1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project | Page 40 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Explorer 5.0 “Restoration2021” project

Well the engine was definitely sitting for some time out of a vehicle. maybe it is possible that the antifreeze evaporated the water and it's rust and Glycol. But I'm not sure at the moment.

There was no milky anything, anywhere else in this thing.
That's very possible as well

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These late
Model 302s are tough and generally people seem to take care of them. Most of the ones I open look like this, very little signs of wear internally and very little carbon. Every once in a while you get what I call a “castor oil” or “pennsoil” engine lol…. With lots of carbon buildup and some sludge but still generally very little signs of wear on the hard parts… good crosshatching no raised ridges and good clean smooth cam and crank bearings. Almost all of the 5.0 I work on are well over 150k miles.

Nothing against castor oil or pennzoil dudes lol I’m just a big fan of Mobil and valvoline

These late
Model 302s are tough and generally people seem to take care of them. Most of the ones I open look like this, very little signs of wear internally and very little carbon. Every once in a while you get what I call a “castor oil” or “pennsoil” engine lol…. With lots of carbon buildup and some sludge but still generally very little signs of wear on the hard parts… good crosshatching no raised ridges and good clean smooth cam and crank bearings. Almost all of the 5.0 I work on are well over 150k miles.

Nothing against castor oil or pennzoil dudes lol I’m just a big fan of Mobil and valvoline
So far everything in this engine looks good. Just need to rule out an issue with the goop I saw last night.

Well shoot, where did my dowel go??

IMG_6786.jpeg

I forgot to mention that the Explorer is parked in my daughters driveway. I went there the other day and it looks like somone tried breaking into it by pulling or prying up the tail gate. Now the rear door where the hinges attach is bent. Makes a loud pop noise when you open it. And the body gap by the right rear tail light is almost 3/4". So I'll have to look for another tailgate soon as this is rolling again.

Not sure if I mentioned this either that while I was looking for this replacement motor my mother in law seized up the 2.2 Ecotec in her 2004 Chevy Cavalier. So I had to deal with that too. I got that running again yesterday. Those darn motors are more expensive than the 5.0. Go figure. But it is one project out of the way now.

/\ I've heard those little Ecotech / Cavalier era engines can make it to 300,000 and beyond with decent maintenance....what's mileage on hers?
Sorry to hear about rear hatch... low lifes everywhere....

/\ I've heard those little Ecotech / Cavalier era engines can make it to 300,000 and beyond with decent maintenance....what's mileage on hers?
Sorry to hear about rear hatch... low lifes everywhere....
Well the car says 109k, but three years ago we put a used engine in it. And now we put another used engine in it. Both had unknown mileage. The 2.2 isn't a terrible engine to work on. The water pump job is annoying. But you have to watch out for worn out timing chain guides. That's where trouble lies. But I pulled this engine with my buddy at the pick a part yard in less than 90 min. And once it started it didn't smoke or make noise. So I'm happy enough with it.
Problem with the one that was replaced is after 3 years my Mother in law asked me when she should change her oil. I told her ASAP, and the engine seized a couple days later before oil was changed. Guess I'll be checking the oil much more often now.

Yep.....3 year old oil equals destroyed engine! I've read consumer reviews where people have 250 - 300K plus on original engine without any internal work done / needed and still purring along. Okay, back to Ford talk before I get booted, been veering off topic a lot lately.

If they change their oil lol

Sorry about the body damage that stinks

Well the good side of the MIL car being done is I'll get this motor buttoned up and get the truck here and pull the engine and trans. I'm going to overhaul the trans while it is out. Once everything is done she should be good for some time!

I bet you that ****tail was mixed just from the dis assembly. Did you look in the timing cover for the dowels
Yeah.. so I ordered a set of dowel pins from amazon, then noticed the dowel fell into the box for the new timing cover after I test fit it...whoops!

I hate those locating dowls

You could leave them out, they aren't critical. I'll be leaving out the dowels in the back of my block when I do the trans swap; those are more important.

I'll be putting on the timing cover and water pump before the oil pan since it's on the engine stand. I'll use the dowels just to keep it in place at this point.

I think that's the main purpose of the dowels, to line up the timing cover to the bottom edge of the block, so the oil pan seals right.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And to Piss us off and sell more timing covers!!

Back