Finally top and bottom HID's installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally top and bottom HID's installed

playtilithrtz

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I bought 3 sets of HID's a like 5-6 months ago, and one of the ballasts was bad. 2 sets where for me and the other set was for my g/f. And after about 4 months I finally deceided to send the damn ballast to get exchanged. It took them about a month to exchange it, and well I got it on Friday and installed them on Saturday.

BTW installing the HID's on headlights was pretty easy, but installing the HID's on the FOG what a PITA. No where to mount the ballast, the wires are short if you want to locate the ballast in the engine bay. Just a pain. I also wished that i had like a ramp or my jack stands cause it would of made it a little easier trying to get both my arms in there trying to tie everything up.

Well here are some pictures of what she looks like at night.
IMG_0593.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:( is it me or are they slightly different color?
either way looks nice!

BTW next time let me know! i'll let you borrow my ramps and/or jack and jack stands:thumbsup:

one word... BRIGHT... haha nice work and looks good:thumbsup:

yea they do look like different colors, but i took the ballest to my head light and hooked it up with the fogs, and its the same thing. I believe its the houseing that changes the color slightly.

btw i have ramps and jack/jackstands but at my house not at my aptment.

and yes very bright..... I love it

What color temp are those?

Just coming back from a 2000 km round trip with my new 6500k's. I think I'm going to order 5000k bulbs because they're just too blue for me. I don't want to stand out too much - still not sure how legal these things are over here.
Anyway, after driving a lot in dark: they are very bright. It's a good thing and a bad thing. I see EVERYTHING but then when I raise my eyes out from the beam into the dark horizon the contrast is so high, it takes a couple seconds for my eyes to adjust. It's like switching between daylight and night in an instant. Whereas if I'm driving with halogens my eyes just get used to the dim lightbeam and have no problem.

I'm not b****ing, HIDs are awesome! I just wish someone made projector headlights for the X.

my HIDS are 8000k, yea they are a lil blue, but its okay, im not going to go throught th trouble and buy new ones. I like them, they blind the **** out of people and they move out of my way. Overall im happy.

hey play ur x looks awesome i am thinking of getting a pair of 8000K HIDs on my 01 sport.

I also am thinking of getting 3000K Yellow Fogs for my 01 sport.

What color temp are those?

Just coming back from a 2000 km round trip with my new 6500k's. I think I'm going to order 5000k bulbs because they're just too blue for me. I don't want to stand out too much - still not sure how legal these things are over here.
Anyway, after driving a lot in dark: they are very bright. It's a good thing and a bad thing. I see EVERYTHING but then when I raise my eyes out from the beam into the dark horizon the contrast is so high, it takes a couple seconds for my eyes to adjust. It's like switching between daylight and night in an instant. Whereas if I'm driving with halogens my eyes just get used to the dim lightbeam and have no problem.

I'm not b****ing, HIDs are awesome! I just wish someone made projector headlights for the X.

a decently bright light for not too much money is a silverstar... just a suggestion but im sure ud rather go with ultra white color HIDs... the silverstar is quite white and the temp is around 4000k but also kno that this is a regular halogen bulb with a filament, so color temp isnt a huge factor as it is in HIDs

Looks good.

Looks great. First day I bought my explorer I ordered 6000K HID kit (6006 low beam and 6005 high beam) for mine. once you have white light, yellow (stock) is just so disappointing. Should have mine installed on the weekend (time permitting - also have some 6.5" splits to go in, and a couple of headrest monitors for the kenwood DVD player that is already installed).

Got the HIDs installed. The shots below also show the stock driving lights as a contrast of white/yellow light.

Low beam
5-Lights_Low_HID_med.jpg

High beam
6-Lights_High_HID-med.jpg

look good man.... i swear by HID's. I ove the brightness, and the blinding of other drivers lol.

look good man.... i swear by HID's. I ove the brightness, and the blinding of other drivers lol.
Yep, I love the brightness too, but have aimed the headlights down a bit so I don't blind oncoming drivers. Wouldn't want them to end up hitting me head-on because they can't see.

Hey JCUZ,
When you switch on the high beams, do those HIDs take much time to warm up, or do they go straight to full power? All the HIDs on cars around here usually have halogen highs.

I was wondering where I get these HID kit from and How much>?

Thanks

Eric

I got mine from ebay for around AUD$99 (USD$85). Just do a search on HID kit 9005 and 9006.

which lit would be better? Or did you get...

Eric

These lights will also work on a 2002 Mountaineer, right?

I'd love to get a set for mine, they look great on these trucks!

which kit would be better? Or did you get...

Eric

I got the following kit:

HID XENON CONVERSION KIT LEXUS SC430 GS300 9006 6000K
and
HID XENON CONVERSION KIT BULBS +BALLASTS 9005 6000K NEW

Ignore that it says lexus or anything like that - these kits plug into the factory wiring harness etc, so no re-wiring required (which I was prepared to do if required). You don't even need a relay to run these ones as they are separate low and high beams - not sure about older models, ie pre-2002, but certainly for UX or UZ model Explorers, plus the similar mounties etc, you get everything you need in the kit.

In terms of "colour" the 6000k kit is the whitest light - the lower the number (say 3000k), the ywllkower the light (great for "fog" lights), and the higher the number (say 8000 or 10000k), the bluer/purpler the light, which actually makes them less effective, but they like kind of cool. The 6000k white light is the best compromise for overall lighting effectiveness, as well as looking great.

To check which kit type you need for your make year and model of car/truck/SUV etc, click on the following link:
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/LampReplacementGuide/
This will give you the bulb type for your car (eg H1, H4, H3, H7, 9005, 9006, etc)

The ebay store I got mine from is:
http://myworld.ebay.com.au/diane-shop/ - very good service, and fast postage (at least to Australia), and the best price on ebay. I bought a "name brand" set of HIDs for one of my other cars, and to me, it appears that the cheap ebay kits are actually manufactured in the same factory as the 3-times-the-price name brand (Phillips). The labels and instructions are almost identical.

On another of my cars, I have got the Bi-xenon H4 kits which come with the required relays etc, but not sure if older Explorers ever had the H4 Hi/Low single globes, though I guess they would have.

One last thing, just so I don't "dazzle" other drivers (or fall foul of the law), I have adjusted my low beam headlights so that they dip down a bit further than they did with the standard globes in - but given that the HID kit makes about 3X better light than standard, this is not a problem. I have never been flashed for dazzling any oncoming traffic - the odd idiot starts slowing down when I come up behind them, presumably thinking I have my high beam on, so a quick flash of the high beams normally sees them moving back to the speed they were at, once they realise they are my low beams - just that they are good! I left the high beams where they were (and they are great - take about 10 to 20 seconds to "warm up", but once they're on, they are fantastic).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

These lights will also work on a 2002 Mountaineer, right?

I'd love to get a set for mine, they look great on these trucks!

See my extensive post above - I do believe they would be suitable for your truck.

Back