• Register Today It's free!

My explorer

kiddox88

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
this is probably the wrong place for me to post this, but i have a 94 xlt, it's stock, and i don't plan on putting any mods onto it, but i was wondering about the whole off-roading thing, and can i pull it off with just my standard tires and low range?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yep. put some sliders on it and youd be able to do even more :)

I wheeled a near stock explorer for a couple years...did fine for mild stuff

What kind of terrain are you going to be trying? You might actually be surprised how well it will do. If you pick the right lines, it will make it up pretty decent obstacles.

Welcome to the site. Search around and you will find just about everything you want/need to know about your truck. :thumbsup:

It depends on what you mean by offroading. If you want to go ride dirt roads that rarely get scraped, play in fields, climb some small hills, then yes. A stock Explorer is quite capable compared to most of the SUVs on the market. If you want to go on unimproved trails and rock crawling you'll need some mods. When I was in high school I could follow one of my friends who had a full size bronco (91 I think) on 33's anywhere he went in my stock X...granted he wasn't a very good driver...lol.

well to add to his question i have been seeing this mudd hole ppl around drive trough its about a foot deep mudd but not to wide or long im afraid to get stuck you thing explorer can pull it off stock with 31x10.50s

adam45356 said:
well to add to his question i have been seeing this mudd hole ppl around drive trough its about a foot deep mudd but not to wide or long im afraid to get stuck you thing explorer can pull it off stock with 31x10.50s
Only 1 way to find out ;)

But before you take a stock explorer into anything wet you should install longer breather lines on the axles as well as get rid of the stock air boxes snorkel located right behind the front bumper.. Other wise you can can water in our axels and possible hydro-lock your engine by sucking in water..

just stay on the gas consistently, even if you feel you are boggin down, stay consistent, if it starts to get stuck, even the slightest bit, gas it, but not too hard. if that quickly results in nothing, well your stuck. others might disagree with this advice, but it works for me. dont panic, and dont overdue your judgements. try the worst that will happen is you get stuck. if you go have someone there that can pull you out, and go with a tow strap already hooked up.i made that mistake of not doing that while playin in the mud:

100_0717.jpg

and that sucked! i had to walk around in that and got really muddy, thank god i dont have any carpet.

i remember that day...good times huh. but you know what they say, if its your truck thats stuck, you gotta take the plunge.

97 v8 your from lima right up the road from where i live is there any place to go wheeling that a stock vehicle could handale thats legal around here

There is some that you can do, but its always best to bring a friend. You will need (and these are cheap): a tow strap, small shovel, cell phone, and a drivers license that says your 21* (to be used to buy beer for your buddies should they have to pull you out.).

*only to be purchased and consumed by those of legal age, in a safe location with no driving. No MIP's or DUI's allowed*

adam45356 said:
97 v8 your from lima right up the road from where i live is there any place to go wheeling that a stock vehicle could handale thats legal around here

ha i wish. regretfully there is no place i know of. There is demand for a park for wheeling but no one wants to do it :( . I just went to the badlands. I went there when i was stock, and my mounty did great.

^^ there is a place in wellsville....but for whelling over in the east side of the state it is private property that i get permission to go on. That and accsess drives with big ass puddles........i find stock explorers can make it through alot.....just dont stop moving i made that mistake and i got burreid up to my rear fenders in mud(i got a tow truck to get me out)....and it was all becasue i slowed down( i had to to get back on the road).

Edit: evreything tech...you dont look very stuck...what did it look like from the other side?

Back