I'll most likley buy mine for the week before and spend lots of time on the sand. (Which is a fantastic deal, since normal beach access is $15/day).

Permit info is here:
http://www.nps.gov/caco/activities/oversand/index.html

Permits can be bought in advance, or on the day of arrival.

There is also National Park Service camping at Nickerson State Park, in Brewster, and private campgrounds close enough that airing up isn't necessary.

For those who don't know, the CCNS runs the Eastern tip of Cape Cod, out by Provincetown. I've been to the beach many times (its awesome), but never purchased a permit to drive the truck on the sand.

Bring your fishing equipment, too!

P-Town is about 2.5 hours from Boston, but worth the drive for the camping, wheeling, fishing, and the town.

Route Map:
http://www.nps.gov/caco/activities/oversand/images/route_largemap.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As someone else had so eloquently asked.......Do we get to hold hands? :D

Summer Breeze on Cape Cod...

Aaron,

Sorry I won't be able to make it, but please let me know how the Mountaineer performs during this outing. Take care.

All the Best,

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers :)

rcpasq said:
Aaron,

Sorry I won't be able to make it, but please let me know how the Mountaineer performs during this outing. Take care.

All the Best,

Bob Pasquale
Tech Performance & Engineering
Torque Monster Headers :)

Will do! Sure you're not up for the cross country drive?

I'm looking forward to seeing how these pipes do, too. You guys making some for the 4.0L SOHC yet? :cool:

Fordexplorer157 said:
I might actully take mine on the sand!
:rofl smilie: :BS smilie:

Our smilies suck. Anyways, I'd love to take my fishing equipment up; provided I get some decent stuff. Don't I need a permit, though?

Saltwater fishing is free - no permit required!

However, you'll need the truck permit to drive on the sand.

how would 2wd do in the sand??
also how far down is that. 3 hour drive???

Fordexplorer157 said:
I might actully take mine on the sand!

Yeah right Matt :D

Ok, I offically have the 26th - 29th off. We need a camp site. Hint Hint

Despite my housing "issues," the weekend looks good for me now.

Thank the lord. Are 4 wheelers allowed? If So I am bringin one

V8BoatBuilder said:
Despite my housing "issues," the weekend looks good for me now.

Fordexplorer157 said:
Thank the lord. Are 4 wheelers allowed? If So I am bringin one

Don't think so, but you can call the ranger station. The phone # is listed in the first post link.

Gotta see if I can talk my brother into going on this one even though it is a four hour drive for us , and he has fishing equipment too..........wish me luck :D

Damn Matt, you'll have an almost seven hour drive :eek:

Ah hell, talked to my brother and he is not interested in going :(

davidmmm69 said:
how would 2wd do in the sand??
also how far down is that. 3 hour drive???
Most baja trucks are 2WD. With those muds, as long as you kept momentum up the dunes i'd think you'd be good, especially with a non-open diff. Which rear end do you have anyways?

By the way, if you're unsure, make sure you have recovery points just in case. (Tow hooks, etc.) So we can pull your ass outta the dunes if necessary.

The 6 Hour trip or so will be worth it! I am takeing my Rig Semi Off Road.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

izackary said:
Most baja trucks are 2WD. With those muds, as long as you kept momentum up the dunes i'd think you'd be good, especially with a non-open diff. Which rear end do you have anyways?

By the way, if you're unsure, make sure you have recovery points just in case. (Tow hooks, etc.) So we can pull your ass outta the dunes if necessary.

Limited slip/ what do you suggest for hooks.

Back