Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Time to change hubs?

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by 239, September 12, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. 239

239 Active Member

City, State:
    Bonita Springs, FL
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 XLT, V6 OHV
    Hey everyone. I'm going to swap out my rotors and calipers this weekend since they're the originals and worn out. I was wondering what everyone's opinion is on changing the hubs while I'm in there. I had the bearings changed in them a couple of months ago but I think it might be time to just change the entire hub assembly since they're at 191,000 miles and 15 years old. Any advice?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Flash

Flash Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Brisbane Australia
    1997 Limited
  4. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    if you had bearings changes, it sounds like you have 2WD. there are no replaceable bearings in the 4WD/AWD hub assembly. if you do have 2WD, the hub is part of the rotor. change the rotor and you've changed the hub and bearing races. i'd probably install new bearings in a new hub as they're cheap enough. you'll also need inner bearing seals, cotter pins and hi-temp wheel bearing grease. there is a specific torque procedure for the spindle nuts. ask if you need help with that.

Last edited: September 12, 2014
  5. 239

239 Active Member

City, State:
    Bonita Springs, FL
    2000 XLT, V6 OHV
    It's 2WD. I thought the rotor slid onto the hub bolts and the hub assembly contains the bearing, abs sensor and tone ring?

6. koda2000

koda2000 Explorer Addict

x
    not on most Fords and not on your truck. the tone ring and lug studs are also part of the rotor. this makes the rotor quite expensive. BTW, the 4WD/AWD rotors have a separate hub and the rotor does slide onto the lug studs.

Last edited: September 12, 2014