98 AWD, front end turning noise | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

98 AWD, front end turning noise

I'd be worried about crap getting into the bearings since the sensor was removed.

IMO front hub bearings are one of those parts you should never get from a salvage yard.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gavin, it's the correct hub.. I looked at the specs on the vehicle and I see where the sensor once was.
Jt, Thanks... I was worried they might have broke something.
Dan, Usually I would agree but money is very tight and this came off a 99 Explorer with 21K miles on it.. I couldn't pass it up. [Also, It was recently pulled... it's clean where the sensor was... I doubt anything got in it.]

well I'll be... I never realized the abs wire/sensor was just bolted onto the hub.

guess I never paid enough attention to that.

Replaced hub assembly. I heard like 3 clunks while driving around afterward. [and a shaky steering wheel at highway speeds] But haven't heard it since. I think my CV is going.. but it stopped clunking. Everything is good. Any ideas? It's fine right now. But what was that?

99% of the time the clunking is the cv-joint on the front d-shaft.

I've been through 3 front d-shafts (junkyard models) in a few years.
I personally never had any clunks when any of my hub assy's went bad.

I'd be worried about crap getting into the bearings since the sensor was removed.

IMO front hub bearings are one of those parts you should never get from a salvage yard.

I installed a used front hub with 40k on it and it's been fine. :D

Alright, so I'm going to conclude that it's the CV...... god dammit... ok ok...uhm.. so how much of a pita is it to change that?.......................................................

How much do they go for? I swear to god, every month... this thing just doesn't want to be lifted or something... wtf next?! bad ball joint?!?k.jhgd,xjfzkhdfkdj

okok so uh yea.... any info on replacement of the cv would be apreciated..

have you tried remove the front driveshaft to see if noise continues?

the front d-shaft is a very very very common culprit. MUCH more common than a bad cv-joint in a half-shaft.
But I don't believe you've ruled that out yet, have you?

True this

However-I caution that if the front shaft is removed and the noise goes away-it "could" still be a front cv axle, as the drive stress has been removed from it.

Also-not to throw a wrench in, but you did use a used hub--

True this

However-I caution that if the front shaft is removed and the noise goes away-it "could" still be a front cv axle, as the drive stress has been removed from it.

Also-not to throw a wrench in, but you did use a used hub--

this is true, yes, as my truck has something wrong in the diff that only appears when the front d-shaft is installed.

But... the original half-shafts on my truck, had ~150k miles on 'em, with around ~30-40k with a TT, and the only reason I replaced 'em was due to the boots being ripped. Never a sound out of 'em. And I've always heard/read that when the cv's in the half-shafts are going bad, they "click" not "clunk." Although, never having experienced a bad half-shaft myself, I can only go by what I've read/heard.

Depending on the actual volume of the "clunk" that's being heard, I would doubt it to be the hub. I've been through about 2-3 hub assy's per side (damn out-of-round rims) and never any noises.

I'm still putting my money on the cv-joint on the d-shaft. Especially sicne I went through 3 of 'em in a few years, and know that "clunk" very well.

I forgot to mention, it only clunks when I put some load on it.. Like if I press on the gas... it'll shake or vibrate a little bit, and if I give it more gas.... Clunk... so it has to be the cv... it's from the passenger side... I'm pretty sure it's the cv... Uhh.. Yeah...

do you know how much easier it is to remove the d-shaft to see if that changes anything?

sounds exactly like when my d-shaft's cv joints went bad. all 3 times.
started as a slight clunk/vibe.
few hundred miles later, turned in to constant clunk regardless of speed.
all 3 times.

question... have you done a torsion twist? does it do it when going straight?
If you have not tightened the torsion bars, and it does it when going straight, you do know that the half shafts will be damn near 0* between both CV's, right? a cv will VERY rarely "clunk" when the CV's are pretty much doing nothing at all.

No TT yet... uh... straight driving... I'll give it a little gas... vibrate... vibrate... give it more gas.... it gets more aggressive until it clunks once or twice n then I can do whatever....

How would I go about disconnecting the front dshaft?

And how would that help me find out if it's the cv or something else because it only happens when I give it power..

there's 6 bolts holding the shaft to the t-case; need 5/16" socket to remove those.
At the diff, there's 2 u-bolt straps, held onto the output with 2 bolts ea, also 5/16" socket.
Remove 'em, remove d-shaft.
Drive it around a couple miles.
If you really wanted, and had access to a grease gun with a needle-point, at the bottom of the d-shaft where it bolts to the t-case, in the cv "cup" there should be a tiny hole. You can put some grease in there.
Or, it's possible the shaft has the cup that's removeable (I had 1 shaft where the "cup" would come right off, 2 that didn't come off). If the cup comes off, you can inspect the CV itself. Chances are all the grease is dry, and the "clunking" is coming from the cv-joint because it's binding up due to lack of lubrication.

The front driveshaft runs about a ~5* angle from t-case to differential.
Halfshafts run a maybe ~1* angle from diff to wheel.

If you remove the shaft, you should also inspect the rubber boot for damage. Because if there's any slight rips, tears, etc, chances are water and other road grime got in there, and grease came out, wearing out the ball bearings.

Just did another new one today on Bryan's Mounty

shaft and grease gun

Attachments

• shaft and grease gun.jpg
    shaft and grease gun.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 195

The inside of the cv boot should look solid-like this, and have no back and forth movement or play

Attachments

• cv end.jpg
    cv end.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 213

Use a needle fitting-like this, to get grease into this hole, Pump slowly and gentle, as it is easy to blow the needle out. Patience here-I had to pump this one 24 times

Attachments

• needle fitting.jpg
    needle fitting.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 192
  • cv grease hole.jpg
    cv grease hole.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 187

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back