• Register Today It's free!

Rocker Panels

4X4Bauer

Reaction score
City, State
Goffstown, New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB V6
From the title, you've probably guessed that my explorer has rusty rocker panels. I'm going to get a quote on getting them repaired this week, but wanted to get any experiences you guys have had with replacing your rockers or any advice on the matter (cost estimation, mechanic or done at home, etc..). The only thing is that only half of my rockers are rusted. At the rear doors, the panels have holes in them and are completely gone. In the front doors, there is no rust whatsoever.. So would that make the repair cheaper, being that only half of the panels are really rusted? Thanks.

If you get them fixed and drive in the winter (if your state uses salt) the rust will come back. This is why no body shop guarantees rust repairs will stay rust free. The rocker repair I did a year or so back has not rusted yet but I do not drive it as much anymore. Just my two cents before you go and pay a lot.

Thanks. If I do get it done I'm going to be getting an undercoating before the next winter. That's only if the repair is for a reasonable amount. If it's way out of budget I'm just going to sell it then save up for a decent car.

Back