What kind of motor oil do you use? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What kind of motor oil do you use?

The previous owner of my car ran conventional valvoline. As soon as I got it, I switched it to Mobil 1 Full Synthetic. Highly recommended.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend from Walmart...just like the manual says.

Has anyone used amsoil?

Castrol Edge in my 2005 explorer. I have considered switching to high milage oil but at 87000 miles I'm not sure I need to yet.

When I do my own oil changes (when it isn't convenient to go to the oil change place in town [like an hour away]) I usually use NAPA premium semi synthetic, 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer. I also get the cheap filters but I am pretty good about changing oil every 3k miles so I don't think it hurts anything.

Has anyone used amsoil?

There are more than a few that run it on here.. Those that run it also seem to run bypass filters and some do UOA so they can figure out when they really need to change the oil.

Aldive (RIP) was using it in his quest for 30mpg on his 2nd gen 2wd explorer.

~Mark

When I do my own oil changes (when it isn't convenient to go to the oil change place in town [like an hour away]) I usually use NAPA premium semi synthetic, 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer. I also get the cheap filters but I am pretty good about changing oil every 3k miles so I don't think it hurts anything.
Ditto, except I go one step further and use the NAPA's full synthetic when it's on sale. ($3.79 quart thru 11/16) Although there is no minimum mixture ratio requirement, semi-synthetics or "blends" usually contain no more than 30% full synthetic oil. According to the BobIsTheOilGuy (BITOG) web site, it's essentially the same as Valvoline's SynPower full synthetic with a slightly different additive pack. As for oil filters, most here will agree the OEM Motorcraft FL-820S is hard to beat for the price.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?N=0&Ntk=P_Promotion&Ntt=NAPAFullSynthetic

Motorcraft FL-820S Oil Filter Cutaway Comparison
http://www.ford-trucks.com/ford-manuals/Oil_Filter_Cutaway_Comparison.pdf

Ditto, except I go one step further and use the NAPA's full synthetic when it's on sale. ($3.79 quart thru 11/16) Although there is no minimum mixture ratio requirement, semi-synthetics or "blends" usually contain no more than 30% full synthetic oil. According to the BobIsTheOilGuy (BITOG) web site, it's essentially the same as Valvoline's SynPower full synthetic with a slightly different additive pack. As for oil filters, most here will agree the OEM Motorcraft FL-820S is hard to beat for the price.

Yea I don't use full synthetic because people tell me it isn't great for old engines that haven't run full synthetic ever/for a long time because it can open up small leaks plugged by whatever engine sludge might be there. I have considered trying a cycle of the full synth just to see if it would help or make things worse but meh.

Switching from Dino to Syn and having problems is an old wives tail. Synthetic oil does not cause leaks.

Switching from Dino to Syn and having problems is an old wives tail. Synthetic oil does not cause leaks.

Yea I've heard that as well which is why I figured might as well stay safe. Running semi synthetic won't hurt anything anyways as long as changes are kept up with.

Having just bought my first explorer, ( 02 v8 2wd 96k miles ) I'm considering Mobil 1 because I've used them in my past cars.
Thoughts?

Mobil one is among the best

In all the 15 yrs or so and well over 500k miles I've been doing my own maintenance -- I just buy what's on sale - correct viscosity -- and change at 4-5k
That ranges from the store brands to an occasional "platinum" grade oil.
I try to buy a "better than fram" filter, which is often Puro Classic, some MC, occasionally a store brand.
Lately, I've been picking up a case of TropArtic Syn Blend when it goes on sale at Orscheln for $1.99/qt.

I've never had a lube related problem or any significant internal engine problem.
Although I did blow the turbo on my old T-bird. Of course, at 283k and 18psi it was hardly a surprise.

So that wives tale about synthetic oil in engines that have run non synthetic for decades, might have some truth. I had an oil change at prompto (usually do it myself) and I'm pretty sure they used synthetic oil, and now my engine is leaking out of like everywhere... Valve cover seal on driver side leaks, lower engine pulley looks like it is leaking, engine/trans area looks like it has a leak, it's not the filter or the drain bolt like I had hoped.. so yea. Worth considering maybe? After 3k miles I lost a bit more than a quart of oil. Never had this issue before. If you guys don't want this cluttering up the thread, I can delete it (of sorts) but I just thought a semi-brief follow up to my comment earlier might be helpful. I'm not saying this is deffinitely the problem.

I usually use NAPA premium semi synthetic, 5w30 in winter and 10w30 in summer.
Did you purchase the $21.95 Basic Service?
Our Basic Service includes up to 5 quarts of either Gulfpride 5w30 synthetic blend or 10w30 conventional motor oil.

Other synthetic blend oils including Gulfpride 5w20 and Pennzoil Gold 5w30 are available at a higher price

http://www.promptooil.com/services.htm

It was the basic service with I think the synthetic 5w30 since it was starting to get cold so I figured 5w would be better. Does this make a difference? I am only 300 miles overdue for a change. Never had issues with my budget napa oil semi synth..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Very unlikely the cause of your leaks. Chances are, Promto used blended oil like the NAPA semi synthetic you were using. Mileage?

Back