Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Shift lever hard to move after 5r55e swap

Discussion in 'Transmissions & Transfer Cases' started by ksandman, July 7, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. ksandman

ksandman New Member

City, State:
      Haverhill,Ma
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '99 Ranger w/4.0 OHV
      Hi guys,

Just finished swapping out my "no reverse" 5R55E with a 5000 mile donor trans. Did it in the driveway, no CAT removal, no floor jack, lots of scrapes & aches. I noticed that shift lever on side of donor tranny was hard to move before hooking ball-joint-linkage back up from shifter cable. I can get shift lever to move inside, but it is way harder than my old tranny. I've already sprayed PB Blaster and WD40 on the bolt that the shifter lever (tranny) rotates on. Is it possible that the nut holding this lever on is too tight? Any other adjustments that I might have changed while doing the swap? Donor trans was from a 1999 and has sat for awhile. Thanks for your input!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. drdoom

drdoom Well-Known Member

City, State:
      VA
      2005 Eddie Bauer 4.6L 4X4
      I am thinking no. Perhaps the Digital Transmission Range sensor is sticking...only other thing I can think of would be the drift pin or the manual valve, both unlikely. I assume you pulled the pan prior to installation, to replace the filter, did everything look OK in there?

Last edited: July 10, 2011
    4. swetrid

swetrid Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Reading Pa
      1999 Eddie Bauer
      Sometimes the mlp sensor (trans range sensor) gets worn and is hard to move and will cause your symptoms.

5. ksandman

ksandman New Member

City, State:
      Haverhill,Ma
      '99 Ranger w/4.0 OHV
      Thans for input!

Thanks guys,
      Had forgotten to adjust that plastic slip joint piece down at the cable bracket. Cable was preloaded hard against "PARK" and it took extra effort to move shifter down. Hung my 3# weight, moved all to "D", and reinstalled adjuster clip. Much better now, although still a little stiffer than my old tranny. Filter, etc. looked pristine and TRS should be OK with only 5k on this tranny.