Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Wanted performance!!!!

Discussion in 'Modified 1991-1994 Explorers' started by explorerman9010, December 29, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. explorerman9010

explorerman9010 New Member

City, State:
    Anniston Alabama
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1994 XLT
    ok i know very little about the specs on my 1994 expo it has of coarse a 4.0 but how can i get maximum power for minimum cash without a engine swap because i was considering going with a gen 2 SOHC but heard about the timing issues and said ok ill go with a 5.0 out of a 96 explorer but it seems like more trouble than its worth for the power..im lost here oh mighty explorer gods grace me with the knowledge to go and create the meanest 4.0 on the block so i may rip the pavement in twain lol xD

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. baphomet666

baphomet666 Active Member

City, State:
    Bordeaux,FRANCE
    Explorer.1994. 4WD
    hello,
    Already you-can change the air box, Then change your muffler exhaust .Your Explorer will now breathe a little easier.

1)Air box by KKM

[​IMG]

2)Flowmaster 40 series muffler

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. red.EDDIE.4x4

red.EDDIE.4x4 Active Member

City, State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    '93 Eddie Bauer 4x4
  5. Slowlyvverot

Slowlyvverot Active Member

City, State:
    Greensboro, NC
    93 ExElTee
    gear swap=torque

6. Spdrcer34

Spdrcer34 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bremerton, WA
    1992 Explorer XL
    The 5.0L swap is NOT more trouble than it's worth.

Modifying the 4.0L for more horsepower, AND getting a reliable drivetrain out of it....that IS more trouble than it's worth.

The 5.0L STARTS with more power than you get out of a 4.0L with all the traditional bolt-ons....THEN you can modify the 5.0L with all the traditional bolt-ons, and get over 2x the power of the stock 4.0L. Then you get to the transmission selection. The 4.0L has a weak selection of weak transmissions. The 5.0L has NUMEROUS options, and even the stock Explorer 5.0L transmission was rated to handle 700 ft./lbs of torque....

As someone else has said, the 5.0L/4R70W engine/transmission combo is about as bullet proof as it gets, when it comes to drivetrain options in the Explorer, covering ALL years.

Ryan