• Register Today It's free!

T case swap

mrbird09

Reaction score
City, State
San Mateo Calli
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Eddie Bauer 4x4
hey guys im doing an sas to my ex and i just bought a 94 wrangle dana 30 from a jy 70 bucks. im looking to make this a leaf spring set up for street use. but why do i have to swap my tcase to a manual whats wrong with the automatic does it not kick out of gear?? can someone help me here:rolleyes:
thanks guys much appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ran my stock electric transfer case and dana 30 for a couple years without any problems.

I ran my stock electric transfer case and dana 30 for a couple years without any problems.

thats what i have is a dnan 30 so i figure it would work right? why do more work you dont need to do. but i did hear they dont disconnect out of gear once in 4x4?? and does the front shaft still spin when in 2wd?

I don't remember much about the dana 30, but I do know the axles spin all the time because there is no hub to unlock. As for the drive shaft, I think it depends on what dana 30 you have. If it has the disconnect thing on the passenger side, I think the drive shaft will free wheel. It won't have any resistance, and you can turn it by hand, but it may rotate as you drive.

theres nothing wrong with the auto tcase people just like levers not electric that could burn out or whatever
and my jeep d30 spins the dshaft(no disconnect or hubs) but the the tcase will free spin in 2wd

The 1354 electric shift case works just fine except for the shift motor being tempermental at times. The problem with the later 4405 cases is that they have an electromagnetic clutch in them or something like that which causes them to not truely be in 4wd and allow slippage between the front and rear which is why I swapped in a 1354 manual case. No electronics to fail and I just like levers.

Does anyone know if you can swap a 4405 to a 1354 electric and will the shift motor work correctly, obviously the control trac will not.

Back