1. Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Dismiss Notice

Time for tires

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by gsueagle2424, July 17, 2013.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

?

Which to choose?

Poll closed November 15, 2017.
  1. EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06

25.0%
  2. PREMIER LTX

50.0%
  3. SCORPION VERDE ALL SEASON PLUS

25.0%
  1. mrnextel

mrnextel Member

City, State:
    PITTSBURGH
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    03 XLT/NBX 4.6
    Anyone else have more ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no advertisements, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. pingbling23

pingbling23 Active Member

2012 Explorer Limited 4x4
    After 2 years and over 20K miles, I would recommend these tires to anyone. Im so glad 182RG was wrong about the tire, ofcourse he did have factory non plus with the old tread on a different suv. After 2 winters, my wife says she hasn't felt the tires lose traction yet. They seem to be wearing well and no noticeable road noise to speak of. now any claims of better fuel mileage would be wrong with our experience. she has stayed steady at 20 mpg.

4. VinceL

VinceL Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Frisco, TX
    2013 Explorer Limited
    We ended up getting a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season PLUS tires to replace the OEM Hankooks. The scopions ride very nicely and are much quieter than the OEM tires were but all is not awesome in tireland. The main problem for the new tires is the fact that they have much worse grip than the originals. They howl in turns with little provocation and the engine easily overwhelms them when you put your foot into it at a stop. We got them based on reviews for winter traction and then had a warm winter! Overall, I preferred the original tires for handling and traction alone. With any luck the new tires will last another 35,000 miles to get us to the end of our extended warranty on the Ex and we can finally dump the thing. That should be about a year and half to two years from now and we find ourselves already getting excited at the prospects of getting out of this Ford and into something worthwhile.

5. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    5+ months between posts.:) Glad to see you're still around Vince.:thumbsup:

Peter

6. VinceL

VinceL Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Frisco, TX
    2013 Explorer Limited
    Peter my man, how have you been? I try not to think about the Explorer anymore, lol. I have basically washed my hands of it and my contact with it is limited to when we go somewhere together we end up driving it for convenience but she gets to worry about the rest. Worked out well so far. The thing has almost 89,000 trouble prone miles on it as of right now and by either the end of year six or 125,000 miles it is gone!

I hope you are well and your Lincoln is treating you well.

7. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
    WV
    2018 Explorer Base 2.3L E
    Tires are a very personal thing, and you will never get a consensus. But I had the Michelins on my'14, and they are also on my '16. They are just very good tires. If I had to pay for them myself I probably wouldn't get them, but id you have the $$$, then don't hesitate to put them on the EX.

8. Mildot

Mildot Active Member

2013 Explorer PI
    Do these come in P245 55R 18 size?
    And wheres a good source? can they be sourced through your FORD dealer?

Thanks

9. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3
    According to tirerack.com they do not come in that size. They do have 245/40ZR18 and 255/55ZR18. The latter would be the one to chose between the two sizes.

Peter

10. Mildot

Mildot Active Member

2013 Explorer PI
    Thanks bud, did a "quick" tire comparison and the difference in the dia is about .4", so the P255 would be very close. I"m guessing I wouldn't have any issues going up to the P255. The reviews sound great and the "price is right" compared to the Goodyear RSA'a or the Firestone Firehawk GT's.

11. mrnextel

mrnextel Member

City, State:
    PITTSBURGH
    03 XLT/NBX 4.6
    This is going to make some crazy, Michelin is offering 50% on my tread-wear warranty and i have to stay with the Michelin/BFGoodrich Line of products.

Im going extreme here and going to install the BFGoodrich All Terrain Ko2's. http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-selector/name/all-terrain-t-a-ko2-tires#

12. Mildot

Mildot Active Member

2013 Explorer PI
    Just a "heads up" troops, my dealer told me that Continental is coming out with a $65 pre paid credit/rebate for March 15th? That should cover some of the cost of the alignment, :) Cheers

13. WJGreer

WJGreer Member

City, State:
    Castle Pines, Colorado
    2004 XLT
    I've had those on a BMW 5 series and a Volvo XC70. Excellent tires, though the heavy Volvo ate through them in about 20,000 miles.

14. jrgoffin

jrgoffin Member

'14 Explorer Sport 401A
    Nice that the new DWS06 comes in 255/50-20. That has been a big limiting factor, so glad there are more tires in this size hitting the market. Continental makes a great tire - have the Extreme Contact DW on my '03 Cobra and love them, so I wouldn't hesitate to seriously consider these when the time comes.

15. Jimmy-B

Jimmy-B Active Member

City, State:
    Falls Church, VA
    2012 Explorer Limited
    Had the Yokohama Parada Spec-X installed a couple of months ago as the OEM Hankooks had very little life left and we were in line for some snow. 64k on the Hankooks, which is pretty good.

I shopped around a little and in the end the Yokohamas were such a good deal the choice was made for me. If they wear more quickly than the Hankooks I'm not overly concerned.

Initial impressions are that they're a little quieter, but that could just be me imagining things.

J

16. champco

champco Active Member

City, State:
    Minnesota
    2013 Explorer XLT
    I live in south Georgia so I have no need for winter tires. Famous last words.

Michelin baby for the highway. Been using them for 20 years now on 5 vehicles and will till I die.

17. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Active Member

City, State:
    Fort Mill, SC
    '07 E.Bauer & '14 XLT 4WD
    I ripped a hole in the sidewall of the original Hankooks at 37,000...ugh...Well, since it's basically AWD and the tires only had another 13k or so left. I didn't want to buy a new one only shave it down only to replace the whole set in the fall so I got a whole new set just a little earlier than I planned.

Being 200 miles out of town and riding on the stupid doughnut tire so I really didn't shop around. $1071 for a new set of four Michelin Premier LTX 255/50/20s. No complaints on the price of the new tires but I hate that Ford has gone to a doughnut tire for the Explorer platform. I've had Explorers with full sized spares for nearly 20 years and never needed to use the spare but when I had to it was the stupid toy tires...

I've always had Michelin LTX M/S tires on my Explorers and have gotten over 100,000 on every set so I'm basically a Michelin guy. I'm not expecting 100,000 miles but I'm hoping to get more than 50k.

The Michelin's are definately quieter than the Hankooks and do seem to handle better but I really haven't done anything but Interstate driving. But, I expected that. What I didn't expect is that the gas mileage is better. I was north of 20 mpg at 75 where the pervious tires were slightly less at those speeds. So far I'm happy with the new tires.

18. orangesoda123

orangesoda123 Active Member

2013 Explorer Xlt, 26k
    Glad to here the Michelin LTX's have been good to you. I'm looking at the Micchelin Defender LTX M/S which I believe replaced the LTX M/S. TireRack reviews look to be quite good for the new ones. Anyone else have any opinions on this tire?

[​IMG]

19. Alex_D

Alex_D New Member

City, State:
    Maryland
    2016 Ford Explorer Sport
    I almost went for the Pirelli Scorpion Verde, but after reading some of the comments, I decided to go for the Michelin Premier LTX instead. I believe they're cheaper too.

Last edited: March 24, 2016
  20. tangowhsky

tangowhsky New Member

2013 Explorer
    Can anybody chime in on a set of Toyo Proxes STII?

I had a set on a car and they were excellent.

21. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve II
    Callsign:
    VE3