Removing Interior Get To Trans Access Plate | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removing Interior Get To Trans Access Plate

No, the slide is a tight fit. I've had to use a small sledge pounding on a block of wood placed the angled bar under the cupholder to get some of them to move. Some of the consoles are very tightly fitted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before I go through this, does this give me access to the right front oxygen sensor connector on a 2000 SOHC? I ask because as best I can trace that wire trying to reach up from underneath it appears it goes somewhere between the engine and firewall, not to the console area.

Funny thing was I did manage to replace the left front sensor, but took about half hour of struggling to get my hands around the connector. If I found this first maybe kill two birds with one stone.

Do V6s have this access panel also? It looks like it would offer good access to wiring and transmission bolts...

might mention the reason to pull straight back is because of 2 guide pins in the front and 2 HUGE clips in the back the males are on the console and the females are on the floorboard - I had gave up being delicate with it and sit in the back seat, pretty much gave it a bear hug and yanked hard enuff to break a man in half and boom it came out

Do V6s have this access panel also? It looks like it would offer good access to wiring and transmission bolts...
My 2000 4.0 2WD has the access panel.
I'll bet they all do...

wait, to change the rear 02's i need to do all this? wtf? what do the rear o2's really do anyway? if its this much work, ill just clip the wires and be done with it if it wont throw a CEL

Thanks for the info and photos. this is super helpful and will save me a load of time and frustration.

THATS HOW YOU GET TO THAT OXY SENSOR... holy ****, it was near impossible to get my hand up the underside to change the right hand side oxy sensor (much easier with a body lift)

Great pictorial on how to remove the front seat. Made my job of replacing the driver's side seat belt receiver easy and accomplishing the swap within an hour. Thanks a lot.

I'll just add, that in my case the U-clips that the screws for the access plate bolt to were so rusted that when I tried to unscrew them the U-clips broke and they just spun. So I had to grind the heads off the bolts. Had I just tried cutting the carpet I never would have been able to do that.

Now with new U-clips and screws I have cut the carpet for next time. (there is always a next time).

Back