Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

the aluminum centre cap part No on the back is F87A-1A096-GB.
Here is a link to an ebay posting showing the more expensive cap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Ranger...Parts_Accessories&hash=item23301c2881&vxp=mtr

it can be distinguished by the channel intersecting the bolt circles,
compared to your caps . They both look fine

I checked those they are the old Crown Victoria caps not new Interceptor Utility caps.

Did you get them to fit your Interceptor steel wheels?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One concern I have, whether real or imagined, is the exposure of the brakes and their parts to the salt, sand and general grime on roads in the Winter. With most of these after market wheels, the brakes are wide open to all these elements. If you look at post #5 , the brakes (rotors, pads) and other associated parts are hardly visible and thus more protected.
Like I mentioned, I don't know if this is or should be a concern.:dunno:

Peter

Peter,

The way a mist develops I would predict everything is going to get salt, dirt etc on it regardless of design. The advantage would be to an open design in my mind as then I know I can get to the salt and crap and wash it off.

Peter,

The way a mist develops I would predict everything is going to get salt, dirt etc on it regardless of design. The advantage would be to an open design in my mind as then I know I can get to the salt and crap and wash it off.

I agree. If the road is wet everything gets 100% wet from the back side of the wheel. My open 5 spoke wheels are super easy to clean and clear of snow.

I checked those they are the old Crown Victoria caps not new Interceptor Utility caps.

Did you get them to fit your Interceptor steel wheels?

Yes they fit , there is an air gap but they look great, and the fit is very solid cheers g

Yes they fit , there is an air gap but they look great, and the fit is very solid cheers g

Thanks now I wont spend the money to get the new ones, I will get old ones and Plasticoat them black

Ford Interceptor 18" steel wheels
TPMS sensors
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT tires 245/60 18
Stock Sport lug nuts
Looking at chrome plastic center caps w/ the correct open ended lug nuts but trying to find best pricing ($66 ea for the caps and $6 ea for the lugs from local dealer)

I like the tires so far.
Great grip and feel in the RAIN! that we have been having last few days.
The tread feels more rigid/less squishy vs. previous snow tires I have had (Pirelli P-Zero Sotto's / Nokian WR G3's / Pirelli Winter 210's) but the tread blocks seem to have less siping vs. these other tires, too.
This may prove to be a disadvantage on icy roads but for 98% of the winter driving I do (rain / wet-standing water / slush / snow) I think these will be just fine.

20131226_154607_resized_zps41cf3ea4.jpg
[/URL]

Check out pages toward the end of this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=377496

The system uses input from the vehicle as well as the satellites. Changing tire size affects the Nav system on some but not all of the vehicles. Everyone who has reported the problem here has a 2013. I had the problem. Adjusting the tire size in the computer did not fix it. The solution was to disconnect the battery, and the system then recalibrated. I disconnected it for an hour, but I don't know how long is necessary.

In theory, the system may automatically recalibrate after 200 miles. Mine did not fix itself after more than 4000 miles last winter. You can also pull the fuse to the GPS, but it is a lot easier to get at the battery.

Thanks WiEx and Peter,

Fixed the navigation system on my 13 Explorer LTD. It re-adjusted to the 17" P245/65R17 winters simply by disconnecting the negative battery terminal and re-connecting it after 5 min.

I am also quite happy with 17" steel rims and P245/65R17 winter tires. I bought them from my Ford dealer with TPMS sensors. The tires and sensors were significantly cheaper than Canadian Tire, Tirerack, and Cal-tire.

Downsize from 20" to 18" (Mastercraft Courser MSR)

I have a 2012 LTD and plan on getting winter tires this year. Right now I have 20 inch tires. If I want to downsize the winter tires how low should I go? I was thinking 18 inch but I have seen people on here talking about 17 inch as well.

Winter Tire:Mastercraft Courser MSR
Size: 245/60R 18
Rim: 18x8 Enkei EKM3 (gun metal gray)
TPMS: VDO

After a few adventurous slides through intersections (SW Michigan), I purchased a set of winter tires and wheels at Belle Tire. Belle Tire installs them for free when I bring the other set. (I do give the mechanics a tip$$$ for keeping the car clean) The tires are like glue on the snow and ice. A little noisy on dry pavement.
I would upload a few photos if I knew how to. The rims match the slate gray color on the Ex perfectly. My finger fits between each lug in the tire.

