• Register Today It's free!

Cold air intake question

jordan1948

Reaction score
City, State
Heiskell, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 4X4 Limited
I plan on doing a cold air intake sometime in the next week or so but I'm not buying a pre-fabbed deal on acount of it costs twice as much than just buying the parts and assembling them. My question is what do I do with the two tubes I have circuled in red?
HPIM5722-1.jpg

HPIM5721.jpg

They obviously go somewhere and do something but I'm not sure what or if I even need them with the CAI.
Also don't mind the dust I used to live in the middle of nowhere in TX

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disconnect them. and let them hang there....or plug them....either, doesn't matter.

Ryan

Thanks Ryan

That wouldn't be a good idea to just leave those vacuum lines open, and plugged? you would be throwing off the computer's information about how cold the air it's getting is. The best thing would be to remove that bi-metal switch from the housing, reconnect the vacuum lines and maybe mount that sensor to a small bracket somewhere close by, protected from the engine's heat.

What if when I install the new intake tubing I put and aditional hole in it so the computer can still read it?

Ryan's explorer, my explorer, and my roommate pog89's explorer all have one of the lines plugged and the other gone, works fine. In fact when you install a pre-fabbed KKM intake or IFab intake it tells you to plug the one. I say one because you will find that one is indeed a vacuum line to the engine, that needs to be plugged. The other one only goes down to the intake tube from your headlight to your box where the butterfly for warming the engine up faster is. Since you won't have a stock airbox that is useless anyway, I took mine all the way out as did my roommate so that second line is entirely gone sitting with the tubing on a shelf somewhere in my garage.

If you don't want to take everything out just plug both with a small bolt or something, call it good and don't worry about it.

That wouldn't be a good idea to just leave those vacuum lines open, and plugged? you would be throwing off the computer's information about how cold the air it's getting is. The best thing would be to remove that bi-metal switch from the housing, reconnect the vacuum lines and maybe mount that sensor to a small bracket somewhere close by, protected from the engine's heat.

The bi-metal sensor does act like a thermostatic switch, but is not connected to any electrical sensor or computer. As such you can simply unplug the vacuum hoses from it and plug them (with a bolt) and you'll be good to go.

BTW if you haven't read it yet check out TBar's 1st Gen Cold air intake thread it has lots of pics and info (and details on how to handle those vacuum lines).

Thanks jtb1689 and DeRocha. I was afraid I was gonna have to do some modification to the intake tube but I'm just gonna do like you all said and plug the tubes.

Back