Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ST EXPLORER
ST.
Would you upgrade to 2.11

i have the 2.4 software and really have not had any major issues. The only issues i have is the follwing
1. When using usb to play music its starts to skip after awhile
2.slow reactions
please advise me !!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not from what I've read. Sounds like you have only minor issues, much like me. I'm on 2.8 and most of my issues are avoided by doing a full system restore every weekend. Takes about 15 minutes and keeps things running relatively smoothly. Sorta like a nice enema.

Not sure I'd risk an update at this point, unless it had something substantial to offer, which from all reports 2.11 doesn't. Shocker, I know.

I started off at 2.8..had a few glitches & the same with the "garbled" music through usb(very seldom but it happens).
I have an appointment for 8/2....I figure I can cancel if I choose not to get it done because of others reviews.

Feb build date running 2.4 only very minor issues, reluctant to jump on 2.11 given that systems seems fairly stable and 2.11 isn't all that it was promised to be as people are still having problems.

Same here i have a 2/21/11 built date and have minor issue's and i'm very skeptical on the 2.11 upgrade and like the saying says if it's not broken why fix it !!! So i'm going to leave mine's alone. Thanks jackey and all for your convincing messages!!

Because of Ford's policy of "one free software update in 2011", I'm waiting until December and updating to whatever version is out then.

No such thing has one free upgrade when they are having so many issues, they are not looking for a class action lawsuit like the one they are not too far from !!! Does microsoft give you one free upgrade no they are always sending new patches to the software. So this is a microsoft program so they have to fix it and fix it for free. So don't let anyone say diffirent ok !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm running V2.4 and everything is running fine. Minor glitches caused by other devices and earlier APIM issues. I'll wait until like a 3.0 update or something. Something that will add new functions by December.

I was in the same boat. I upgraded to 2.11 Works great. Very fast. Also just got a thing in the mail to extend my Sirius radio by 5 months for 20 bucks. 4 bucks a month. Yehaw.

Going in to get the upgrade this morning....fingers crossed! Will report back this eve!

I have 2.4 as well. Not sure of my build date, but purchased my car off the lot in Feb. I'm leaning towards not upgrading right now since everything is running fine (except the clock is occasionally wonky).

Also just got a thing in the mail to extend my Sirius radio by 5 months for 20 bucks. 4 bucks a month. Yehaw.
My Sirius expires Aug. 11, and I've been hoping they send me something like this, Chimoman!

Would you upgrade to 2.11
1. When using usb to play music its starts to skip after awhile
2.slow reactions
please advise me !!!

I can tell you for a fact I had both of these issues in 2.4 and both are resolved in 2.11. however it now crashes slightly more often (though no pulling a refuse, auto-rebooted each time). The music playing was important for me, and 2.11 did resolve the skipping, I've now gone back to using a USB stick (whereas I had to use my iPod before)

I was in the same boat. I upgraded to 2.11 Works great. Very fast. Also just got a thing in the mail to extend my Sirius radio by 5 months for 20 bucks. 4 bucks a month. Yehaw.

Got an E-mail from Sirius last night!
12 months for the price of 6!
plus re-activate for free.
Usually a 15 dollar charge.
I guess you have to let it expire to get the good deals!
I never got a 5 months for 20 dollars offer. Just asked if I wanted to renew and I said no, not for 12.95 amonth. Was told ok, have a good day!

Upgraded this morning. I don't have a lot of time in on the new version 2.11 but it is faster is all I can say right now. Coming from 2.8. It certainly is not like lightning but a noticeable difference. At first I didn't think so but when I stopped and started the car at home and went for a ride I could see the screens did change faster than 2.8 did.

For the record, I have a storm2 (which sucks) and do not use external plug ins for songs...just use CD or Sirius radio.

Will know more in a couple days...off next week on vacation and will be driving more. So no it is not a major upgrade as they said it would be but there is improvement.

I did the upgrade and I am kind of sorry I did. I had 2.8 and it was working just fine until I went in for the first oil change. The screen froze and they said it needed to be reprogrammed. It ended up righting itself on it's own but since I had the appt I decided to have it done anyway. I think it is a bit less responsive and the sound is not as clear. I don't know if it is my imagination but the "s" sounds are very slushy on all sounds from all sources. I don't know if it is my imagination that it just started occurring now but I don't think it is. I wish I had just stuck with the 2.8.

I did the upgrade and I am kind of sorry I did. I had 2.8 and it was working just fine until I went in for the first oil change. The screen froze and they said it needed to be reprogrammed. It ended up righting itself on it's own but since I had the appt I decided to have it done anyway. I think it is a bit less responsive and the sound is not as clear. I don't know if it is my imagination but the "s" sounds are very slushy on all sounds from all sources. I don't know if it is my imagination that it just started occurring now but I don't think it is. I wish I had just stuck with the 2.8.

After reading user comments about V2.11 I will keep my V2.8. Have had some issue, but was able to resolve them without doing a master reset or pull the fuse/power. Response time is adequate. Like any computer, anything that adds to the amount memory used in the system will slow down the time it takes to process a command. If you want to speed up a computer, increasing size of memory is always good.

Can the memory in the MFT or SYNC be upgraded? This would be a great modification to look into after the warranty has expired.

I am waiting for the programmers to resolve 90% of the issues before I install a newer version. I can live with 10% if I can correct the issues without a master reset or pulling the power. 100% error free software would be great but Microsoft, Apple, etc can't even provide that. Like Microsoft, Apple, etc. would be great if Ford could download software patches to fix problems.

I went from 2.4 to 2.7 and recently to 2.11. Relatively minor issues, but on vacation with 2.7 one day the Nav Card would not recognize and another the radio would not turn on. Basically I would not schedule an appointment just to update the Software, but will do it combined with other fixes. Hopefully, I am done with the first year flaws. (Two times for a loose steering wheel, two for A-pilllar, One for battery replacement and rear gate alignment.) The good news is I now know the service manager by name and they treat me very well. I would still buy this vehicle without hesitation.

I did 2.11 last week, and I've got to say I can't tell much of a difference.
The radio/source "browse" button now loads in 15-seconds, instead of
2-hours. Maybe I was expecting too much, but thought I would be dazzled by instantaneous screen changes and all the POI's of a $80 Garmin.
But I still love this car. Go figure.

Because of Ford's policy of "one free software update in 2011", I'm waiting until December and updating to whatever version is out then.

I am not aware of this policy, sounds like a lazy dealer trying to not do the right thing. All you have to do is tell them that there is a problem, and with the current state of MFT you wouldn't even have to lie.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am not aware of this policy, sounds like a lazy dealer trying to not do the right thing. All you have to do is tell them that there is a problem, and with the current state of MFT you wouldn't even have to lie.
I believe the statement of 1 free upgrade/year is correct.

Back