1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project | Page 41 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project

My thumbs work well to feel that seam of the oil pan and cover. I remember helping a friend put together his old 351W and the cover didn't line up. He had the engine apart for many months and those dowels were out during his long cleaning. I saw it before we had fully tightened the bolts, so we loosened them and moved the cover to where it needed to be. Boy that was a long tine ago, the mid 80's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

IMG_6817.jpeg

IMG_6816.jpeg

IMG_6819.jpeg

IMG_6820.jpeg

IMG_6821.jpeg

Big improvement!

Did you use the install condom? I like to remove the spring, oil and press the seal and then re install the spring just to make sure the seal does not get torn when installing on the valve stem

Big improvement!

Did you use the install condom? I like to remove the spring, oil and press the seal and then re install the spring just to make sure the seal does not get torn when installing on the valve stem
haha, yeah I used the condom! Safe sealing!! Lots of lube too!

Hoping that by the end of the coming weekend I have all the engine prep done and I can schedule the motor swap and trans rebuild into my schedule. Need this all done before the end of the year.

Trying to get the engine and transmission out this weekend. Drained the trans fluid and dropped the drive shaft today. I was surprised to find the original dipstick tube plug in the pan. Could this transmission actually have 280,000 miles on it? Hard to believe. Pr maybe someone fluid swapped at a lube shop but never dropped the pan. Hmmm…

IMG_7597.jpeg

IMG_7596.jpeg

They’re pretty stout. I plowed heavy with my first Mounty, and ran the trans dry enough it wouldn’t move, twice. At 210k it still shifted fine.

We see them with 250-300k on them often
Good time for a rebuild when everything is still working

Im almost ready to pull this engine.
Question for the 5.0 guys who have done engine pulls. Any concerns with the right side exhaust manifold hitting the AC box? Any tips or tricks I should know?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nope no concerns the engine will pull right up and out of there. It is tight, but she fits as long as you are careful. You can pull a 5.0 with both exhaust manifolds in place no problem, I do it all the time (I have pulled 100 of these)

Back