Ride height issue on a 2003 2 door Sport 4x4 w/plow. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ride height issue on a 2003 2 door Sport 4x4 w/plow.

ebsavelle

Reaction score
City, State
Waterbury, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 2dr Sport
My story. I put together a personal plow truck out of a 2001 Sport 2d 4x4 by installing a Homesteader plow, limited slip, and best of all a "rubber bushing thingie" that virtually eliminates that unsightly "nose-dive" look with the plow mounted. I loved the package so much that I went out and found a newer, better condition 2003 to do the same. But I've run into a little snag. Ford changed the front suspension from '01 to '03. No "rubber bushing thingie" option available to me. Any suggestions how to maintain ride height (in the front) without destroying the ride?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 door sports up until 2003 should all have a torsion bar front suspension and leaf pack in the rear. Not sure where or how you mounted the bushings to lift the front up since the front would have a regular non coilover shock. To lift the front of a torsion bar front end, you crank on the bolts of the torsion bar adjusters to change ride height. The only ones that I know of that have struts in the front are the 3rd gen 4 doors starting in 2002. Have any pictures of your suspension set up?

Dan

My delay writing back is because I took some pictures to further show the 2 differant front ends, but can't figure out how to post them. I think they can explain better then me.

Interesting, I have never seen a setup like that.

The front ends are the same. The bushing you are refering to is a bumpstop to keep the front end from bottoming out. On your 2001 looks like someone took the old one off and just bolted that one on. You can most likely do the same on yor 2003, you would just have to cut the old one off and drill a hole to bolt it on. It looks like the bumpstop (bushing) on your 2001 is some kind of progressive rate bumpstop.

Dan

I know the guys that installed the "bumpstop" on my '01. Can't remember the manufacturer though. They are the ones that said no way to my new '03after looking it up. But I'll try to appeal to their adventurous side by first showing them the images you all saw and them bringing them both vehicles if I have to. If that fails, I'll just reseasrch the mfg and buy the darn things and install them myself. It's not the skill level, it's just finding the time. I think they might be by Timken or a similar name.

They are made by timbren. I found them here on this website. I wasn't aware they made anything like that for the front of explorers. http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3238
The website only lists them for up to 2001, but I think that is because that's the last model year for the second gen but the sports were the same suspension until 2003. I don't see why they wouldn't fit.

Dan

I was Just curious which mount you used for the plow? I was thinking of putting one on my explorer.

Back