Where are all the Virginia Explorers?? | Page 44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where are all the Virginia Explorers??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

disconnect the battery crawl under the truck take the 2 13mm bolts off the take the starter out remove the wires from it and install the new one in reverse order. takes 30 mins tops

well my starter went out on me i think. have power to lights etc. but wont start, jumping doesnt do anything. anyone know a place thatll charge the least for it?

What are the symptoms? Are you jut getting a click every time you turn the key to start? I would try to manually start your truck from the starter and see if it turns over from there. I have seen many trucks suffer from the corroded cable problem. The cable looks fine on the outside but inside its a mess. I chased my tale for hours before on that problem. Depending on where you live, you can go to the junkyard and pick one up cheap. Down here in VA Beach, you can go to U-pull-it and get one for probably 15 or 20 bucks.

im not really to knowledgeable with this stuff for changing it out myself
yea i hear a click when i turn the key and another when i turn it back off

someone i know said to tap it with a hammer while someone turns the key. cant try it tho as my mom refuses to help me if im hitting something with a hammer lol

Check your cables. Make sure all the battery connections on the battery are clean. Go to the auto parts store and get a terminal cleaner and clean the posts on the battery and the connectors on the cables. The only way to get good at all things mechanical is to just do it. I didnt know anything about explorers when I bought mine. Since then, Ive replaced the entire drive trane, rebuilt the transmission, pulled the old motor and retro fitted a motor out of a 2000 explorer installed dual batteries and an aussie locker in the front. This forum is the greatest resource for the explorer

where are you at in va beach?

I work all weekends and nights but anytime during the day mon-fri I would be down to check it out or swap it.just hook me up with some gas loot or something.I would hate for you to take it some where and charged a lot for a 5min job.I might even have an old starter laying around.

Yea I dbl on sat and sun.I have mon and teu off all day,as long as you get off before dark

josh, pos terminal is new, old one broke off. neg terminal was cleaned up when i got a new battery 2 months ago. i get power to accessories and all so the battery is working

jd, aragona area

I would replace that cable first. You can go to U-pull-it and get one for a few bucks. You can also take the starter to an auto parts store and they will test it. New, those starters are around 150.

josh, pos terminal is new, old one broke off. neg terminal was cleaned up when i got a new battery 2 months ago. i get power to accessories and all so the battery is working

jd, aragona area

I would replace that cable first. You can go to U-pull-it and get one for a few bucks. You can also take the starter to an auto parts store and they will test it. New, those starters are around 150. Just because you have power to your accessories doesnt mean everything is OK. The starter requires a lot of amps to turn the motor over.

wow I don't remember them being that much but it is a $99 new!!!! I'm going to check it out Monday for him if he doesn't get it fixed before then.

Yea thats how much mine was a few years ago. Auto zone has them in stock for 99 with a 30 dollar core charge. I would just go to the junkyard(U-pull-it) and get one. They have a 30 day warranty and are cheap. They usually have a bunch of explorers out there.

got it running again. thanks again jd

No problem man.I think I stole your hammer though,ill try and drop it off tomorrow sometime.o its was the starter that was bad if anyone was wondering.:salute:

come to think of it i believe you did lol
ill be around at the same time tomorrow or you could just leave it at the door whenever

if anyone wanted to see it, heres the busted starter. dirty as hell. was even worse
DSCN1274.jpg

:)

Hey you must of cleaned that thing up for the picture!! :) man I really forgot how low stock explorers are!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back