Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited | Page 13 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project Vehicle - 1998 Explorer Limited

Can I drive it with the bottom of the egr tube undone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, no harm at all with that.

I'd not want to drive it a long way with the bottom nut threads vibrating on each other, I'd try to start the nut on the threads a bit to keep the parts together.

How do you feel about taking the intake elbow off? then you would have full access to those two egr bolts. Maybe pull the whole upper intake? I understand none of those bolts have been moved for a very long time, so no one is surprised at the difficulty you are having.

How do you feel about taking the intake elbow off? then you would have full access to those two egr bolts. Maybe pull the whole upper intake? I understand none of those bolts have been moved for a very long time, so no one is surprised at the difficulty you are having.

I considered removing the intake elbow but the bolts actually look longer than the space to back them out into between the intake elbow and the AC stuff.

If they come out what all will I need to install the intake elbow back on? A gasket?

There is a gasket there, and hopefully it stays intact. You can smear some rtv lightly on the surfaces to re-install.

On the bolts, If I remember correctly on a factory setup, there is one bolt that wont come out all the way, but will unscrew all the way. With the bolt unscrewed, you can remove the elbow with the bolt still in the elbow hole.

Ditto, good thought, take the whole elbow/TB etc off. It's bigger but not too bad to work with. The gasket there is sturdy and usually reusable, RTV works great(just put it on thin).

Okay. So I was planning on taking it to a shop to get it done but I might try taking off the elbow.

I actually fear installing the new one after all of this. (Lining it up and getting it tight enough to not leak.)

Getting the new EGR pipe threaded is the only tough part. Get both sides started, before tightening either. You want the pipe to set square at the fitting of each end, that's the best position to be able to get the fittings to thread on. So test fit it well before starting to thread either end. If it doesn't line up well, it may need to be tweaked/bent a little.

Are you certain your manifold isn’t cracked? I only ask because after all this, and if the manifold still leaks from a crack, I’d want to burn the truck down.

Are you certain your manifold isn’t cracked? I only ask because after all this, and if the manifold still leaks from a crack, I’d want to burn the truck down.
It's the earlier fabricated manifold which I understand is a major p i t a. No guarantees but mine looks pretty good. The bung were the EGR tube screws into looks very good and actually the lower EGR nut came off pretty easily with just using my torque wrench set 125 lb. I got enough leverage that way that it broke loose pretty easy. It was reseating the crowfoot rench over and over again over an hour and a half to unscrew it that made me want to blow my brains out!

Your manifold isn’t entirely covered by heat shields? I’ve never seen a factory tube manifold that didn’t leak. I’ve looked at well over 100 Explorers when buying the last 2 Mountaineers.

Your manifold isn’t entirely covered by heat shields? I’ve never seen a factory tube manifold that didn’t leak. I’ve looked at well over 100 Explorers when buying the last 2 Mountaineers.
It is but doesn't look bad at all. I know it could crack under the heat shields but it actually looks pretty clean and new for being so old!

Maybe someone replaced that exhaust already? The fear of taking that manifold off will be broken studs in the head (95% that will happen). I'm betting if that manifold has been replaced, you will see that some of the exhaust manifold bolts are missing. That might be a problem also.

I'm certain you can pull the elbow and throttle body off together (With the egr tube) without too much trouble. There will be some swearing involved unless your relaxed going in to it. lol.

I’ve replaced them on both my 5.0s. No issues. Manifold looked great ( the heat shields) and one manifold was cracked entirely in two, came out in two pieces, and the other was 3/4 split.

Your explorer doesn’t tick slightly on a cold start and go away in a minute or so?

Your explorer doesn’t tick slightly on a cold start and go away in a minute or so?
No it was only ticking on throttle. I assume because the gash in the EGR tube.

Both my 5.0s ticked under accel when cold. One had a cracked EGR tube, one didn’t.

Now mine sounds like tick-central with the egr tube disconnected. I moved it to the top of the drive just now and it's loud! LOL

@Dono I've been told that the bolts on the manifolds on V8 Explorers are easy to get out in comparison to most things.

Anyhow I swear this whole subject sounds like a rabbit hole to me, like man so much for an EGR tube or manifold.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wait until you get to the collector bolts.

Back