Front sway bars | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front sway bars

Steeda, if it is the stock bushing it is either a 15mm or 18mm.

Can someone verify the exact size? These are stock end links and I need to go out and purchase the correct socket. Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Steeda, I'm pretty sure it is 15mm. The best way to check is to try putting a 5/8 socket on the bottom and see how loose the 5/8 socket is.

The 5/8 will be just a little bigger if it is a 15mm. If it is an 18mm the 5/8 will not fit over it at all.

I never did it myself.....so.....

How about.......IF, you first, lift the vehicle and support it.

NOW, remove the entire frt sway bar assembly.

Take off/replace all of the center bushings.....just leave the new ones on the bar for now.

Then, do the two outer ends first......replacements w/ new parts.....bolt them down just enough so they won't pop off.

After that.....do the middle bushings. You may have to use a floor jack to muscle the sway bar (stabilizer bar) into position......then bolt the middle bushings down.

Then go back and tighten down the two ends.

I forgot to mention proper torque.........look for your answers in the Haynes Manual. While you're there......review your plan.......or mine.......BE SAFE.

Aloha, Mark

AH, well.. i got it to fit, turns out i had the bushings facing the wrong way.. this job took like and hour with the mess up, so i imaine it should take about 10-20 minutes it you do it correctly i would recomend getting these swaybar links, they make an vast improvement in handling.

Thanks for all your help Dan

Glad I could help you out.:)

Dan is the man!
Can you imagine him holding a wrench?

Attachments

• bunny.jpg
    bunny.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 154

I wondered when that waskaly wabbit was going to show up:D :D :D

Sushhhhh.....I'm huntin' wabbit.....aaaaaaa.......

Aloha, Mark

Back