Wanted performance!!!!

Parts or services wanted

explorerman9010

Reaction score
City, State
Anniston Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
ok i know very little about the specs on my 1994 expo it has of coarse a 4.0 but how can i get maximum power for minimum cash without a engine swap because i was considering going with a gen 2 SOHC but heard about the timing issues and said ok ill go with a 5.0 out of a 96 explorer but it seems like more trouble than its worth for the power..im lost here oh mighty explorer gods grace me with the knowledge to go and create the meanest 4.0 on the block so i may rip the pavement in twain lol xD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hello,
Already you-can change the air box, Then change your muffler exhaust .Your Explorer will now breathe a little easier.

1)Air box by KKM

radB587E.gif

2)Flowmaster 40 series muffler

rad9C734.jpg

The 5.0L swap is NOT more trouble than it's worth.

Modifying the 4.0L for more horsepower, AND getting a reliable drivetrain out of it....that IS more trouble than it's worth.

The 5.0L STARTS with more power than you get out of a 4.0L with all the traditional bolt-ons....THEN you can modify the 5.0L with all the traditional bolt-ons, and get over 2x the power of the stock 4.0L. Then you get to the transmission selection. The 4.0L has a weak selection of weak transmissions. The 5.0L has NUMEROUS options, and even the stock Explorer 5.0L transmission was rated to handle 700 ft./lbs of torque....

As someone else has said, the 5.0L/4R70W engine/transmission combo is about as bullet proof as it gets, when it comes to drivetrain options in the Explorer, covering ALL years.

Ryan

Back