Store the other set on the garage wall with a heavy duty tire rack from Jeggs.

Winter Tire:Mastercraft Courser MSR
Size: 245/60R 18
Rim: 18x8 Enkei EKM3 (gun metal gray)
TPMS: VDO

After a few adventurous slides through intersections (SW Michigan), I purchased a set of winter tires and wheels at Belle Tire. Belle Tire installs them for free when I bring the other set. (I do give the mechanics a tip$$$ for keeping the car clean) The tires are like glue on the snow and ice. A little noisy on dry pavement.
I would upload a few photos if I knew how to. The rims match the slate gray color on the Ex perfectly. My finger fits between each lug in the tire.

Store the other set on the garage wall with a heavy duty tire rack from Jeggs.
If you go to the New Member forum and check out the 'Sticky' section you will find your answer.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

Simplest way is to pay $20 for an Elite membership and you can upload right from your computer and help support the site.:thumbsup:

Peter

Winter Tire & Rim Reco's

All

Have a 2013 Explorer limited (early MY) and looking at a new Explorer soon. Wondered what winter tires and rims you are putting on your Explorers ? I had Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow on my 2010 Range Rover Sport and thought they were pretty good but interested in the input for the Expy.

Thanks all

WC

All

Have a 2013 Explorer limited (early MY) and looking at a new Explorer soon. Wondered what winter tires and rims you are putting on your Explorers ? I had Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow on my 2010 Range Rover Sport and thought they were pretty good but interested in the input for the Expy.

Thanks all

WC
As per my PM, I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same topic.

Peter

Don't suppose I can use my old tires from the RRS. Pirelli Scopion Ice & Snow with 275/40/r20 ? Only ever did about 150 miles on them so great tires

Thanks

WC

Don't suppose I can use my old tires from the RRS. Pirelli Scopion Ice & Snow with 275/40/r20 ? Only ever did about 150 miles on them so great tires

Thanks

WC
The recommended maximum diameter variance is 3% compared to the OEM. With the Pirelli tires the variance would be -4.59% so it would not be recommended.

Peter

Thanks Peter, guess I'll need to sell these, so little miles someone is going to get a great deal

I would use them, whats the down side the speedo is out for a few months.....for the cost of new tires dont bother.

Unless your looking at new steel winter rims with snows mounted permanently.

These 18" Blizzaks are great in cold weather but boy are they a little soft and deliver big time oversteer compared to OEM 20" Hankooks

I would use them, whats the down side the speedo is out for a few months.....for the cost of new tires dont bother.

Unless your looking at new steel winter rims with snows mounted permanently.

These 18" Blizzaks are great in cold weather but boy are they a little soft and deliver big time oversteer compared to OEM 20" Hankooks
I think that with it being a 2013, the navigation would also be out wouldn't it? It seems that changing tires sizes, even a little, is an issue with the 2013 and 2014 models for some reason. At least that is the impression I got reading the thread on Tracking issues.

Peter

Are there any 17" Interceptor wheels that will fit a Limited?
According to post 72, the wheels in the picture in post 58 are 17" wheels. The look identical to the 17" Base model steel wheels I'm using on my Limited for Winter in place of the OEM 20" wheels.

Peter

Are there any 17" Interceptor wheels that will fit a Limited?

No such thing as 17 " Interceptor wheels.

All Police wheels are 18 inch so they can be interchanged on large fleets.

The difference between the OEM Interceptor wheel and another OEM retail black steel wheel is the engineering.

The police wheels are designed for maximum brake cooling and ventilation. Check out the large holes vs the small ones on the 17in wheel.

They are also tested to survive multiple curb strikes at speed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No such thing as 17 " Interceptor wheels.

All Police wheels are 18 inch so they can be interchanged on large fleets.

The difference between the OEM Interceptor wheel and another OEM retail black steel wheel is the engineering.

The police wheels are designed for maximum brake cooling and ventilation. Check out the large holes vs the small ones on the 17in wheel.

They are also tested to survive multiple curb strikes at speed.
I guess the Interceptor in post 58 is using just the standard Base model 17" wheels then. They are the same as the ones I currently have on mine for Winter tires.

Peter

Back