Winter tires | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter tires

D

Deleted member 348855

I've never owned a Ford Explorer before but have always put winter tires on my vehicles. Some of the winters here can be mild but other times we can easily get a 4-10 inches of snow a few days in a row.

The ST all seasons will probably handle the light stuff but I have my doubts when there is a foot of snow on the ground. For those of you that are getting a 2020 and had a previous model, did you end up going with winter tires and rims or just stick with the all seasons?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had no issues with our 11 in snow.. being in NH, my wife had to go through 8-10" of snow up our driveway to get to the road many of times before I could get there to plow her out. 3z4" is nothing for the previous gen unless you were down to the last 1/3 of tread. We live in a state park and typically the last to get plowed out.

I am debating on getting a separate set of dedicated snows/rims though this time around in the 18" size. 21" with the low profiles is very questionable. Plus I hate to ruin these rims in the salt over time.

I've always gotten snow tires/rims for my cars so will do so with the Explorer. I agree with Blwnsmoke, 18" is a good size. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the police intercepter steelies for use as winter rims.

I've always gotten snow tires/rims for my cars so will do so with the Explorer. I agree with Blwnsmoke, 18" is a good size. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the police intercepter steelies for use as winter rims.

I may do the same this time around. Will look good with my Magnetic.

You can't beat dedicated Winter tires for cold weather driving and safety. Many think they are just for snow but that is wrong. Thus the name change to 'Winter' from 'Snow' tires. Because the rubber compound used in manufacturing is different, they remain more flexible and have a much better grip on bare cold roads. That is the part many people overlook. So-called all-season begin to lose grip at just 43 F. I have always used Winter tires on my Explorers and previous vehicles. As for using an 18" wheel, I'm hoping they will fit on the 2020 Explorer as my current Winter wheels/tires are 18". Many insurance companies also give you a premium discount for using them.

Peter

There was discussion I believe about the 19 rims fitting the 2020s. Does anyone know for sure.

The 19 PIU rims are DG1Z-1015-A and about $150 new plus the center cap. I don't have a 2020 part catalog yet so can't verify if it is the same part #.

@Sgt1411 - any insight on this?

Sorry. Another senior's moment. I thought that was 19" instead of 19 MY.:confused: I'm hoping that someone will have tried an 18" before I have to make a decision my self.

Peter

Sorry. Another senior's moment. I thought that was 19" instead of 19 MY.:confused:

Lol, no worries, I can see how it could be taken either way.

Peter, I am not sure winter tires are superior in all winter conditions. Check out this Car and Driver comparison test of 4 Michelin tires of various types. The winter tires lagged in wet/dry performance in the cold.

2009 Winter Tire Test

Bottom line, winter tires are a trade off. But are you more likely to get into an accident on dry pavement or when the roads are snowy and treacherous?

Tire technology has changed quite a bit in 10 years.

Peter, I am not sure winter tires are superior in all winter conditions. Check out this Car and Driver comparison test of 4 Michelin tires of various types. The winter tires lagged in wet/dry performance in the cold.

2009 Winter Tire Test

Bottom line, winter tires are a trade off. But are you more likely to get into an accident on dry pavement or when the roads are snowy and treacherous?
That test is very much not relevant today. You can certainly have a trade off between different winter tires (dry vs snow handling, for example), but they'll beat an all season all day.

You can't beat dedicated Winter tires for cold weather driving and safety. Many think they are just for snow but that is wrong. Thus the name change to 'Winter' from 'Snow' tires. Because the rubber compound used in manufacturing is different, they remain more flexible and have a much better grip on bare cold roads. That is the part many people overlook. So-called all-season begin to lose grip at just 43 F. I have always used Winter tires on my Explorers and previous vehicles. As for using an 18" wheel, I'm hoping they will fit on the 2020 Explorer as my current Winter wheels/tires are 18". Many insurance companies also give you a premium discount for using them.

Peter

Completely agree with you here as that is why I have always gotten winter tires. I only ran my Honda CR-V winters through 1 winter (yes getting rid of it just after a year of ownership) so I hoped they would fit but I have my doubts. The 2020 PIU is running 18's with 255/60 tires, the Honda set I have are 17's with 235/65, doubt the rims will clear the brakes. If they don't I'll see if the dealer can get me a set of PIU rims, now to decide what the best winter tires are for a sport SUV. The Michelin X-Ice 2's were decent on the Honda but didn't have as much grip as I am use to with the Blizzaks I'm running on a Mazda 3.

@Sgt1411

Do you know if the piu rims from the 5th gen fit the 2020?

If you buy nice wheels just for Winter tires, keep the outer finish clean as much as possible. The salt will hurt the clear coat quickly versus normal no salt conditions. I have a fifth Limited wheel I put a tire on for rotating all of them. After a few years I noticed the clear of the one left under the truck had corrosion lines on it(I hadn't rotated it as much as planned). Now the others look a bit rough too after 12 years, no harm for my work truck, but a nicer truck you wouldn't want that.

No worries about that with the PIU wheels Don. They are 18" steel black wheels. I've had mine for 5 Winters now and just a hint of rust starting to show. The chrome center caps are in great shape.

Peter

I like PI wheels, my first Crown Vic was an 86 with the simple 15x6.5" steels, and the big hubcaps. I'd like to build a Ford mail truck from a used up FFV, and put the older 16" steel PI wheels on that. I use 12.75" rotors, which is what limits the wheel size. I am amazed at how large the newer wheels and rotors have gotten. Long ago those were not imagined because of what they'd weigh. Now everything has 19" or bigger wheels.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So myself, like many other ST owners, got the ST pack for their Explorer. With the upgraded brake setup on these - would an 18" Rim even fit? There is room to definitely step down to a 20" or even a 19" but had some doubts on 18". If the PIU's come with 18 then that positively answers the question on that, but I have not found any definitive answers.

Back