3rd generation Bumper registry | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

3rd generation Bumper registry

Alright! You guys are great! :) I'm going to get a set of low watt lights and make a trip to Outlaw Offroad - maybe we'll do something about that front bumper... hmm.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hemlsa those links are great. They bring up a good point NEVER EVER hook directly into your reverse wire without a relay, and fuse. My Aux light only use the reverse light wire to activate a relay they don't provide power to the lights themselves. That power comes directly from a hot lead connected to the battery. 12 guage wire, 20 amp fuse, 2 100w lights.

hemlsa those links are great. They bring up a good point NEVER EVER hook directly into your reverse wire without a relay, and fuse. My Aux light only use the reverse light wire to activate a relay they don't provide power to the lights themselves. That power comes directly from a hot lead connected to the battery. 12 guage wire, 20 amp fuse, 2 100w lights.

While I was reading those, I was coming up with a very complicated idea. I grew up in the woods and on a farm, and I really like the idea of the aux. reverse lights being tied into the parking lights (who needs them during the day?), but coming from where I do, I would want a two-way swith (on/off/on) that bypasses both the reverse and parking light system for several reasons. Getting that little bit of light to get around the camp site in the morning, or working around the trailer (hooking up or dropping off) in the dark.

So if anybody is really good at wiring diagrams, I would be interested in getting one that does what I have described above.

thats exactly what i have minus the switch. However like i said before i didn't do the wiring so i have no idea how to do it.

I really like your idea for the switch.

Plates are being fabricated for the gap under the bumper... diamond steel plate trim w/a solid metal(?) mesh. The reverse lights will be done somehow today, as well as additional lights. The bumper is holding up well, but the plastic half bumper needs more support underneath.

(For those who live in OC, Outlaw Offroad has moved. They are on Burbank Rd, but 411 kept saying they move to Burbank [another city in the Valley]. I'll be back with the light picks in a few hours... nice collaboration guys! :)

While I was reading those, I was coming up with a very complicated idea. I grew up in the woods and on a farm, and I really like the idea of the aux. reverse lights being tied into the parking lights (who needs them during the day?), but coming from where I do, I would want a two-way swith (on/off/on) that bypasses both the reverse and parking light system for several reasons. Getting that little bit of light to get around the camp site in the morning, or working around the trailer (hooking up or dropping off) in the dark.

So if anybody is really good at wiring diagrams, I would be interested in getting one that does what I have described above.

This would be fairly easy to accomplish. Just picture the relay being a "signal" to switch on the flow of power to come to the aux backup lights. This takes a very small amount of voltage and the signal to turn on the relay can come from multiple places.

If I understand you correctly, (and someone please correct me if you cannot do this), you can run 2 seperate wires into your relay, one from a switch and one from your reverse lamps. This would accomplish your aux reverse lamps coming on either if you
1) put your truck in revers
or
2) hit the switch.

Also, you can run one switch to multiple relays, I have done this on my truck because I ran 2 sperate wires to my front driving lights (I had plenty of wire so why not). Therefore I flip one switch, it triggers 2 relays and each of my 130 watt front driving lights in connected to it's own fuse. Therefore if I blow a fuse I still have the other light working. More importantly, I laid in cable for future growth and can easily wire a second switch if I ever switched to 4 lamps on my front bumper.

Attachments

• dual feed wiring diagram.JPG
    dual feed wiring diagram.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 773

I checked out their website the other day, tell them to put some pictures of your explorer up there! ;) So far they just have a bunch of F150s with leveling kits.

I love how your truck is turning out, i really like that bumper and am tempted to try and hav e it adapted to my mountaineer some day, or at least have one made similar to that design.

Thanks!

I checked out their website the other day, tell them to put some pictures of your explorer up there! ;) So far they just have a bunch of F150s with leveling kits.

I love how your truck is turning out, i really like that bumper and am tempted to try and hav e it adapted to my mountaineer some day, or at least have one made similar to that design.

I'm hoping they will put a pics of the 1st gens and some of the rock crawling shots here (people need to see these things) :D Photos would have to be submitted by the appropriate persons, but it could be done...

The thing that gets me is they say this make or that make is for xjjjeep or the other, when all they have to do is sell extra brackets and it becomes any vehicle's bumper ;)

That's it! I'll try it...

This would be fairly easy to accomplish. Just picture the relay being a "signal" to switch on the flow of power to come to the aux backup lights. This takes a very small amount of voltage and the signal to turn on the relay can come from multiple places.

If I understand you correctly, (and someone please correct me if you cannot do this), you can run 2 seperate wires into your relay, one from a switch and one from your reverse lamps. This would accomplish your aux reverse lamps coming on either if you
1) put your truck in revers
or
2) hit the switch.

Also, you can run one switch to multiple relays, I have done this on my truck because I ran 2 sperate wires to my front driving lights (I had plenty of wire so why not). Therefore I flip one switch, it triggers 2 relays and each of my 130 watt front driving lights in connected to it's own fuse. Therefore if I blow a fuse I still have the other light working. More importantly, I laid in cable for future growth and can easily wire a second switch if I ever switched to 4 lamps on my front bumper.

Thank you Dannyboy, I have a set of reverse lights that I'm going to hook up (no switch for this one) using a relay. I'd like to disconnect the reverse lights and replace them with aftermarkets outside the lamp... maybe this might require a change in wiring? Does the shifter in the R position go to a relay in the engine compartment fuse box?

What witchcraft is this??!!

I see our mysterious green wire... and the 4 prong outlet leads to it!:eek: There is a blue wire there also... hmm.

Attachments

• IMGA0723.JPG
    IMGA0723.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 772
  • IMGA0724.JPG
    IMGA0724.JPG
    110.8 KB · Views: 771

Just because it's green on the 150, dosn't mean it's the same as the Ex. I was just trying to help;)

OOPS, stic-o still could be right. I went and looked at my wire harness again, the blue wire Donner is for trailer brakes, the green wire is an unknown to me.

On my ex the blue wire dead ends by trailer connecter and leads to both rear brakes leading me to think its for trailer brakes. I could be wrong so someone correct me if i am. I only am 100% about where the blue wire goes to, not 100% about what it does.

It's aalllll good!

That's okay... There are 7 wires in, 5 wires out, and 4 wires to the outlet... The green is accounted for (left turn signal, I belve)

Attachments

• IMGA0729.JPG
    IMGA0729.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 776
  • IMGA0728.JPG
    IMGA0728.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 756

so how are you going to wire them up then? Will you use a relay and connect it to the reverse lights?

That sounds like the best way to go...

i tried to get my neighbor to help me figure out something. He had a ton of things to do this weekend so. I had hoped to be able to help you do your lights like mine but he is working.

I'll be waiting :) Thank you!

Donner just install the first relay like you had said you were going to do, and i will ask him how to add a second one to the parking lights when i get a chance to talk with him.

My backup lights come on only when i am in reverse and the parking lights are on, this way they stay off during the day. I have two relays one connected to parking lights, the other to the back light wire. I also have a hot lead going from the battery to the back of my ex to power the lights.

Will do...

Donner just install the first relay like you had said you were going to do, and i will ask him how to add a second one to the parking lights when i get a chance to talk with him.

My backup lights come on only when i am in reverse and the parking lights are on, this way they stay off during the day. I have two relays one connected to parking lights, the other to the back light wire. I also have a hot lead going from the battery to the back of my ex to power the lights.

We start again in the morning... i'm about to pass out :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Last edited by Donner; 08-02-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Front bumper is next... wicked!

You just can't seem to get a break can you? ;) Can't wait to see what you've got planned.

Back