Shift lever hard to move after 5r55e swap | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Shift lever hard to move after 5r55e swap

ksandman

Reaction score
City, State
Haverhill,Ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Ranger w/4.0 OHV
Hi guys,

Just finished swapping out my "no reverse" 5R55E with a 5000 mile donor trans. Did it in the driveway, no CAT removal, no floor jack, lots of scrapes & aches. I noticed that shift lever on side of donor tranny was hard to move before hooking ball-joint-linkage back up from shifter cable. I can get shift lever to move inside, but it is way harder than my old tranny. I've already sprayed PB Blaster and WD40 on the bolt that the shifter lever (tranny) rotates on. Is it possible that the nut holding this lever on is too tight? Any other adjustments that I might have changed while doing the swap? Donor trans was from a 1999 and has sat for awhile. Thanks for your input!

Is it possible that the nut holding this lever on is too tight?

I am thinking no. Perhaps the Digital Transmission Range sensor is sticking...only other thing I can think of would be the drift pin or the manual valve, both unlikely. I assume you pulled the pan prior to installation, to replace the filter, did everything look OK in there?

Sometimes the mlp sensor (trans range sensor) gets worn and is hard to move and will cause your symptoms.

Thans for input!

Thanks guys,
Had forgotten to adjust that plastic slip joint piece down at the cable bracket. Cable was preloaded hard against "PARK" and it took extra effort to move shifter down. Hung my 3# weight, moved all to "D", and reinstalled adjuster clip. Much better now, although still a little stiffer than my old tranny. Filter, etc. looked pristine and TRS should be OK with only 5k on this tranny.

Back