Tires: michelin or kelly springfield for 02 explorer xlt | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tires: michelin or kelly springfield for 02 explorer xlt

I have 02 explorer xlt, awd with 4 wd. 43 k miles and looking to replace with:

1. kelly springfield safari suv tires
2. michelin ltx m/s tires
3. michelin cross terrain tires

Main driving is to/from work 40 miles daily in stop/go traffic. I do tow a 171/2 foot boot during spring, summer, fall. Looking to make sure the tires are pretty decent in rain, slush, snow.

I have read reviews in the tirerack on the michelins. The ltx received better reviews than the cross terrains. However, talking with one of the guys at local tire dealer, he mentioned that the ltx (he has them on his pickup) breaks loose in wet pavement when trying to get out in traffic. Anybody have this issue with these tires on their explorer? Are these pretty good in the snow?

I am leaning towards the ltx but would like to get more info from anyone on the kelly tires. They seem pretty good. Lot cheaper than the michelins.

any help appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have had these ties and I loved them, they pretty good in the snow. However I really didnt notice them them break loose on wet pavement.

I ran across 2 more selections:

Firestone destination le @ $390.00

Bridgestone deuler a/t revo @525.76 (costco)

Any opinions on these 2 ?

Costco puts nitrogen/air mix in their tires? is this good?

I "cheaped out" on a set of Kelly Safari AWR's and love'em. I had previously gone through a set of Goodyear Forteras (EXCELLENT TIRE), due to a bad (NO) alignment, and could not afford to invest another $600 in rubber. I'm in Buffalo and they handle very well in the weather here. If i could, i'd go back to the Goodyears, though. Nothing against the Kelly's, but the Fortera's were UBER quiet and good looking, too! The kelly's are by no means LOUD, but louder than the GYs

Michelins

Hi,
I've had many a mich. I'm also selling a set here in the classified section. The guy who said he could break them from the ground. Did you ask him what he had under the hood, and at what relation to the floor or under it was his gas peddal? Because these do really hold the road nice, and dont sound/ feel like your riding through a rock quarry when on smooth highway.
I previously had a Tbird 5.0 worked with a kenny bell blower, I dont care what tire was on it, I could make it a 1/4" thinner going down the block! I dont recomend it, tires really get too expensive, those were Perelli,P-Zero 255 45 17.
Keith

Thanks for the help. Stopped at a discount tire here. They measured depth of my tires. One had 4/32 left!! The other 3 went from 5 to 7/32. They called michelin, michelin said merry christmas :D and gave me 25% credit towards another set of michelins. I went with the michelin LTX m/s, $462 total for all 4 (mounted and balanced, with prorated road hazard). I think I will go with the $17 per tire additional road hazard where if the sidwall or if the tire cannot be repaired, etc..., I get new one free (no proration involved or having to call michelin).

Attila said:
Thanks for the help. Stopped at a discount tire here. They measured depth of my tires. One had 4/32 left!! The other 3 went from 5 to 7/32. They called michelin, michelin said merry christmas :D and gave me 25% credit towards another set of michelins. I went with the michelin LTX m/s, $462 total for all 4 (mounted and balanced, with prorated road hazard). I think I will go with the $17 per tire additional road hazard where if the sidwall or if the tire cannot be repaired, etc..., I get new one free (no proration involved or having to call michelin).

Most tire companies will get you a discount somehow if it means that you keep their tires on your truck. With my GY Forteras, and my horrible alignment & obvious wear pattern, i could also have gotten a 25% disc on new Forteras, but they still were too expensive at the time.

Back